Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:12 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,443,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'Dr. Diane Harper was a leading expert responsible for the Phase II and Phase III safety and effectiveness studies which secured the approval of the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccines, Gardasil™ and Cervarix™.

Dr. Harper also authored many of the published, scholarly papers about the vaccines.

She is now the latest in a long string of experts who are pressing the red alert button on the devastating consequences and irrelevancy of these vaccines.
More sheeple stuff. Perfect for people who want to get pitch forks without truth. Take old discredited reports, repackage them, and republish. Hopefully people forget the story was discredited?

snopes.com: Urgent Warning About Gardasil

Old 01-17-2014, 10:12 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,883,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Dr. Harper feels that the HPV vaccine has been oversold. She says that regular pap smears are a far more effective measure at preventing cervical cancer then the vaccine and she is concerned that the vaccine does not have long lasting effects (only lasting 4 or 5 years). I agree with her on all counts.
I don't.

Quote:
How long does vaccine protection last?
Research suggests that vaccine protection is long-lasting. Current studies have followed vaccinated individuals for six years, and show that there is no evidence of weakened protection over time.
HPV Vaccine Information For Young Women

Old 01-17-2014, 10:16 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,443,827 times
People seem to forget this is a vac against HPV. Even if not all HPV turns into cancer. . .a lot of people are saved from the harm, damage, and lifestyle impact of having warts

I mean fricken Genital warts

if your going to have sex . . .seems like a vac against the most common STD isn't a bad idea

warts

on your vagina

that can't feel good

Old 01-17-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Monogamy, condoms and very regular pap smears.
FYI, a pap smear is not a cure, it is a diagnostic test. If a pap smear is positive, it means you most likely already have cervical cancer and now will require extensive exoneration surgery and chemotherapy. We all know that chemotherapy has no side effects, don't we?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:19 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,808,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
People seem to forget this is a vac against HPV. Even if not all HPV turns into cancer. . .a lot of people are saved from the harm, damage, and lifestyle impact of having warts

I mean fricken Genital warts

if your going to have sex . . .seems like a vac against the most common STD isn't a bad idea

warts

on your vagina

that can't feel good
The HPV vaccine offers zero protection for the HPV strains that cause genital warts. Do some research and stop spreading misinformation all over the internet.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The CDC disagrees with you. Pap smears prevent cancer.

CDC - Cervical Cancer Prevention

I believe the real issue with this vaccine is that the religious right wants to discourage premarital sex by having a threat of life threatening diseases out there.

Quote:
New Rule: If you don’t think your daughter getting cancer is worse than your daughter having sex, then you’re doing it wrong. Last year, science came up with a way to greatly reduce cervical cancer in young women. It’s a vaccine that prevents women from getting HPV, which is a sexually transmitted disease that acts as a gateway to the cancer. And the vaccine is so good, it could wipe out HPV.

Now for the bad news: Not everyone is pleased with this vaccine. That prevents cancer. Christian parent groups and churches nationwide are fighting it. Bridget Maher — no relation, and none planned — of the Family Research Council says giving girls the vaccine is bad, because the girls “may see it as a license to engage in premarital sex.”
Christians crusade against cancer vaccine

Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,357,230 times
Quote:
Early detection is prevention. What is your problem? You seem much more interested in being snarky then you do in having a genuine conversation regarding cervical cancer prevention.

The point of the HPV vaccine is not to prevent HPV, it is to prevent cervical cancer which is caused by certain strains of HPV. Pap smears serve to detect pre-cancer and when it is caught early enough as it would be due to regular screening. It can be treated prior to turning into invasive cancer.

Do you have kids? Have they or will they be vaccinated?

Do you believe that mammograms prevent deaths from breast cancer? Of course not because they are just a screening tool. Right?
I'm a nurse, as well. If I had a young daughter, you bet I'd have her vaccinated. I have a grown son. Had he been younger when this vaccine came out, I would have had him vaccinated. The HPV strains 6, 11, 16 and 18 can cause everything from genital warts to cervical cancer to oropharyngeal cancers.
As for the Pap test, we're arguing semantics. It's an excellent screening tool but doesn't prevent cancer in and of itself.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 AM

13,717 posts, read 9,050,826 times
Quote:
The HPV vaccine offers zero protection for the HPV strains that cause genital warts. Do some research and stop spreading misinformation all over the internet.

Home

Several times I have read that Gardasil does help prevent the type that can cause genital warts. Gardasil also claims to.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm a nurse, as well. If I had a young daughter, you bet I'd have her vaccinated. I have a grown son. Had he been younger when this vaccine came out, I would have had him vaccinated. The HPV strains 6, 11, 16 and 18 can cause everything from genital warts to cervical cancer to oropharyngeal cancers.
As for the Pap test, we're arguing semantics. It's an excellent screening tool but doesn't prevent cancer in and of itself.
I had both my sons vaccinated. A brother of mine had cancer of the base of his tongue from the HPV virus. I love my children too much to ever have them go through what I witnessed by brother go throught!

Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,808,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
FYI, a pap smear is not a cure, it is a diagnostic test. If a pap smear is positive, it means you most likely already have cervical cancer and now will require extensive exoneration surgery and chemotherapy. We all know that chemotherapy has no side effects, don't we?

I never said that pap smears cure cancer. If someone who gets regular pap exam test positive that means that the test detected abnormal cells and the vast majority of those cases are caught in the precancerous stage. In this stage, the treatment is highly effective and does not require chemotherapy. The death rate from cervical cancer has decreased by 70% since it was introduced, 50 years ago. Regular pap screening does prevent cervical cancer as well as death from cervical cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies