Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Show me anything that correlates offshored jobs with raising minimum wage. Personally, I don't want our country to be in a race to the bottom of wages.
They are offshorring jobs to get lower wages are they not?

So increasing wages here, would indeed incentivize them to offshore more jobs.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I never said that... I said they didnt offshore jobs due to minimum wage increases. As soon as companies realized they could get the same product for 1/5 of the cost it was a wrap.

I would love to know why you keep talking about offshoring jobs. Minimum wage jobs arent offshored... and those who lost jobs due to offshoring have to compete for jobs whether minimum wage is $4 or $14.

Increasing the minimum wage will put more money into consumerd hands.. this isnt about gaining on the big boats, its about keeping their heads above water.
Everytime you increase the cost to do business, the more incentive a business has to go abroad where its cheaper. It doesnt matter if its labor costs, building costs, or taxes.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Apparently he thinks that some guy in India can phone in his coffee order.
So you are happy that the only jobs left are cashier positions?

What type of business is it again that you were going to start and pay a mimimum wage of $25 an hour?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They are offshorring jobs to get lower wages are they not?

So increasing wages here, would indeed incentivize them to offshore more jobs.
Again, show me something with substance.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Everytime you increase the cost to do business, the more incentive a business has to go abroad where its cheaper. It doesnt matter if its labor costs, building costs, or taxes.
Walmart can move to China for all I care!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
So you are happy that the only jobs left are cashier positions?

What type of business is it again that you were going to start and pay a mimimum wage of $25 an hour?
Let the cheap !#%#%$@$# companies move their cashier jobs to China too!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Unless they don't have a job. The FR was created to control economic turmoil in 1913 when other world powers were gaining strength after a relatively unchallenged time of American power. You think the GD occurred because the stock market crashed? You'd be wrong, it occurred because of an excess of labor due to the electromechanical revolution. The only thing that saved America was WW II.

You're no longer being saved by being the lone industrial complex still intact after WW II and it's been that way since the 70's. Raising the minimum wage is stupid knowing you have surplus labor and you're competing with countries that quite frankly make most of your new entrants look like habilis.

Anyways, I don't really care how heart felt your intentions are. You have zero proof that a bleeding heart has helped you stay in your liberal bubble and everything you point to as proof that you've saved America is facing economic turmoil as you refuse to even look at how you're going to pay for it over the long term. Maybe you missed the Dec. CBO report that says your going to be taxing more than ever and in the next 11 years the US economy will still increase its debt to GDP ratio to 100% because you still haven't told anyone how you're going to pay for your welfare state.

I know, let's do something stupid and raise the minimum wage because Jimmy Carter era labor force participation rates were too good and we need something like 1930's LFPR. Never mind how that affects your ability to pay for that welfare state you already can't pay for...
No, I don't not think the stock market crash caused the Great Depression, it was already in process before it happened, it just happened to be the final straw that made it to the papers to symbolize the crash.

Also, those industrial jobs that we have lost were not minimum wage jobs.

Please, don't give me that "heart felt" crap. Wanting to increase minimum wage isn't some "heart felt" thing, that is just a lie your right wing media feeds you.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:

Wanting to increase minimum wage isn't some "heart felt" thing.
Nonsense-it is heartfelt, and brain dead. Now pushing those in McJobs into improving their skills would be the wise, and kindest thing to do.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
No, I don't not think the stock market crash caused the Great Depression, it was already in process before it happened, it just happened to be the final straw that made it to the papers to symbolize the crash.

Also, those industrial jobs that we have lost were not minimum wage jobs.

Please, don't give me that "heart felt" crap. Wanting to increase minimum wage isn't some "heart felt" thing, that is just a lie your right wing media feeds you.
I knew my math teacher was a right wing nut job. How can 1+1=2?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Let the cheap !#%#%$@$# companies move their cashier jobs to China too!
Clearly you dont want to discuss the issue with anything of substance.. Enjoy your day. Let me know when you start making payroll..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies