Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Animal rights activists are nuts.

There's already laws on animal cruelty if the horses are being mistreated.
Sure they are. Why should animals have rights not to be mistreated - beaten, starved, abandoned, abused? It must take away some perverse pleasure for certain individuals who think that animals are worthless and shouldn't be cared for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Where does it state that the horses will be killed if carriages are outlawed? Seeing as how this ban would serve to protect animals, I'm sure that a solution as to what to do with the horses would not involve euthanizing them. They may be turned over to the ASPCA and rehomed to a farm or horse owners may buy them. The only "purpose" they serve are to their owners that make money off of them.
I doubt that there'll be a collective disposition of the horses as I imaging they're individually owned. It will be up to the owners to decide their fates.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Pretty soon, the NYPD will all be on bicyles. Pull over. Ding, ding. Ding, ding. For those of us who don't live there, it will make Law & Order SVU interesting.
There is a huge difference between the working hours and care of mounted police horses in the NYPD and those that own carriage horses. No surprise that someone that doesn't live in NYC doesn't know this.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why would the owner mistreat an animal that he has to rely on for his living?

I find it funny to have a mayor that argues that a horse is being mistreated for pulling a carriage but it's O.K. to stop black men and frisk them simply because of the color of their skin.
I don't recall deBlasio making that comparison, unlike you.

FYI, white people (men and women) are also stopped and frisked and the stop and frisk takes place in areas that are known to be drug invested and high crime.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:38 PM

169 posts, read 195,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I doubt that there'll be a collective disposition of the horses as I imaging they're individually owned. It will be up to the owners to decide their fates.
Odds are they will be sold to a 'wholesaler" who then will haul them to Mexico for slaughter.

Few people care about adopting old horses.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How so? Because the right wing media told you that will happen while ignoring all the facts about why New York is the way it is today.
LOL. You seemed to have missed the fact that for the past 20 years it was a republican that held the office of Mayor of NYC. Thanks for pointing out that they are responsible for why New York is the way it is today. deBlasio is the first democrat to be elected as Mayor in 20 years.

Bloomberg, a republican, ran as a republican in 2002 and flipped over to being an independent in the 2007 re-election knowing that as a republican he would not have been elected.

He has done extreme harm to the city and to the people and the idiot is proud of it.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
There is a huge difference between the working hours and care of mounted police horses in the NYPD and those that own carriage horses. No surprise that someone that doesn't live in NYC doesn't know this.
It shouldn't be hard for you to show the poor conditions the carriage horses live under then.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I don't recall deBlasio making that comparison, unlike you.

FYI, white people (men and women) are also stopped and frisked and the stop and frisk takes place in areas that are known to be drug invested and high crime.
You go right on defending policies like this. Luckily the courts are disagreeing.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
LOL. You seemed to have missed the fact that for the past 20 years it was a republican that held the office of Mayor of NYC. Thanks for pointing out that they are responsible for why New York is the way it is today. deBlasio is the first democrat to be elected as Mayor in 20 years.

Bloomberg, a republican, ran as a republican in 2002 and flipped over to being an independent in the 2007 re-election knowing that as a republican he would not have been elected.

He has done extreme harm to the city and to the people and the idiot is proud of it.
And yet, you made sure to defend the idiot and his policies.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And I would think that alternatives would be offered to the owners. There are probably owners that do care for their horses and if they can't keep them would surrender them or look to rehome them. Then there are those that will see their income disappear and blame the horse and abandon it or sell it to be slaughtered. Those are the ones that really wouldn't have cared about their horse and wouldn't think twice about disposing it for a few bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies