Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:43 PM

23,316 posts, read 29,181,824 times

Advertisements

One thing that's missing in the same-sex marriage movement is interviews with the Gay people who stand opposed to it. Interesting, that you never hear from them, which leads the heterosexual population to believe there's 100% support for it within the Gay community. And, given the marriage rate in this country has fallen to the 50% level, that alone should tell you something!

In Hawaii, there was a Lesbian legislator who stood opposed to same sex marriage in Hawaii.

I'm Gay, wouldn't consider the idea of marriage even if I were straight, but if a select group of Gay people want that option, then let it be!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 PM

371 posts, read 495,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post

Again this is simple if you want to be married (legally) go to a liberal state, if you live in a conservative state than move, if you are against homosexuals move to a conservative state, if you are straight but support same sex marriage move to a liberal state, if you do not want to move then too bad you are screwed!
Moving to another state for a lot of people is about as easy and plausible as moving to Sweden. It costs thousands of dollars that you generally have to front yourself, there's a good chance you're not going to have a job in the new place, and you may lose the friends, family, job, and support network you have with no guarantee of replacement.

Sometimes it is better to stay and fight than cut and run. Especially when we're probably only 10 years away from it being legal in the entire U.S.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:03 AM

414 posts, read 1,098,236 times
It seems to me that the very concept of having to go beg for permission to marry (gay or straight) is backwards and constitutionally questionable at best. Don't adults have the freedom to associate in the way they please? Why should consenting adults, gay or straight, have to ask the government for a license in order to associate how they want to?

The entire issue has been approached the wrong way. We shouldn't be busy writing more laws that say "these people now have the right to associate together just like these other people." That's sickening. Those are already our basic human rights. Present law on marriage is exactly the opposite intention of the American constitution. We're looking to our leaders to selectively grant rights they had no business taking away to begin with. There is absolutely no reason for consenting adults to have to ask permission to freely associate with one another in the way they desire.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:46 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,537,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I'm not against same-sex marriage, and I'm not homophobic at all, but why is this thing everywhere I look now? Can't they just take care of business like normal marriages should on their own time and place?
Well no, because they CAN'T MARRY.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:22 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,392,186 times
Quote:
the USA is not killing homosexuals and beating them to death because of their sexual orientation!
Highest Number Of Anti-Gay Murders Ever Reported In 2011: The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs
Hate-crime charges for boy in Oakland bus attack - SFGate
Gunman shoots 32-year-old Mark Carson dead in Greenwich Village bias attack: officials* - NY Daily News
Mesquite lesbian brutally beaten defending girlfriend

Old 02-03-2014, 04:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,336,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
Because right now we're not making good on the "All men are created equally" claim that we put on the storefront of this country.
This sums it up quite nicely!

As well as the "...the pursuit of happiness" which of course in and of itself offers no guarantees for happiness but rather the freedom to pursue it and make lives for ourselves which are comfortable with people we love, regardless of race, color, creed, or sexual orientation.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:39 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,289,709 times
Quote:
I'm not against same-sex marriage, and I'm not homophobic at all, but why is this thing everywhere I look now? Can't they just take care of business like normal marriages should on their own time and place?
That's the thing. They can't "take care of business like normal marriages" because it isn't legal in half the country. Once it's legal everywhere, I guarantee you will hear very little about it.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 AM

712 posts, read 2,149,483 times
Quote:
Because people are repressing-fighting it..

Would you rise up if slaves were being sold? lol

Old 02-03-2014, 08:18 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,337,798 times
Quote:
I have no idea why homosexuals keep moving into conservative states, of course they will say that they are protecting their rights but why not be smart and move to a liberal state that accepts you all?,
So what are you going to do when gay marriage eventually becomes a federally protected right? Sooner or later, it will given that the majority of Americans now support same-sex marriage. Will you have to move to Russia or Iran or some fundamentalist Islamic nation that accepts anti-gay sentiment? You know, some place that accepts you?

Heh, Russia and Iran. It's amazing how America becomes more and more like our enemies and former enemies with each passing year. We seem to adopt a lot of the same ideologies that our enemies espouse. Just like America stands with Iran and North Korea as one of only three nations that refused to sign the Arms Trade Treaty.

Quote:
this is a simple resolution if you are a homosexual go to a state that supports it if you are not pro-gay move to a conservative state, if you do not want to move then too bad you are screwed.
Yes, because it's always simple to uproot your life and move to another state - yanking your kids out of school, giving up your friends, quitting your job, leaving behind your support network - and HOPING that you can reconstruct it all again from nothing. And all of that because of petulant haters that just can't stand the idea of someone they don't like being treated equally.

Quote:
I would also like to state that everyone who keeps stating "every man is created equal" <= this is referring to race, this was said when the majority of the people in this country were racist against another race <= not sexual orientation,
Hmm, well ... what's interesting is how the boundary between pro-SSM and anti-SSM is almost identical to the same boundary between slave state and free state. Is that merely a coinicidence, do ya think? Also, if you look at the state votes to ratify Constitutional amendments, you'll notice (again) that most of the former slave states also voted against ratifying amendments that allowed women to vote and any amendment or bill that favored equal rights.

So let's not kid ourselves by saying the fight for SSM isn't pretty much identical to all the other fights for freedom and equality in this nation. It would be a pretty big "duh de duy" moment to think that you would admit that fighting for SSM is like fighting to end slavery because you know slavery is wrong. Granted, we had to send an army and beat it out of the South, but you finally figured it out. I doubt the Southerners during the Civil War were saying, "Yes, I know slavery is wrong and yes, we know we shouldn't be doing this - but we're going to do it anyway." Thus I doubt anti-SSM folks are saying, "I know we should grant marriage equality - but nope. I'm going to stick with being anti-SSM just because."

Quote:
and please stop the oh but we are protecting our rights like slaves, women, etc. these people would actually get killed, and they would suffer through hell, last time I checked there is no prison in the USA that contains homosexuals who have been arrested because of their sexual orientation, the USA is not killing homosexuals and beating them to death because of their sexual orientation!
Wow, nothing like sleeping your way through history class. For long time, sodomy was a crime in most states and people were arrested, beaten, and killed. However, homosexuals are such a small percentage of the overall population that often the injustices were carried out against one or two individuals - not entire groups as was the case during the Civil Rights movement. Police used to routinely raid gay bars and haul away people just for the crime of being gay. Yeah, go look it up. Once in NYC these raids actually caused a major riot - but you don't hear about it because, well, they're gays, I guess - right?

Quote:
Again this is simple if you want to be married (legally) go to a liberal state, if you live in a conservative state than move, if you are against homosexuals move to a conservative state, if you are straight but support same sex marriage move to a liberal state, if you do not want to move then too bad you are screwed!
Why thank you, Governor Wallace, for your advice on how to practice segregation. I wonder if some future president will have to call in the National Guard once again to stand watch over gay couples getting their marriage licenses in Alabama - or Texas. It will end up being one more dark stain on Southern history.

Quote:
Before you know it people in the USA will be able to get married with 50 other people and it will be completely legal but than again this is Liberal America
LOL! You just couldn't resist ending your post with the standard Slippery Slope fallacy. Okay, let's play the Slippery Slope game. My turn. If allowing gay marriage will eventually lead to being able to marry 50 other people ... then banning gay marriage will eventually lead to barring gays from entering any public building including schools, libraries, parks, and government buildings.

Okay, your turn again. How slippery will this slope get?

Old 02-03-2014, 08:55 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,396,355 times
I'm a pretty conservative guy. I'm an independent voter and believe in a balance of power. I collect guns and am an NRA life member.

I also believe that by blocking same sex marriage we send a message that not all men are created equal. Religious dogma has been the domineering power in U.S. politics.

However this is not 1987 nor is it 2004, it's 2014 and the power has shifted to include the GLBT community as a community that historically has been on the receiving end of bias and abuse by said religious organizations.

The religious sects that decry discrimination based on their belief system is the same as any other organization that was a controlling power in this country. The KKK was massive during the early part of the last century with a demonstration of their power and influence accumulating with the Klan's March On Washington in 1928 where an estimate of 40,000 Klans men and women draped in the hood and American flag marched.

As reprehensible as the KKK was and is, it was a time in our history where religious sects discriminated against other human beings, that time those human beings were blacks, Catholics, Jews, Gypsies, etc.

During the late seventies Jerry Falwell used a platform of religion to promote a power base consisting overwhelmingly of white, middle class Christian families that had a "" My way or the highway "" approach to life including controlling much of D.C. thus controlling much of the country.

In 2014 we see a continuing rapid decline in right wing Christian based power and a rise in what that organization calls deviant secular humanistic and atheist control of the country.

As the old guard fades their voices become louder in an attempt to compensate for their dwindling representation. A new guard of tolerant and accepting Christian faiths have and are quickly taking over as the majority representation of Christianity. They fully accept the GLBT community and their rights to not only exist but to be treated fairly and equally without discrimination.

The fight for civil rights of the GLBT community has been ongoing since the late sixties, what many see as a heavy handed approach to social and legal change is the power shift I mentioned earlier growing stronger to the tipping point.

My sister is lesbian. We grew up in a fire and brimstone fundamentalist Christian church. In our family tree we have great great aunts and uncles who were ranking members of the KKK. As time progressed our family distanced ourselves from that history. The reason why I tell you this is that I am not just writing this from a standpoint of being a news junky but I have also been directly affected by the very groups that I publicly denounce.

The GLBT community will have their civil rights and a decade from now we as a collective whole will be arguing about other things that are pressing matters of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies