Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,745,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I'm not against same-sex marriage, and I'm not homophobic at all, but why is this thing everywhere I look now? Can't they just take care of business like normal marriages should on their own time and place?
Why has opposite sex marriage been shoved down our throats since I can remember?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:05 AM

3,673 posts, read 6,597,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One thing that's missing in the same-sex marriage movement is interviews with the Gay people who stand opposed to it. Interesting, that you never hear from them, which leads the heterosexual population to believe there's 100% support for it within the Gay community. And, given the marriage rate in this country has fallen to the 50% level, that alone should tell you something!

In Hawaii, there was a Lesbian legislator who stood opposed to same sex marriage in Hawaii.

I'm Gay, wouldn't consider the idea of marriage even if I were straight, but if a select group of Gay people want that option, then let it be!
Seriously? So you're suggesting that there's a measurable opposition to same-sex marriages from the LGBT community? And you can't get 100% of any group to agree on anything, ever; so that's not exactly a reliable barometer of any sort.

And regarding the original post, we hear about this topic regularly because for the first time ever in our country there's real momentum to finally put this issue to rest. Until it's considered legal for two consenting adults to choose who they wish to marry in all fifty states, it needs to stay at the forefront of current events.

Last edited by NYC2RDU; 02-03-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 AM

6,321 posts, read 4,343,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Why has opposite sex marriage been shoved down our throats since I can remember?
Heh, no kidding. I really can't stand it when I'm watching a good movie or show - I'm on the edge of my seat, riveted by the suspense, waiting for the next bit of information to move the plot along ...

... and then there's a damn romance scene with lots of kissing and love-making and ultimately some high school romance drama.

I hate those scenes. They're like commercials in the middle of a good show, and rarely does the love-making have any real point other than to showcase sex for the tween-aged girls who might be watching.

So yeah ... why DOES the heterosexual population insist that I sit around watching straight couples kiss and feel each other up and sometimes showing even full-blown sex scenes? How many movies and shows (apart from sit coms) exist that do not have some romantic scenes in them? Between straight folks?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 AM

47 posts, read 91,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
I have no idea why homosexuals keep moving into conservative states, of course they will say that they are protecting their rights but why not be smart and move to a liberal state that accepts you all?, this is a simple resolution if you are a homosexual go to a state that supports it if you are not pro-gay move to a conservative state, if you do not want to move then too bad you are screwed.

I would also like to state that everyone who keeps stating "every man is created equal" <= this is referring to race, this was said when the majority of the people in this country were racist against another race <= not sexual orientation, and please stop the oh but we are protecting our rights like slaves, women, etc. these people would actually get killed, and they would suffer through hell, last time I checked there is no prison in the USA that contains homosexuals who have been arrested because of their sexual orientation, the USA is not killing homosexuals and beating them to death because of their sexual orientation!

Again this is simple if you want to be married (legally) go to a liberal state, if you live in a conservative state than move, if you are against homosexuals move to a conservative state, if you are straight but support same sex marriage move to a liberal state, if you do not want to move then too bad you are screwed!

This is as simple as it gets.

Before you know it people in the USA will be able to get married with 50 other people and it will be completely legal but than again this is Liberal America

It’s not that easy to just to up and leave. Im in Texas and as a woman, Im pretty much screwed here since this state hates women. I cant afford to leave this state, look for another job, etc.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,875,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I'm not against same-sex marriage, and I'm not homophobic at all, but why is this thing everywhere I look now? Can't they just take care of business like normal marriages should on their own time and place?
It's news. Stop reading the news if you don't like it.

Do you read the marriage announcements? No?

Tell us, do you think marriage announcements are 'shoving marriage down our throats'?

Is the Super Bowl 'shoved down our throats'?

By your logic, it is - it's everything, it's a massive media blitz. Yet your not complaining about it.

Sounds like you have a problem with same-sex marriage, which would also explain your need to start your thread by insisting that you don't before launching into the trite "It's being shoved down our throats!" claim so popular with those who dislike same-sex marriage.

However, perhaps you'd like to explain the difference in how - again, just for example - the news about same-sex marriage represents 'shoving something down our throats' and the endless marriage announcements that have alwaya appeared in newspapers, or the aforementioned Super Bowl, don't represent that.

The only difference I can see is that you dislike hearing about the former one and you don't dislike hearing about the latter two.

But feel free to offer an alternate explanation.

Well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
I have no idea why homosexuals keep moving into conservative states, of course they will say that they are protecting their rights but why not be smart and move to a liberal state that accepts you all?, this is a simple resolution if you are a homosexual go to a state that supports it if you are not pro-gay move to a conservative state, if you do not want to move then too bad you are screwed.
So, if Texas denies you a right, you wouldn't complain, you'd just up and move, right? I wonder, do you think the Lovings, who were married in Washington, DC, but lived in Virginia, should have had to relocate in order to have their interracial marriage recognized (and to stay out of jail)?

This is America. That should mean people don't have to move to another state in order to have their rights recognized.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,295,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
I could say the same about heterosexual marriage.
You could, but that would be an incorrect and irrelevant statement.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:33 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,609,678 times
It seems that the OP has failed to participate in the 'great debate' he started. Perhaps this should die like many attempts to chum the water with no goal or purpose in mind.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 PM

31,338 posts, read 22,325,313 times
Funny how they are running to what we are abandoning. Im fine with it even though I think it's interesting how marriage is losing out to non-marriage and the popularity of the Significant Other in the Hetero world.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,530,039 times
Heck -- I just married my German Shepherd. We're the same sex. I wouldn't have married him if he was a she. Took awhile to decide though...marriage is an institution, and I don't like living in instutions. But he convinced me that being on my health insurance plan would be cheaper than the vet bills, so I went for it. He's always slept on my bed anyway, so nothing has changed.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM

19,981 posts, read 30,375,060 times
why??

it fits the agenda of the liberal wonderland...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies