Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should medical marijuana be legal?
Yes, absolutely! 195 77.38%
Only if it's for medical conditions. 27 10.71%
I'm not sure. 5 1.98%
No 25 9.92%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 05:00 PM

294 posts, read 542,943 times

Advertisements

Okay think of ALLLLLLLLLL the people who are FOR the legalization..I'd say at least 80% of those pro pot have/still do smoke/d to this day. And anyone that is against it will not smoke it whether legal or not because they just don't like it. So my point is whether legal or illegal anyone that smokes typically drives while high, or gets high while driving..I'd say almost all do it..some prefer it hence 'bone cruise' my point being whether legal or not the same amount will be driving while high because if they use now it doesn't matter if it is legal or not they're going to continue to do so...these laws haven't stopped anyone from doing so. So your little rant of how people are stupid to think that marijuana wont create more impaired drivers just shows how 'stupid' you are to think the fact that because it is 'illegal' is slowing down the rate of car wrecks and if it was legal the rate would go up..the rate for people wrecking cars while high on weed are so low, like one said texting/talking on phone while drving is wayyyyy more dangerous yet I see even police doing it on an everyday basis..stop trying to fight it...legalizing it wont turn people to it, people aren't going to say "oh it's legal now maybe I should start smoking it seeing it's legal" no if someone is interested in smoking they will do it whether legal or not because even when illegal it is still very easily accessed. SO why not save peoples time and money focusing on REAL criminals like child predators that get a slap on the wrist for harming little kids and ruining their lives because the jails are too full of 'criminals' like pot users/sellers to be able to put them behind bars...stop fighting the battle because you're going to lose, eventually it is going to be legal state to state whether one likes it or not so save your opinion for when they ask you, which the pro pot people will triple the ones against it...just sayin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 05:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Okay think of ALLLLLLLLLL the people who are FOR the legalization..I'd say at least 80% of those pro pot have/still do smoke/d to this day. And anyone that is against it will not smoke it whether legal or not because they just don't like it. So my point is whether legal or illegal anyone that smokes typically drives while high, or gets high while driving..I'd say almost all do it..some prefer it hence 'bone cruise' my point being whether legal or not the same amount will be driving while high because if they use now it doesn't matter if it is legal or not they're going to continue to do so...these laws haven't stopped anyone from doing so. So your little rant of how people are stupid to think that marijuana wont create more impaired drivers just shows how 'stupid' you are to think the fact that because it is 'illegal' is slowing down the rate of car wrecks and if it was legal the rate would go up..the rate for people wrecking cars while high on weed are so low, like one said texting/talking on phone while drving is wayyyyy more dangerous yet I see even police doing it on an everyday basis..stop trying to fight it...legalizing it wont turn people to it, people aren't going to say "oh it's legal now maybe I should start smoking it seeing it's legal" no if someone is interested in smoking they will do it whether legal or not because even when illegal it is still very easily accessed. SO why not save peoples time and money focusing on REAL criminals like child predators that get a slap on the wrist for harming little kids and ruining their lives because the jails are too full of 'criminals' like pot users/sellers to be able to put them behind bars...stop fighting the battle because you're going to lose, eventually it is going to be legal state to state whether one likes it or not so save your opinion for when they ask you, which the pro pot people will triple the ones against it...just sayin

So by this definition, we should make drunk driving legal because so many people do it.

Just because a certain population does something with complete disregard to the rest of the people on the road does not make it ok. Driving while high should be punished just as severely as driving while drunk.

I don't care if people are smoking pot, that's the least of my worries. However I don't want them on the road and it should be severely punished.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Why do you think that regulated sale would result in more impaired drivers? Pot smokers certainly get behind the wheel every day. From this forum you have direct testimony that current users drive stoned all the time.
That does not make it ok!

What is it with pot smokers and thinking this makes it ok?

Tons of people drink and drive. Alcohol is legal but drinking and driving is illegal and it SHOULD be and is punished severely.

The fact that I have direct testimony from people that get stoned and drive all the time is what makes me think those people are idiots and endangering the lives of others. It makes me sick, it as ignorant as people who get behind the wheel after drinking too much.

You act like I've never been around the stuff before and that I live a sheltered life. I lived the party scene for many years, trust me I've seen it all.. but it doesn't mean I think it is smart or the right thing to do. I grew up.

Last edited by intelfan11315; 01-25-2014 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Okay think of ALLLLLLLLLL the people who are FOR the legalization..I'd say at least 80% of those pro pot have/still do smoke/d to this day.
Proud 20%er here, then.

Quote:
And anyone that is against it will not smoke it whether legal or not because they just don't like it.
Jeremy LaFaver, Missouri Democrat, Arrested For Marijuana Possession - though, this is tough because he voted for lesser penalties.. So, a little flaky.

Anti-Drug Lawmaker Arrested for Marijuana Possession

And you can find others. So.. 'anyone' is not accurate.

I'm fairly libertarian, which basically translates as a fiscal conservative and social liberal.. Take care of my money and so long as you or what you do doesn't screw with me in any way.. have at it.

So, I have no problem with weed being legal for anyone over 21. DUI laws that are already on the books should cover weed, so no need for new laws there. Buying weed for a minor or allowing a minor to partake should be treated under the same statutes as providing or purchasing alcohol for a minor.

Amsterdam has had legalized pot for many years.. For the doom-sayers that legalization is the end of civilization as we know it.. Doesn't seem to be a real problem there.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuterure2006 View Post
Many people happen to be allergic and I for one wouldn't want to be bothered by a stupid pot head.

Many people are allergic to peanuts too.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:42 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Complete and utter ignorance.

I am not a sad clueless person, I'm a person who smoked pot for quite a few years. I have a good understanding of how it affects the mind and body.

Anyone who claims that a person who is high is a better driver loses all credibility in my eye. Just another pot head with a dream to make it legal so they can listen to some Bob Marley.

I don't care if you want to smoke pot, I don't care what you do to your life.. however I don't want to pay for the extra accidents.. I don't want to be on the road with people who are high and I don't want to be paying taxes for people who are injured on the job because they're high. Find a way to test for it on the spot and I'm all for it, even if i do find it stupid.

It's really scary that other people might think like you. Which is exactly why I don't want it legalized.

I don't believe you've smoked mj if you think it affects you like alcohol.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I don't believe you've smoked mj if you think it affects you like alcohol.
I never said it affects you like alcohol. I said it affects your ability to drive safely. Just because it isn't the same as alcohol does not make it safe to drive with.

Texting and driving is not safe for the road, however texting and driving does not affect you like alcohol does either.

TONS of people text and drive, does that mean we should make it legal and not stop people because "everyone will do it anyway" ?

I don't care if you believe me whether or not I smoked in the past. It's not anything cool to do and it's nothing to be proud of. It was one of the dumber choices in my life.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 7,086 times
Definitely seems to me that far more harm comes from weed being illegal than from people smoking it. That is not to say that minors should smoke or that all people will be immune from harm. But it seems to me that putting someone in a cage and branding them for life as a felon when they get out is out of balance with people lounging about after a long day at work and maybe not being super productive. Worst case they become addicted/dependent and seek treatment that is hopefully paid for with tax revenue from the sale of cannabis.

The fact that it can also be grown for relatively little money means that you can take the cartels out of the equation altogether eventually.

Legalize already.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:46 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Legalization has its pros and cons.

I think the pros outweigh the cons....I say legalize it for 21 and up.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:10 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I never said it affects you like alcohol. I said it affects your ability to drive safely. Just because it isn't the same as alcohol does not make it safe to drive with.

Texting and driving is not safe for the road, however texting and driving does not affect you like alcohol does either.

TONS of people text and drive, does that mean we should make it legal and not stop people because "everyone will do it anyway" ?

I don't care if you believe me whether or not I smoked in the past. It's not anything cool to do and it's nothing to be proud of. It was one of the dumber choices in my life.
so you think that even though weed isn't on the same planet as alcohol in terms of impaired motor function and judgment, it should be penalized just as stiffly? that makes a lot of sense. You've got this notion in your head that MJ+cars=huge issue, when history and science has shown clearly thats not the case.

No matter in the end, field tests aren't biologically easy to do, so far as I know they all can be fought and overturned due to their weaknesses. Add in how easy it is to cover up whether or not your high(which in and of itself says something about the nature of MJ), and this is all talk. I'm more worried about generally unconscious, severely distracted and sleep deprived people with no driver training who are out on the roads in droves, every day. MJ is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of our on-road issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies