Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times

Advertisements

Don't know what I think about this when so many Americans can't find work.

In a good economy, the more the merrier. I'm very pro-immigration. But in a bad economy like we have now this is just a way for employers to be lazy by not having to teach new skills and it leave millions of Americans in the dust. How can we expect people to find work if we just import immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 12:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Don't know what I think about this when so many Americans can't find work.

In a good economy, the more the merrier. I'm very pro-immigration. But in a bad economy like we have now this is just a way for employers to be lazy by not having to teach new skills and it leave millions of Americans in the dust. How can we expect people to find work if we just import immigrants?
Who's is "we" ?
It's certainly not the Federal Government who make the immigration rules.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:05 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Jobs that apparently no unemployed American wanted.
I hope you know these are jobs that are not alot of Americans qualify. There is lack of candidates on the fields (STEM fields) because most Americans prefer go to college for Humanity, English, etc.

I know this because as a senior engineer I help to recruit fresh candidate in my company.

Do they get paid less than their fellow Americans? Nope.
USCIS has regulations that basically ensure that these workers get the same amount of salaries that their American counterparts get.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:06 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Who's is "we" ?
It's certainly not the Federal Government who make the immigration rules.
Don't understand what you are saying.

The federal government is the one who gives out these Visas, is it not?

Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
There are some misunderstandings:

(1) H1B visa requires that the salary is no less than the average. i.e. If a company hires a software engineer for $30k, it won't be approved. It has to be $60k at least. The federal government controls it.

(2) Many H1B visa holders have a US degree. The law says those who have a US degree should be preferred.
I agree with this.
For once we agree on something, Betta! :P

Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, you cannot take a two week course in a language and then get hired as a coder in that language. And no, coders are not entry level jobs. I know many coders who have been coding for well over 20 years. Having said that, most of the H1B workers are coders.

Coders are one of the lowest rungs on the IT ladder. Yes you can take a one week course and get hired to code IF you already have an IT background. I took a one week ColdFusion class before taking an assignment because that is the tool used on that project. I did not mean you can just take a class without previous industry experience. I got off the coding treadmill years ago and moved to change management.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There are all kinds of people in America who could be trained for those jobs. And a lot of the Indian H1Bs don't know what the hell they're doing either.
In order for you to get H1B, you need to get graduate degree and sometimes (most likely) graduate degree. So "training" or "technical school" does not qualify for such jobs. The question now: do Americans want to go to college majoring in STEM? Alot of them don't have the capacity. They opt to easier majors like English or humanities.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Define "founded" google, intel and ebay and yahoo and I'm not sure you understand the difference between HB1 visa and those who came here like when they were 10 or when their parents moved here!! They also had CO founder AMERICANS!! you know the country that promotes capitalism for the exception of maybe google. Nothing wrong with immigration and being an American citizen I can assure you these founders were Americans not Hb1 visa imports.
For a lot of top talent in US the H1B visa was the first step towards green card, and citizenship. I know personally know many such people.

Quote:
How about we let them come here and live here and they apply for US citizen ship.

Just remove the Hb1 status and pay them normal US economic prices lets see how that works for US companies because for them its about cutting labor costs just like if we shipped in Mexicans do to all the fast food work and removed every other American and paid them all min wage including the store managers and district managers to save money
That's what they do.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
In order for you to get H1B, you need to get graduate degree and sometimes (most likely) graduate degree. So "training" or "technical school" does not qualify for such jobs. The question now: do Americans want to go to college majoring in STEM? Alot of them don't have the capacity. They opt to easier majors like English or humanities.
This is not true and is a myth, there is no shortage of STEM majors in the U.S. I actually know quite a few people with STEM backgrounds that are unemployed or underemployed. Employers are using the H1B system to pay cheaper salaries.

Study finds there may not be a shortage of American STEM graduates after all - The Washington Post

Old 12-31-2013, 12:24 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
This is not true and is a myth, there is no shortage of STEM majors in the U.S. I actually know quite a few people with STEM backgrounds that are unemployed or underemployed. Employers are using the H1B system to pay cheaper salaries.

Study finds there may not be a shortage of American STEM graduates after all - The Washington Post
STEM includes many things. Biology majors always have difficulties, but it is not the same as computer science majors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies