Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times

Advertisements

What makes white privilege so insidious is that those that benefit from it, can't see it. It's like a ghost that everyone in the room can see except the person being haunted by that ghost.

Wealthy/powerful white men understand this best and use it to their advantage; either to endear themselves to minorities (liberal politicians, benevolent philanthropists) or to stir up emotions in working class and middle class whites (conservative politicians). Consequently, middle class and working class whites end up standing on the opposite side of the fence from people of color whom they have more in common with. Think about how many discussions you see where middle income white men support decisions made by big business even though they're the group most likely to suffer the consequences.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
The last divide we will conquer will be that between the intelligent and the ignorant.
I just felt like I'd like to repost that.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 PM

34 posts, read 49,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Calipoppy, this is a fantastically wise story. Thank you.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 PM

373 posts, read 589,590 times
Easy to solve the problem, really. Just give each race/ethnicity/culture its own space. Don't believe me? Look at a map of the world and read a history book. You'll soon realize that the most stable places in the world, today, and yesterday were/are racially and ethnically/culturally homogenous. Its just a fact of life. All that other stuff is bunk.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:03 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willikers View Post
What do you do and/or wish everyone would do that helps to promote understanding and comfort and a sense of belonging and togetherness and trust between all people?
I know the answer. I mean, looking at my forum name; Galileo Smith, how could I not know? Here is what has to be done; we all must forget race. We must be oblivious to it. This mean whites, blacks, Asian, all of us. It could be done over a couple of generations with the national anti-smoking campaign as a model. No race-specific clubs, magazines, or organizations. With the exception of medical science, seeing race in your fellow human would unacceptable, like lighting-up a cigarette in a crowded public place.

I have stated this same sentiment from time to time in various forums, and there have usually been a couple of people who admit that they would never do it. Their race means too much to them.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:40 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Intermarriage among races and ethnic groups is the answer. My grandmother said it 40 years ago and I think she was right. I think it's the only answer. The rest is just talking in circles.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:54 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
In a nutshell, equality for all, including laws, languages, dress codes, rights, etc, etc.

IMO, inequality breeds contempt.

No one race, creed, religion or any other group gets ANY preferencial treatment for ANY reason.
If a uniform is a uniform, it is called (uniform, meaning the SAME) that for a reason. All must wear it as it is created.
If someone is allowed to do something, then ALL must be allowed to do the same thing.

All are punished equally for the same crime. (except youth of course)

Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM

887 posts, read 1,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willikers View Post
What do you do and/or wish everyone would do that helps to promote understanding and comfort and a sense of belonging and togetherness and trust between all people?
I think trying to accept everyone as an individual based on the merits of their character is the best placed to start. I live in the south now and enjoy blue collar work, I typically wear my head shaved. Out of ignorance people think that I'm somebody they can make racial jokes with, but I'm pretty quick to tell them that type of humor is not okay with me. It's ugly and demeaning. The more people around to hear my perspective the greater the satisfaction that I am not perpetuating that type of stereotyping.

Prejudice is in our nature however. We all fear or do not understand other's experiences in all cases. I personally have a tough time with white males, who have two arms, two legs, can speak clearly, and pan handle. I don't understand what possible excuse they can have for not getting and holding gainful employment. I don't act on this prejudice, but I clearly feel it.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:20 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
I just do not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies