Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So your "better stuff" is working for someone else instead of all the hassles of running your business?
Yeah pretty much. Assuming you like what you do. I haven't met many people who opened their own business because they wanted to run a business, generally they do it because having their own business is a way to do what they enjoy, or they need the flexibility for stuff like child rearing. So if you have the opportunity to do what you enjoy without the hassles of running a business why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
in this case, the u.s. performed pretty well, 20th in the world. we also performed far better than countries of a similar size (whether you measure it by population or GDP).

furthermore, the OP and the article do a terrible job of explaining how this particular ranking correlates to job growth. some of the countries that are supposedly "easy to start a business" -- Lithuania, Ireland, Kyrgrzstan -- have very high unemployment rates.
Haha But the US has a very low unemployment rate? 6.7%? Or 92 million people out of 230 million adults capable of working.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Those few with exceptional cognitive abilities that invent something that has the potential to change the world were and continue to be able to achieve greatness. And none of them likely gave a moment's thought to blaming government for what might have been, if only government got out of their way.

50% of all small business fail during the first 5 years. And it has nothing to do with government, federal, state and municipal. Owner inexperience/incompetence is the #1 reason, for failure. Some of these owners learn from the experience and start over. Some never do.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Starting a sole propitiator, register for a DBA and hang out a shingle. That's the easy part. Then they have to separate personal checking from business checking, set up a bookkeeping. They will need money to advertise, stock, someone to man the store and phone, the list goes on.

If business is successful then they need to consider changing status to S-Corp, get council.

I don't know why people who think it's easy isn't doing it instead of complaining about those who do.
I've owned dozens of companies, only one of them have I ever filed as a DBA, and that was only because it routinely had 10K+ customers at one given time, (i.e. football team) and I needed to shield myself in the event anyone, be it a player, or a customer, got injured.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Key words.... "didn't make me a lot of money". Obviously you didn't do things right, (the list is large) and didn't have the product or service that was needed or wanted.
Captain Obvious to the rescue!

The pertinent bit was whether it was hard to start or not, and it wasn't.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Yeah pretty much. Assuming you like what you do. I haven't met many people who opened their own business because they wanted to run a business, generally they do it because having their own business is a way to do what they enjoy, so if you have the opportunity to do what you enjoy without the hassles of running a business why not?
We all have things we enjoy doing but that doesn't mean that we enjoy doing it 7 days a week, 12-16 hours a day. Having money on line, worry if you made the right decision, not knowing if tomorrow business will be good or dry up, paperwork out the zzz, dealing with employees, making sure customers are happy, the list goes on.

Then after all that, getting kicked in the az with massive taxes. No, I'll take it easy, enough to keep it going but to grow it only for government to dig deeper for a bigger money grab, I won't risk it, won't hire more. No thanks.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Who the hell wants to grow the business and take on more responsibility and the government takes too much money.

lol, I agree, I am not busting my butt only for government to take way too much of my earnings. Lets all quit and go on welfare!
I suspect Larry Page and Sergy Bin never gave much thought to busting their butt only to have government take away most of their earnings.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Captain Obvious to the rescue!

The pertinent bit was whether it was hard to start or not, and it wasn't.
Anyone can say I own a business and operate under a sole proprietor. I would think you would want to take it further than that and make good money.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
We all have things we enjoy doing but that doesn't mean that we enjoy doing it 7 days a week, 12-16 hours a day. Having money on line, worry if you made the right decision, not knowing if tomorrow business will be good or dry up, paperwork out the zzz, dealing with employees, making sure customers are happy, the list goes on.

Then after all that, getting kicked in the az with massive taxes. No, I'll take it easy, enough to keep it going but to grow it only for government to dig deeper for a bigger money grab, I won't risk it, won't hire more. No thanks.
Exactly. Though knowing all this I am not sure why you dismiss the idea of joining a larger business?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I suspect Larry Page and Sergy Bin never gave much thought to busting their butt only to have government take away most of their earnings.
lol. Do you know the difference between a s-corp and a c-corp? Very different. C-Corps are generally "big" business.

Google is a "C Corporation" that incorporated in the state of Delaware. It is registered to do business in all other states as a "foreign corporation".

S-corps are generally "small" business. s-corps (flow through entities) which means all profit flows through and is reported on their "personal" income taxes. Just because a small business makes a profit of say $200k does not mean they get to keep it all.

Some of that money must be kept in the business even though they are being taxed on it (retained earnings- at least 3 month minimum oporating expenses so they can pay employees, vendors etc.) If they want to grow the business which usually leads to hiring more people the business owner must keep more money in the business. If government takes too much money instead of money retained in the business it goes to the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies