Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,878 times

Advertisements

This is a simple review, the main intention is to prove to you, the reader, that a potential legalization of Marijuana at the federal level would be a disaster and a terrible idea.

Let's begin with a fair analysis. Marijuana has been known for years as a "gateway drug" but despite if this age old common knowledge, in support of the product, we all know that it has never killed or hurt anyone, especially in comparison with alcohol abuse. Also, as a quick disclosure before any starts off in a typical cubicle rant, there is nothing wrong with Marijuana itself as a medication or as a means for government taxation.

But the main fact and focus of this discussion is that if marijuana was legalized everywhere then many users will attribute to the "abuse of the system".

For example, assuming marijuana was legal everywhere, the unemployment rate would certainly climb to the highest numbers ever seen. Let's be real folks, many corporations would suffer from the workforce being "high all the time" and likely abusing the many of the corporate provided privileges, such as healthcare insurance, paid time off, sick time, breaks, lunch, etc.

Marijuana legalization will definitely affect US productivity and it will hurt corporations.

Sure it feels good to get high, it helps you get rid of stress and pain. But can we live with the real damage to our country?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:48 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
It shouldn't be legalized because we don't need another legal intoxicant thrown into the mix.

Not to mention the stench.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Marijuana as a gateway drug was more hype than reality... alcohol could be construed as a gateway drug... it isn't banned either... bad behavior than anything else is more of a gateway drug than any physical substance...

Old 01-30-2014, 08:51 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
For example, assuming marijuana was legal everywhere, the unemployment rate would certainly climb to the highest numbers ever seen. Let's be real folks, many corporations would suffer from the workforce being "high all the time" and likely abusing the many of the corporate provided privileges, such as healthcare insurance, paid time off, sick time, breaks, lunch, etc.

Marijuana legalization will definitely affect US productivity and it will hurt corporations.

Sure it feels good to get high, it helps you get rid of stress and pain. But can we live with the real damage to our country?
Sure, and your proof of this is what exactly?

It's frightfully easy to get a medical card, and a number of places have had that for about a decade with no ill effect. Even basic evidence of a decade of history is easy enough evidence to pretty much disreguard unsourced opinion with no supporting evidence or data...just a "Let's be honest folks."

Old 01-30-2014, 08:55 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
This is a simple review, the main intention is to prove to you, the reader, that a potential legalization of Marijuana at the federal level would be a disaster and a terrible idea.

Let's begin with a fair analysis. Marijuana has been known for years as a "gateway drug" but despite if this age old common knowledge, in support of the product, we all know that it has never killed or hurt anyone, especially in comparison with alcohol abuse. Also, as a quick disclosure before any starts off in a typical cubicle rant, there is nothing wrong with Marijuana itself as a medication or as a means for government taxation.

But the main fact and focus of this discussion is that if marijuana was legalized everywhere then many users will attribute to the "abuse of the system".

Legalization of marijuana at the Federal level would be a disaster? How so? By giving the individual states the power to deal with marijuana as they see fit? I don't see that as a bad thing.

Quote:
Do you truly believe that everyone would start using marijuana just because it's legal? Get serious. The availability of marijuana at this point is the highest it's ever been, and so is usage. The only change that might come about is that more people may admit to using marijuana than currently do. Marijuana use doesn't make you unproductive, it doesn't magically turn you into a lazy bum, and it doesn't create a dependency on harder drugs. Those are all myths which have been debunked multiple times.

What's more harmful to our country, use of marijuana by the same demographic who is allowed to drink as much as they want or the $billions$ that we spend in detaining, prosecuting, and incarcerating people who are in possession of a plant and the devastation of core family units that goes along with that practice?

If you're going to argue against marijuana legalization, at least come up with some logical arguments. Oh, that's right, there aren't any logical arguments... merely propaganda and rumor mongering from the people who believe that they know what's best for everyone.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
".

I'm not following your logic. Tons of people use marijuana. People of all ages, across all professions, socioeconomic groups, etc. It is already widely used and most people don't go to work high. I would think that alcohol would be a greater contributor to an increase in sick days. It's hard to go into work when you are hungover from one too many nightcaps. Marijuana on the other hand, does not lead to a hangover. I have no idea how the legalization of marijuana would lead to all of these problems that you say that they would in your post. Can you explain further? Thanks.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Baloney, marijuana is not a gateway drug, that is a lie. Alcohol now, I have known and know many people who say they started drinking or smoking cigarettes when they were young teens. I have also known people in the workforce who drink and try to hide it from fellow workers. Alcohol also causes more death from auto accidents. The war on marijuana is a waste of tax payer money.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm not following your logic. Tons of people use marijuana. People of all ages, across all professions, socioeconomic groups, etc. It is already widely used and most people don't go to work high. I would think that alcohol would be a greater contributor to an increase in sick days. It's hard to go into work when you are hungover from one too many nightcaps. Marijuana on the other hand, does not lead to a hangover. I have no idea how the legalization of marijuana would lead to all of these problems that you say that they would in your post. Can you explain further? Thanks.
I own my own garden service and when I have tried to employ anyone, it is often alcohol that causes them to not show up for work, but marijuana may cause them to become more creative or talkative, but does not stop them from working. Alcohol is a much bigger problem then pot.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:

How so? I mean, the war on drugs has been such an overwhelming success.

I call bulls**** on this one, and that "gateway drug" theory has been debunked many times.

People abuse alcohol and legal prescription pain pills every day. Those substances are a lot more toxic, highly addictive, and can and do cause overdose and death. But I guess, because they're legal, that is OK.

There are already those in the work force who are high all of the time (which I personally find that as being irresponsible). Then again there are those who use it, and don't partake before or during work hours. I happen to be the latter, because I don't believe in mixing business with pleasure. Let's not forget again those who are hopped up on legal prescription meds, who are working, as well as driving while on them.

History has shown that prohibition is a failure, creates a black market, and criminalizes Americans who simply want a safer option to unwind after a long days work. The war on drugs has harmed more innocent people than the drugs themselves. It only benefits the black market, as well as the government who plays both sides of the coin.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Everything in the OP is personal opinion and assumption. I don't even know where it comes from.

I have never called out of work due to marijuana. I have called out of work for feeling sick, bloated and tired from drinking the night before. I would also never think of trying to accomplish anything drunk, but I can get much done while high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies