Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 AM

804 posts, read 618,287 times

Advertisements

You're right, it was somebody else. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....

[...]

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And where did I ever post that it will ?
You must be confusing me with some other poster you challenged.

Have you ever worked FF ? It's full of teens and young adults that keep no secrets.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Your reasoning only shows how little you know and how limited, if any at all, is your business experience.
Most of the time the business will pay $20,000 a month for a smaller location that better suits their business needs. That's why there are more high profile stores on fifth ave than in entire state Louisiana.
You chose to have a very simplistic view of economics, bud. Read another book. Lol
again you wear blinders

the business NEEDS at a MINIMUM 180,000sf and would love ROOM TO EXPAND therefore we went with the bigger warehouse and cheaper rate

I have been around a long time son

Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Not everything can be automated, if it could it would be automated already
many things have been automated over the last 30 years especially....nearly the entire assembly line for Detroit cars is automated...even waite staff is becoming automated..the tablet is a wonderful thing

Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
too many just don't seem to understand how the economy works and why a min wage is not meant to be living wage and why, like so many other things, the wage should be set by the state, if at all. What it costs to live comfortable or even exist in AR for instance is very different than say, San Francisco or Atlanta for starters.
Well then let's hope that Congress looks at NYC or Boston or Los Angeles in determining the new min wage.
Bout time those poor people in the south start raking it in eh ?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Now try again and show me how raising the minimum wage is going to get people laid off. C'mon... Lol
uhm...did you miss the recession???

raising the min wage in 07/09 was certainly part of the liberal perfect storm of a recession

Old 02-03-2014, 10:45 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Excuse me, I'll take a shot at this.

What I do not understand is how any one, at this late date, could fail to understand that it is not possible to pay people more than the market value of their labor sustainably.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The federal minimum wage is an oxymoron. If you understood "federal" you would see how stupid it is to have the minimum wage set by the "federal" government.
It's not fair using multiple-syllable words like "federal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Not sure what this has to do with the topic. Why does every response of yours to someone else is a long winded rant that has nothing to do with anything being talked about?

Economics.

Seriously, if you don't understand, then you should do the honorable thing and recuse yourself from voting in any elections at any level of government, until such time as you do understand.In order to solve any problem, one must first understand the root causes of the problem. You don't understand, I get that, and don't fault you for it, rather I fault you for being obstinate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
You are actually the one defecting because you have yet to define inflation but continue to ask other people to define inflation. If you do not want to talk about it that is fine but do not come in asking questions without any purpose of talking about what is being discussed.
Those are Economic terms that any 1st or 2nd year student would know.

The point being I don't have to define them, since Economics has already defined them.

And for the record, I have relayed their definitions, and shown specific examples, right here on C-D. Use the search function.

Or get yourself a 2nd year Economics text book and start studying.

Topically...

Mircea

Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
many things have been automated over the last 30 years especially....nearly the entire assembly line for Detroit cars is automated...even waite staff is becoming automated..the tablet is a wonderful thing
Does the tablet bring you your food or correct an error that is made....or even cook that food for you? Tablets at restaurants are the reason why I don't go to chain restaurants. When I go out, I want to have a wait staff, not do it all myself....I can do that at home for less.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
uhm...did you miss the recession???

raising the min wage in 07/09 was certainly part of the liberal perfect storm of a recession
In the past 5 years Walmart has opened 455 new stores.
Walmart employment over those 5 years ? Why it went DOWN 1.2%

Open nearly 500 new stores and you have less people working for you now ?

Hey Walmart, It’s Hard to Make Sales When Store Shelves Are Empty | TIME.com

Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
No. its not only white collar jobs but any UNREPRESENTED job. But first of all, don't let people talk about their salaries, make sure they understand they are confidential. Second, your entire claim is bogus, because as I said when you give a raise to one employee it doesn't mean that you have to give it to everybody, does it? You don't have to start everybody on the same salary and don't have to pay everybody the same.

You still haven't showed me how raising the minimum wage is going to get people laid off. C'mon...

Stop pretending that you know anything about economics and leave the discussion to those who do.
Thanks.
oh please...have you ever worked...or worked in a blue-collar shop.

the guy getting hired knows what THE GOING RATE is...at least if he is an informed potential employe

they know everyones rate of wage within the shop..everyone from the FNG to the 20 yr veteran..to even the managers base salary

you think they DONT??? yes they know, they know so they will have the knowledge of WHAT TO MOVE UP TO, or transfer over to

you show your ignorance of the real world...take your eyes out of the book you are reading, and look at the real world

Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
That's it. It's not rocket science and minimum wage earners are just 5% of all work force.
actually LESS than 3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies