Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,282,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
LGBTs have just as much right to marry a person of the opposite gender as anyone in America.

An inconvenient truth that homosexuals don't want to acknowledge and have wrangled in the mental health professionals to side with them ( it was coercion by the way. Google NARTH) They may not have chosen their attraction but they did choose how they would respond to or deal with it. Many with same gender attraction go on to minimize the effect of SGA in their lives and live happy and fulfilled lives as a single or married to the opposite gender. It can be done.
So, you think gays and lesbians should just "settle?" That they shouldn't be able to share in the same right to marry the person of their choice that you and I do?

You have no problem with a segment of our population either having to live a lie (by marrying someone they aren't attracted to) or to spend their lives alone?

Well, aren't you just a kind and compassionate person!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,282,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
How exactly is homosexual marriage more likely to lead to incest or polygamy than heterosexual marriage? This argument makes absolutely no sense.
[sarcasm on]

Don't you know anything? It also leads to bestiality and pedophilia.

[sarcasm off]

Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,494,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I'm not against same-sex marriage, and I'm not homophobic at all, but why is this thing everywhere I look now? Can't they just take care of business like normal marriages should on their own time and place?
Maybe because people won't let them???

Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,119,827 times
Quote:
And the fact that two homosexuals are raising kids is one of the biggest travesties against children of the last hundred years. What about childrens' rights to have a parent of both genders? Can you just imagine the conversation between a little girl and her two dadies when she says she loves them but she really wants a mom? What do they say? " Well, honey, you don't need one because you have two dads." Lie!!
I don't understand how you and others can use this argument and actually think it will fly!! Do you even KNOW any LGBT couples who are raising their children? Have you ever actually heard a child ask that question of their same-sex parents to say for 100% certainty that it is a lie?? I thought not.

Quote:
No matter what any judge, or mental health professional or pediatrician says, this is wrong and I believe that in every homosexual's heart of hearts, they know it's wrong, too. That is precisely why all the legal maneuvering, pressure, whining, pandering to the young straight liberals, threats and insults (" homophobe, bigot") and put-downs of anyone who opposes them. They want to rid themselves of guilt. They want everyone to condone their unnatural behavior. They want to have their cake and eat it, too.
I am a lesbian and I have a daughter. We (my partner and I) raised her to believe that ALL people were equal, no matter what. She is now happily married with kids of her own and she and her husband are teaching their children the same thing. I feel absolutely NO GUILT about how she was raised nor the way I live my life. I think it is pretty presumptuous on your part to assume I (or anyone else) would feel guilty. Maybe that's your own guilt talking.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:50 PM

11,763 posts, read 14,704,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
So should siblings be allowed to marry? Or should men be allowed to have several wives?
At least if men were allowed to have several wives we would be going back to the biblical definition of marriage that you people want so much.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,424,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
Well I'm glad you got a laugh, but to tell you the truth, many people with same gender attraction actually DO want to marry someone from the opposite gender because they know that's the right way to do things. They recognize the lie that society is telling them that they should "do what feels good" because they know it will lead down a path of unhappiness and ill health.

I love my girlfriends but I wouldn't think of marrying them. I have many relationships- emotionally intimate and fulfilling with women, but I don't want to marry them. Many people live with roommates but don't need to marry them. And the fact that two homosexuals are raising kids is one of the biggest travesties against children of the last hundred years. What about childrens' rights to have a parent of both genders? Can you just imagine the conversation between a little girl and her two dadies when she says she loves them but she really wants a mom? What do they say? " Well, honey, you don't need one because you have two dads." Lie!!

No matter what any judge, or mental health professional or pediatrician says, this is wrong and I believe that in every homosexual's heart of hearts, they know it's wrong, too. That is precisely why all the legal maneuvering, pressure, whining, pandering to the young straight liberals, threats and insults (" homophobe, bigot") and put-downs of anyone who opposes them. They want to rid themselves of guilt. They want everyone to condone their unnatural behavior. They want to have their cake and eat it, too.
So let's say that one day you and your boyfriend happen to fall down a rabbit hole. You end up in a place where (roughly) 90% of people are attracted to the same sex, and only they are allowed to marry. Are you and your boyfriend suddenly going to change to same sex relationships because you're living 'a lie'? Would you not try to get society to accept the fact that you and your boyfriend want to marry and have the same benefits as everyone else? Would you consider your love for your boyfriend unnatural? No, because it would be as natural to you as breathing. Where do you get your information that all gays and lesbians are unhappy and in ill health?

What 'rights' to have a parent of both genders? I became a single father when my daughters were 6 and 3. My girls didn't lay awake at night wishing they had a mom. They had a loving parent in me. What happens in your world where a young girl has a child, and then realizes she is a lesbian? Is she never supposed to live with a woman because you consider it a travesty? Is it somehow your concern that a child with two moms, or two dads will grow up gay or lesbian? Here's a hint, gays and lesbians have had straight parents for centuries, you might consider that. Studies show that children of gays and lesbians grow up just as healthy as those in a house with a mother and father. Just because you don't like it doesn't give you carte blanche to be judgmental.

Do you suffer guilt because you love your boyfriend/husband? You're trying to apply your understanding to people you wouldn't understand.............in another hundred years. Who are you to say 'they know it's wrong'?

I'm straight, and I'm not 'pandering, maneuvering, or a liberal' and I'm not 'putting you down', your bigotry is doing that.

Marriage is a legal contract between two parties, nothing more nothing less. It's not a guarantee of love, it's not a guarantee of devotion, it's not a guarantee of sex, it's not a guarantee of children, in fact, it's not a guarantee of anything, it's a contract with the stipulation that all possessions garnered while the contract is in effect will be shared, and divided if one or both parties decide to terminate the contract. That is ALL marriage is. There is absolutely no legitimate reason to deny a party the ability to enter into a contract based on their sex, it's discrimination.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,230 times
I was never against gays themselves and have had gays relatives and friends, but now this militant "change 10000 years of marriage as being male - female thing has and call everyone who objects a "hater" and hijack the civil rights movement is really making turn against gays in general and see them as the enemy. It is having the effect of making me less tolerant, the opposite of what they think they are achieving.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 PM

287 posts, read 770,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
I don't understand how you and others can use this argument and actually think it will fly!! Do you even KNOW any LGBT couples who are raising their children? Have you ever actually heard a child ask that question of their same-sex parents to say for 100% certainty that it is a lie?? I thought not.

I am a lesbian and I have a daughter. We (my partner and I) raised her to believe that ALL people were equal, no matter what. She is now happily married with kids of her own and she and her husband are teaching their children the same thing. I feel absolutely NO GUILT about how she was raised nor the way I live my life. I think it is pretty presumptuous on your part to assume I (or anyone else) would feel guilty. Maybe that's your own guilt talking.

I don't have a continuous movie of your life nor an inside track to your head. So there's no way for me to know if you're being honest or not. But it would be hard for me to believe that any homosexual who ever lived and had an intimate relationship with the same gender didn't question if what they were doing was right ( moral, natural, etc) or not at some point.

While your daughter sounds like a fine individual, she still didn't have access to a dad in her home. At least it sounds like she didn't from what you've said. Girls and boys, too, who grow up without an interested, supportive father are much more prone to all kinds of emotional and behavioral issues. Look up the studies. I'm not making this up off the top of my head. When this happens due to death or divorce because of abuse or whatever, those are acceptions and not the ideal situation for a child. But often times they can't be helped. But when a same sex couple does artificial insemination or uses a surrogate, they are quite intentionally denying the child at least one or more of their natural parents. That is completely unfair to that child. When a same sex couple adopts, again they are denying that child a full time father or mother. Sadly there are fewer and fewer of these ideal families anymore- father/mother/children. And while we can't see the immediate effect, it WILL affect future generations and not in a good way. This whole same sex marriage with kids thing is a social experiment. Yes, I have known personally some lesbian women trying to raise children. Disaster! Those children suffered. Yes I know that at some point it will occur to a child that they are missing a parent. And it WILL affect them negatively. I'm 100% sure of this.

I have no guilt about speaking the truth. I know every personal situation varies. But the basics of human emotional development are pretty much the same for all.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,230 times
So what's with the wife of the New mayor of NYC Bill Bill DeBlasio, and his wife "USED to be a lesbian". I thought we just were indoctrinated that homosexuality was so in-born and inherent that it couldn't be changed. So, what gives, the LGBT community can't have their cake and eat it too., either she changed or she really wasn't one to begin with or she is pretending now so she can be the First Lady of NYC. Any way you slice it, it is sick and unnatural, or just plain opportunism.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:32 PM

287 posts, read 770,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
So let's say that one day you and your boyfriend happen to fall down a rabbit hole. You end up in a place where (roughly) 90% of people are attracted to the same sex, and only they are allowed to marry. Are you and your boyfriend suddenly going to change to same sex relationships because you're living 'a lie'? Would you not try to get society to accept the fact that you and your boyfriend want to marry and have the same benefits as everyone else? Would you consider your love for your boyfriend unnatural? No, because it would be as natural to you as breathing. Where do you get your information that all gays and lesbians are unhappy and in ill health?

What 'rights' to have a parent of both genders? I became a single father when my daughters were 6 and 3. My girls didn't lay awake at night wishing they had a mom. They had a loving parent in me. What happens in your world where a young girl has a child, and then realizes she is a lesbian? Is she never supposed to live with a woman because you consider it a travesty? Is it somehow your concern that a child with two moms, or two dads will grow up gay or lesbian? Here's a hint, gays and lesbians have had straight parents for centuries, you might consider that. Studies show that children of gays and lesbians grow up just as healthy as those in a house with a mother and father. Just because you don't like it doesn't give you carte blanche to be judgmental.

Do you suffer guilt because you love your boyfriend/husband? You're trying to apply your understanding to people you wouldn't understand.............in another hundred years. Who are you to say 'they know it's wrong'?

I'm straight, and I'm not 'pandering, maneuvering, or a liberal' and I'm not 'putting you down', your bigotry is doing that.

Marriage is a legal contract between two parties, nothing more nothing less. It's not a guarantee of love, it's not a guarantee of devotion, it's not a guarantee of sex, it's not a guarantee of children, in fact, it's not a guarantee of anything, it's a contract with the stipulation that all possessions garnered while the contract is in effect will be shared, and divided if one or both parties decide to terminate the contract. That is ALL marriage is. There is absolutely no legitimate reason to deny a party the ability to enter into a contract based on their sex, it's discrimination.

So much of twisted logic in this that I hardly know where to start. And frankly I don't have much interest in even involving myself in discussion that runs amuk with assumptions and nonsense. But one point...I have studied this topic, read and researched and come to my own conclusions and THEN found that studies have backed up what I had a hunch was true.

For one thing, I'm not concerned about the sexual orientation of any child growing up in a gay household. I am concerned though about the negative example being set for the child, and for the subtle but still present cynical attitudes being taught to the child. While on the surface things may seem to be going swimmingly for the child, years down the road, problems and destructive forces will come to a head for many many of these children. Guaranteed. And that in turn will have a negative effect on society. Lots of screwed up adults to look forward to. On top of all the already screwed up adults who grew up with abusive parents, divorced parents, negligent parents, or with gross excesses or abject poverty. *Shaking head at the blindness of selfish people who have no concern for anyone but themselves and satisfying their lusts.* Sad business for these kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies