Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a woman have the right to have the gay gene repaired?
Yes I believe in choice in abortion and gay gene repair 12 41.38%
No I do not believe in choice but yes to gay gene repair 6 20.69%
Yes I believe in choice but not gay gene repair 9 31.03%
No I do not believe in choice or gay gene repair 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 01:07 PM

25,877 posts, read 16,591,624 times

Advertisements

If you feel abortion should stay legal and it should be the choice of the woman then do you believe it should be legal and the parent's choice to repair the X chromosome that has been reported to cause homosexuality in men if that ever becomes an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,267,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If you feel abortion should stay legal and it should be the choice of the woman then do you believe it should be legal and the parent's choice to repair the X chromosome that has been reported to cause homosexuality in men if that ever becomes an option?
Yes it should be the parents choice. Like its the parents choice to off an unborn baby in minors, so it should be legal to prevent future degenerates from being born.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,264,662 times
The gay gene? Is that the same as the straight gene? I don't recall we had discovered the gene that declares our sexuality.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,106,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The gay gene? Is that the same as the straight gene? I don't recall we had discovered the gene that declares our sexuality.
If we did, God gave us the genomes to begin with, so who cares?

Old 01-26-2014, 01:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,439,241 times
There is no such thing. It's genetic predisposition, and environmental factors, like a woman's hormone level while the child is in the womb.

But if they find a genetically modifiable way to prevent homosexuality, I support that, just like I support it for tall kids, or short kids, or smart kids, or blue eyes, or whatever the parents want.

Freedom

Old 01-26-2014, 01:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,377,422 times
What Gay gene? LOL

Old 01-26-2014, 01:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,259,029 times
Gays don't need to be "repaired".

Old 01-26-2014, 01:43 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,308,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Can you please provide the source for your "scientific" statement regarding "gene repair." And since the people who would choose this option because they are bigoted against gays do not believe in either evolution, global warming or science in general, why would they have this "scientific procedure" attempted? Wouldn't they be afraid of what will happen, as I am sure they most likely do believe Frankenstein is actually a documentary.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,439,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Can you please provide the source for your "scientific" statement regarding "gene repair." And since the people who would choose this option because they are bigoted against gays do not believe in either evolution, global warming or science in general, why would they have this "scientific procedure" attempted? Wouldn't they be afraid of what will happen, as I am sure they most likely do believe Frankenstein is actually a documentary.
Well, I wouldn't call them bigots.

What's wrong with wanting your child to be normal. Nothing wrong with abnormalities, blue eyes, for instance are a recessive gene and an abnormality.

But if a parent wants their child to grow up, and be attracted to the opposite sex, who are we to call them bigots? I love my kids, if they grew up and I discovered they were homosexual, I wouldn't love them any less, and I would love them for who they are. But if I could prevent that, so they were like most people, I would. If not only because it passes on my genetic markers, and that of my forefathers better.

There is no gay gene, or one in specific. There are hormonal and genetic factors that play a role in homosexuality.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:53 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,950 times
I really cannot answer this question, because honestly I think it raises a much bigger question about genetic engineering which I am undecided on.

As a society I think we would need to have a fully informed discussion on designer babies once it gets out of the realm of science fiction and I don't think that has happened yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies