Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So jobs havent been offshored?
What minimum wage jobs can be "offshored?" Hotel housekeepers? Nursing home assistants? Fast food workers? Cashiers and retail workers?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:35 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
FEW AMERICANS MAKE THE MINIMUM WAGE.

and

THE MINIMUM WAGE WAS NOT MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPORTING A FAMILY.

These are the flawed arguments many people make when they tell us the minimum wage at $7.25 an hour is just fine where it is.
Less than 6% of Americans work for minimum wage. So how is that a flawed argument?

The lowest paying jobs aren't meant to support a family. How is that a flawed statement?

The flawed argument is the notion that you can increase the lowest pay to some arbitrary number and think it's going to solve the problem. The problem is that there are too many people willing to work entry level jobs, and are content to stay there.

If the minimum wage is raised, there better be a motivation clause.

A minimum wage slug will still be a slug no matter how much they're paid.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What minimum wage jobs can be "offshored?" Hotel housekeepers? Nursing home assistants? Fast food workers? Cashiers and retail workers?
Raising minimum wage affects more than just minimum wage jobs..

Old 01-20-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So it won't cause any job loss???!!!
Nope. Increasing minimum wage increases spending. Increased spending increases demand for services and products. Increased demand for services and products increases jobs.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Raising minimum wage affects more than just minimum wage jobs..

How so? And what jobs would become offshored?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
How so? And what jobs would become offshored?
When manufacturing jobs get offshored, this unemploys millions of individuals who must now go out and look for work, and oftentimes the only thing left is minimum wage jobs, thus making it more difficult for everyone to find work.

You increase minimum wage, cost of burgers, and lots of other things go up, which affects EVERYONE, so that $15 an hour you were making before, is now worth less because everythign costs more..

We dont live in fairy land, where the costs can just be made up by imagining money is there that isnt.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Nope. Increasing minimum wage increases spending. Increased spending increases demand for services and products. Increased demand for services and products increases jobs.
You left out the most important part of your equation....... It increases the cost of those goods and you're back where you start.

It's called the inflation spiral.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
My goodness!!!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
No it wouldnt, it would just raise the cost of things like food, housing, etc, and thus increase the standards for assistance.

Thats like saying we dont need welfare anymore because we raised the minimum wage over how many years.. Ridiculous
And what does this have to do with my post?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:43 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,350 times
Originally Posted by swagger
Thank you!

Which ones are pretending?

Tell you what. If you're willing to come to Las Vegas (who doesn't want to visit Vegas??) and sign a non-disclosure agreement, I'm willing to give you a tour of my office, show you our articles of incorporation which lists me as an owner and even buy you a beer. Let me know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would love to have a tour of your "business" and any other "business" you cons claim to be all owners of. Or as I like to say, unemployed people pretending to be in business for themselves.
You know what they say about assumptions.

The fact that you suggest that "cons" are somehow pretending to be business owners says loads about your critical thinking skills. I happen to know swagger, and he runs quite a successful business that took he and his wife years to build from scratch.

The only thing that separates most of us (besides age and experience) is our political leanings. You have taken the premise of what makes us different to an entirely new level. Epic fail on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies