Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

I know a guy in Portland who is 62 and lives on Social Security.

A couple years ago, Portland adopted an "arts tax" primarily to maintain funding for school arts programs which was threatened by a school budget squeeze. This tax is a flat $35 on every adult above the federal poverty line. The City wants to tax everyone who lives in Portland at any time during the year, and is using DMV addresses plus registered voters as their targets.

As one might expect, the 'government class' has protected themselves well; government worker pensions are exempt from tax under state law. Social Security is also exempt from state and local income taxes. As a result, a lot of people are actually exempt from this tax.

One might expect the City to use federal and state tax data (e.g. tax returns and W-2 / 1099 forms) to identify people who might owe this tax. But nooooo...

Apparently, the City presumes that everyone owes the tax until they prove they don't owe the tax. My friend got a form letter hitting him up for $50 (including a $15 penalty for not paying the tax by April 15). He says he can get out of paying the tax (and the penalty) with proof his taxable income was below poverty level, which he can do with either a tax return or a specific federal form. His income is considerably above poverty level, but it's all Social Security so it is exempt from this tax.

I've never heard of presuming someone owes a tax unless they prove they don't owe it. What's your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 02:08 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Portland Arts Tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-15-2014, 02:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

??? A local income tax is immune from legal challenge in Oregon? That's a neat trick!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:22 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
I think they would have to do it that way.

They do not KNOW a person's income......until the person tells them.

Looks like the law was voted in.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:25 AM

45,421 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Other states have this as well. PA used to have (don't know if it still does) a personal property tax based on your job.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:26 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I know a guy in Portland who is 62 and lives on Social Security.

A couple years ago, Portland adopted an "arts tax" primarily to maintain funding for school arts programs which was threatened by a school budget squeeze. This tax is a flat $35 on every adult above the federal poverty line. The City wants to tax everyone who lives in Portland at any time during the year, and is using DMV addresses plus registered voters as their targets.

As one might expect, the 'government class' has protected themselves well; government worker pensions are exempt from tax under state law. Social Security is also exempt from state and local income taxes. As a result, a lot of people are actually exempt from this tax.

One might expect the City to use federal and state tax data (e.g. tax returns and W-2 / 1099 forms) to identify people who might owe this tax. But nooooo...

Apparently, the City presumes that everyone owes the tax until they prove they don't owe the tax. My friend got a form letter hitting him up for $50 (including a $15 penalty for not paying the tax by April 15). He says he can get out of paying the tax (and the penalty) with proof his taxable income was below poverty level, which he can do with either a tax return or a specific federal form. His income is considerably above poverty level, but it's all Social Security so it is exempt from this tax.

I've never heard of presuming someone owes a tax unless they prove they don't owe it. What's your opinion?
1. That's the stupidest excuse for a tax I have ever heard of. Of all the things schools could avoid wasting money on, art is near the top of the list.

2. Exempting government workers is criminal.

3. The greed of government, especially in liberal areas, is disgusting.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:46 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
1. That's the stupidest excuse for a tax I have ever heard of. Of all the things schools could avoid wasting money on, art is near the top of the list.

2. Exempting government workers is criminal.

3. The greed of government, especially in liberal areas, is disgusting.
They voted for this....

Go figure.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
They send out the notice, you pay the tax or go to city hall with proof that the tax is not applicable. Why should that be considered such a big problem.

FWIW - I would be a lot happier if my school taxes paid for History, Geography, English, Math and Art instead of being wasted on "Team Sports". I would consider the $35 well spent.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
They send out the notice, you pay the tax or go to city hall with proof that the tax is not applicable. Why should that be considered such a big problem.

FWIW - I would be a lot happier if my school taxes paid for History, Geography, English, Math and Art instead of being wasted on "Team Sports". I would consider the $35 well spent.

Not sure. Why is voter ID considered racism?

Old 07-15-2014, 07:43 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's important to understand the power of the state worker. Those who receive their paychecks off other peoples taxes can dictate, as in this case school teachers, how many is spent. School teachers have the best pensions, tenure and excellent salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies