Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:56 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

Victory! Good to see that sometimes, we can over power the left and the PC police.

What I would give real money to have heard... Is the arguments at A&E about it... THAT would be entertainment worth seeing

Old 12-27-2013, 06:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Politics: Jesse Jackson: Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson was exercising his 'white privilege' | Best of Cain

Old 12-27-2013, 06:05 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Should we sensor people so that a very slim minority won't be offended? A minority that chances are don't even watch the show? Who gets to decide what is appropriate? Where does it stop? I for one don't want to live in a sanitized world. I like a little color and I like the fact people can speak freely even when their beliefs differ from mine.
Now if it is an elected rep I expect honesty at all times. Yet our elected reps feel perfectly free to lie to us and misrepresent facts. That is where everyone's outrage should be. Not with some old geezer from a reality TV show.
Bring back "Amos & Andy"!!!

Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Instead they jumped on the PC bandwagon and were totally humiliated. Good for the Robertson family for sticking together.
I had never watched the show and had absolutely no interest in ever watching before all the stink. If anything A&E and the haters made me curious about it. Maybe that was A&E's goal all along. I would wager that DD's product sales jumped. They got a ton of free advertising out of it.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Smart move by A&E. This controversy has done wonders for their viewership and revenues. Most reality shows have a short shelf life so rake it in while you can. Let's see if Phil tones it down.

Exactly, this is nothing more than a planned bit of controversy to up viewership and get more merchandise moving right before Christmas. And their lame brained followers chewed it right up.

PS. A&E owns the rights to Duck Dynasty and its merchandise. It will not be going anywhere.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:20 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
A&E is owned by Disney, that are big democratic political contributors. Every racist and redneck in the country is going to be watching the show, to "show durrr christian values" all the meantime A&E is going to be raking in cash to use for the 2014 political cycle.

Not a bad move

Old 12-27-2013, 06:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I saw that on ABC tonight. The reporter reported that "A&E blinked".
I would say that's exactly what happened. Follow the money. A&E caved like yesterday's house of cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I had never watched the show and had absolutely no interest in ever watching before all the stink. If anything A&E and the haters made me curious about it. Maybe that was A&E's goal all along. I would wager that DD's product sales jumped. They got a ton of free advertising out of it.
Same here. Turned it on the other night and it was a mind-numbingly boring as I had predicted. Ugh.

To each his own. My son likes Honey Boo Boo and I can't stand that one either. He's not crazy about Dance Moms' so I guess it's all relative.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I would say that's exactly what happened. Follow the money. A&E caved like yesterday's house of cards.

Same here. Turned it on the other night and it was a mind-numbingly boring as I had predicted. Ugh.

To each his own. My son likes Honey Boo Boo and I can't stand that one either. He's not crazy about Dance Moms' so I guess it's all relative.
I didn't find it boring, but then I didn't enjoy it all that much either. I found parts amusing and some parts just stupid. The wife spraying Doe in heat urine on herself was pretty amusing. She thought it was scent blocker or something.
Overall I give the show a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.
John and Kate plus 8 I gave a -10 on the same scale.
I really don't like reality TV.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:27 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
I watched it for about 2 months and quit because it was boring and they just rehashed everything over and over again. The only funny part I saw was when they took their wives hunting. The Hawaii show was horrible.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:28 PM

278 posts, read 273,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Like it or not, the right wing is so vast in this country that Robertson could have easily signed on with any other network due to the shows popularity among that demographic. Glenn Beck was salivating to give thrm a contract for his network ("the Blaze"?). At least, a& E is devoting some effort to promote inclusiveness in other ways. You know Mormon Beck wouldn't have done that. As for me, it'd no big deal. If you don't want to watch dumb hillbillies on Tv, no need to watch em
I am no right winger yet I enjoy the show a lot. Its hilarious. I am also no christian...Sometimes people just gotta realize when they are wrong and this is one of those times..you don't have to be a "redneck" or a "hillbilly" to enjoy a show,Just like you don't have to be Italian or a Guido to enjoy Jersey Shore which I also enjoyed watching. People and their labels sheesh. Sometimes when people call names it just goes to show how they really feel that they lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies