Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 07:44 AM

804 posts, read 618,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Just look at instagram, a company recently bought for about a billion dollars. It only has about a dozen employees. There won't be mass employment in tech like the old blue collar factory jobs.
Yup. High tech is not labor intensive, these manufacturing jobs that left for China are not being replaced, they created a vacuum that lowered the wage floor for many others.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 AM

Not everybody can get a degree and telling people that they should just get college education is not helping anything. If I were you I would think more as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Uh, um, I was one of those people who got an education while working for General Dynamics making circuit boards. I worked there at the end of the dot-com bubble and many of those jobs were lost but most of them simply got replaced by engineering jobs and other highly technical careers.

The people working those mfg. jobs got degrees and went on to work while those that didn't better themselves are still waiting for that one good job to come back. It's not coming back. Mediocrity didn't pay off and waiting around is t going to pay off either.

Maybe you ought to think more and talk less...

Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I keep seeing the argument that minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage. So I researched it some. I've come to the decision that they are in fact wrong. In fact it was meant to be more then poverty wages....at a time when only one person was working in a family!
If that is the case then why did government set a static min wage ?
Why has Congress not increased it each and every year ?

And don't even start with "…Republicans…."

If a "living wage" is so important why wasn't it upped in 2009/2010 when the Dems held power ?

Looks to me like subsidized health insurance was more important.
Also looks to me like legalizing 30 million undocumented Democrats is more important.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Uh, um, I was one of those people who got an education while working for General Dynamics making circuit boards. I worked there at the end of the dot-com bubble and many of those jobs were lost but most of them simply got replaced by engineering jobs and other highly technical careers.

The people working those mfg. jobs got degrees and went on to work while those that didn't better themselves are still waiting for that one good job to come back. It's not coming back. Mediocrity didn't pay off and waiting around is t going to pay off either.

Maybe you ought to think more and talk less...
, and congrats, you proactively transitioned properly to the 21st century, while risotto11 wishes to stay in the 19th century.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:50 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, but most of them can learn skills that will land them jobs and those who don't want to or can't, the first being the most common reason will have to learn to live on what they can make, which isn't going to be a livable wage, we all know that, but in many of those situation there are 2 members or more of the family employed, there isn't just one bread winner.
What jobs do you know how many people lost jobs working manufacturing? Do you think jobs are just gonna pop up for all of them?

Old 02-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
, and congrats, you proactively transitioned properly to the 21st century, while risotto11 wishes to stay in the 19th century.

"Proactively"? You sound like somebody who took a semester in local community college, what's the difference between "transitioned" and "proactively transitioned"? Lol

No, I am in XXI century and simply observe changes in American economy and jom market, namely the outflux of well paying blue-collar jobs in manufacturing. I believe that you're still stuck in XIX century believing that blue collar workers should be poor. What's next? Child labor?

Last edited by risotto11; 02-02-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 04:03 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
"Proactively"? You sound like somebody who took a semester in local community college.

No, I am in XXI century and simply observe changes in American economy and jom market, namely the outflux of well paying blue-collar jobs in manufacturing. I believe that you're still stuck in XIX century believing that blue collar workers should be poor. What's next? Child labor?
Thy shouldn't be poor, they should move into the 21st century or to a 2nd world country where mindless machine button pushing pays a wage that is considered middle income.

Of course that requires some effort on the part of the order to learn a new language and to get accustomed to a standard of living that's. It handed to them by got gathering schemes.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
What jobs do you know how many people lost jobs working manufacturing? Do you think jobs are just gonna pop up for all of them?
For a group of people who claims to have superior knowledge of all things evolution you guys are sorely lacking in things evolving.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Thy shouldn't be poor, they should move into the 21st century or to a 2nd world country where mindless machine button pushing pays a wage that is considered middle income.

Lol. You think that blue collar jobs are all about pushing buttons? Lol

Are you still in high schoo?

Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If that is the case then why did government set a static min wage ?
Why has Congress not increased it each and every year ?

And don't even start with "…Republicans…."

If a "living wage" is so important why wasn't it upped in 2009/2010 when the Dems held power ?

Looks to me like subsidized health insurance was more important.
Also looks to me like legalizing 30 million undocumented Democrats is more important.
Originally because it was a complex discussion, and new. They felt if it was too high it could be inflated down perhaps. And businesses in general prefer it to be inflated down until the common people complain enough to bump it up. The $10.10 figure might surprise them a bit, but if you look at inflation adjusted minimum wage its been low for a while.

I didn't start with Republicans. But I DO notice most of the debate against it comes from there. You'd think we were suggesting the public execution of puppies. The majority of their constituents (by a small margin I admit) want this though.

As for why not 2009/10? Maybe that whole midst of a massive recession thing. You remember that right?

And finally...to be honest im not seeing a lot of activity on the undocumented aliens thing. LOL. Well except on the Republican side. They sure are using it to rile up the base. But lets be honest-thats not going anywhere. Even though a lot of big business is all for it, to many actual individuals are against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies