Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times

Advertisements

15 years old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:22 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,141,544 times
My personal opinion(s):
  • Driving Age:
  • Age 15: (learner's permit -- can drive only with legal guardian(s) or passengers of non-parental familial status, ages 18 and above); if violated due to emergency situation, judge on a case-by-case basis;
  • Age 16: (restricted individual privileges -- curfew imposed in absence of legal guardian or relative age 18 and above); if violated due to emergency situation, judge on a case-by-case basis;
  • Can transport a number of passengers equal to the manufacturer-recommended seating capacity of the vehicle being driven;
  • Age 18: (default full privileges);
  • Other #1: Minors ages 12 and above may (with consent of legal guardian) operate farming-related vehicles/equipment on private property only;
  • Other #2: Minors of any age may (with [both consent and supervision] of legal guardian) operate recreational vehicles on private property or approved public property so long as said vehicle does not exceed 20mph (private property) or where such operation fails to comply with applicable [public] law.

• Alcohol Age:
  • 18. If you can operate a vehicle, own a firearm, poison yourself with tobacco, and die for your country, you can have a drink as well.

• Sexual Contact Age:
  • Children ages 14 and under should never go to a juvenile detention center for sexual activity. Families ought to be better suited to deal with the occurrence of such things at those ages, or, at most mandate some form of legitimate counseling in the absence of removal the minor's court-ordered removal from their respective household;
  • For minors ages 15 and over, or at least in the 9th grade, the legal ability to consent should apply to partners up to and including those who are no more than 18 years of age;
  • 16 and older should be able to consent to sexual contact with anybody, though they should not be permitted to appear in any media formats;
  • 18 and up would be as it is currently -- full adult privileges.

• Tobacco Age:
  • 18. You're legally responsible for yourself and, it's your choice.

My apologies if I've either left out specific conditions or offended anyone. As I said, this is just my opinion.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
[*]16 and older should be able to consent to sexual contact with anybody, though they should not be permitted to appear in any media formats;
You would consider a 16 year old girl having de facto consensual sex with a 50 year old man to be acceptable?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
You would consider a 16 year old girl having de facto consensual sex with a 50 year old man to be acceptable?
If she's doing it then it's acceptable to her. Anyone having sex of their free will isn't something I need to worry about.

Obviously if it was MY 16 year old daughter I'd have something to say about it, but I have a lot to say about my own kids that doesn't apply to other people.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Anyone having sex of their free will isn't something I need to worry about.
As long as he or she is above the age of consent, right?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatman View Post
Yeah, I know 14 is the age of consent in Italy (and France, Germany and Austria as well). Of course, Italy just had their prime minister get kicked out of office for statutory rape, so maybe they'll change their age of consent as a result. Until May 1, 2008, the age of consent was 14 in Canada as well.
The age of MEDICAL consent is still 14 in Quebec.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
As long as he or she is above the age of consent, right?
Well you can look at it that way then then turn everyone outside the age we pick into a criminal, but it's hard to pin down human sexuality. We sure do like to try and obsess about it though, and it muddies the water when we try to add someone's MENTAL readiness into the mix. Some people are never ready for anything, kwim?

I'd like to see things discouraged, but setting and age of consent comes with the idea that everything else must be punished. I'm don't necessarily agree. It HAS to be case by case, with things like authorities, guardians, teachers, etc. held to a higher standard based on their power. Everyone else someone want's to hookup with is pretty much not my concern.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The age of MEDICAL consent is still 14 in Quebec.
ok, this one peaked my curiosity..

Whats the difference?

Old 01-27-2014, 03:05 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well you can look at it that way then then turn everyone outside the age we pick into a criminal, but it's hard to pin down human sexuality. We sure do like to try and obsess about it though, and it muddies the water when we try to add someone's MENTAL readiness into the mix. Some people are never ready for anything, kwim?

I'd like to see things discouraged, but setting and age of consent comes with the idea that everything else must be punished. I'm don't necessarily agree. It HAS to be case by case, with things like authorities, guardians, teachers, etc. held to a higher standard based on their power. Everyone else someone want's to hookup with is pretty much not my concern.
How does that work exactly. Anyone outside the child's age of consent is not a criminal...unless he violates that age ban. That is an important distinction.

Secondly, it's not all that hard to pin down human sexuality. Societies have been doing so for eons.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatman View Post
What do you think the age of consent should be?
There should be a tiered system. Exact numbers I can't say.

Over age 21, completely.

I don't want to see a 18 or 19 year old go to jail for having sex with a 16 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies