Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 07:17 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How does that help the discussion? If you want to talk about how to become a millionaire in a separate topic, I am glad to participate otherwise this is off topic.
It seems to go hand in hand with this discussion. But I understand if you don't want to talk about it because I highly doubt you are a millionaire wage earner.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How do you know the employer has a net loss? Raising the minimum wage doesn't automatically mean the employer no longer has a profit and now has a loss of money.

The answer is less income, not necessarily loss of income. And again, there are multiple ways for an employer to handle it.
So the employers, who are working people themselves, just need to cut their income to pay you while you produce no more value or profit for the employers?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
So the employers, who are working people themselves, just need to cut their income to pay you while you produce no more value or profit for the employers?
How does the employer increase their value to justify increasing their own wages? Also, what if the employees do increase productivity and their work value and the only one seeing the extra profits is the employer?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,410 times
Quote:
How do you know the employer has a net loss? Raising the minimum wage doesn't automatically mean the employer no longer has a profit and now has a loss of money.

The answer is less income, not necessarily loss of income. And again, there are multiple ways for an employer to handle it.
Are you kidding me ? LOL this statement right here shows exactly WHY you dont know business 101 .

How do i know ? Because i OWN a business unlike you.

Do you know what + and - is ? If i make 5k profit a week and now i am making 4k profit a week due to wage increases , this is a LOSS aka decrease. Less income = loss of income ... None of my overhead costs to keep the business running goes down in fees/prices .

This has nothing to do with oh well you make enough money so you can afford it.

You just said it yourself , the employer pays for the increase from his income .

So now to the 2nd part of the question , If i am losing money now how do i make up the difference? Would you agree that i would have to raise my prices by a small margarin to counter the difference so that my income goes back to where it was ?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
FEW AMERICANS MAKE THE MINIMUM WAGE.

and

THE MINIMUM WAGE WAS NOT MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPORTING A FAMILY.

These are the flawed arguments many people make when they tell us the minimum wage at $7.25 an hour is just fine where it is.

Yes, few people make- to the exact penny- the amount of the minimum wage. But an ever increasing number of Americans who are supporting themselves, or even a family, are making close to the minimum wage.

AND

While years ago the minimum wage (or close to it) was designed to be for entry level jobs or for kids working part time in High School, this is no longer the case. Now days millions of Americans will face a life time of working in jobs close to the minimum wage. Yes, some of them will get promoted and live the American dream but as a greater percent of American jobs pay under $9.00 an hour, there will be millions of new close to minimum wage workers taking their place.

AND:

Why we can say these minimum wage workers should get their act in gear and learn new skills, in many communities the only jobs available are low wage labor that pay close to the minimum wage. And with the flood of immigrants with poor language and job skills, employers whose business model uses easily exploitable low wage labor is booming.

Raise the minimum wage now!
Raising the minimum wage is a winner politically, but a modest minimum wage increase has powerful enemies.

Powerful business interests(plutocrats) are afraid of populism in politics, terrified that Americans of all sorts will focus on their overwhelming wealth, power and influence in politics, so these business interests spend huge sums of money to fight those efforts.

There is I think is a cancerous political ideology(modern American conservatism) that is based on exclusion, hatred, fear, military aggression, and economic elitism that has taken control of the one of the political parties completely and part of the other one, and this ideology hates the idea of a minimum wage increase and uses all its power and huge sums of money to fight those efforts.

Finally, the minimum wage is perceived to help groups of people that are hated by plutocrats and conservatives, which even further distorts the debate.

If we had rational political discussions in this nation the choice could be presented to voters, hey the economic impact of a modest minimum wage increase is in some dispute.

There is some evidence that there maybe a slight drop in employment and there is some evidence that there is no drop in employment. But a modest minimum wage increase also will lift a lot of American families out of poverty. The choice is yours.

Instead what we get are nasty attacks on the groups of people making minimum wage, their intelligence, work ethic, family choices, morality, etc are all denigrated by plutocrats and conservatives.

Also we get outlandish fear mongering about the economic impact of a modest minimum wage increase that is far from any economic data.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
It seems to go hand in hand with this discussion. But I understand if you don't want to talk about it because I highly doubt you are a millionaire wage earner.
Those that make over $80,000 per year

Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Are you kidding me ? LOL this statement right here shows exactly WHY you dont know business 101 .

How do i know ? Because i OWN a business unlike you.

Do you know what + and - is ? If i make 5k profit a week and now i am making 4k profit a week due to wage increases , this is a LOSS aka decrease. Less income = loss of income ... None of my overhead costs to keep the business running goes down in fees/prices .

This has nothing to do with oh well you make enough money so you can afford it.

You just said it yourself , the employer pays for the increase from his income .

So now to the 2nd part of the question , If i am losing money now how do i make up the difference? Would you agree that i would have to raise my prices by a small margarin to counter the difference so that my income goes back to where it was ?
You just said you have a profit of $4K, doesn't sound like you are losing money to me, sounds like you are turning a profit. If that profit doesn't match what you want it to be, then you can do things to try and increase your own profits like raising prices, lowering quality, reducing hours, and so on, but what happens when you begin to hurt your own business because you tried to increase your profits artificially?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
How does the employer increase their value to justify increasing their own wages? Also, what if the employees do increase productivity and their work value and the only one seeing the extra profits is the employer?
They do that by making the company more profitable not like you who want to make the business less profitable to get a raise.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Did you want me to start commenting in another random thread?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
They do that by making the company more profitable not like you who want to make the business less profitable to get a raise.
So you think if the employees increase their productivity and work value, then that extra value should only be going to the employers? Then what's the point in employees improving their work value if their employer has no interest in rewarding them for the extra productivity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies