Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times

Advertisements

Good for you. But the majority of black kids learn it from other black people.
Just like old racist white people supposedly taught their kids racism too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Are you black?
Are you familiar with black people?

The idea that you think black people sit around and teach their children about evil white people is laughable. My parents taught me no such thing, but I will say that it's pretty easy to see the destruction and disease that has been caused through the actions of past sadistic people. It's called History 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I love the buzzwords of the Cult of Victimology (CoV), and among those buzzwords, few are as funny to me as gentrification. It's funny to me because a word was essentially invented to make economic progress and value increase sound like bad things. And it is used by the CoV to protect their victim status.

Think about it...

If you don't improve the poor neighborhoods, you're oppressing people by abandoning them. If you do improve the poor neighborhood, you're oppressing people by gentrification. No matter what you do - except of course sprinkling around free government money as payment for all your oppression - you're oppressing people in poor neighborhoods. Nothing can change their oppressed state, and for your oppression, you must pay!

ChocLot is displaying this CoV mentality in almost every post. There's no winning with the CoV, there's just regularly scheduled extortion payments to ensure the CoV doesn't accuse you of being oppressor.

The original intention of an initiative does not always play out well when put into practice. While it's great that gentrification uplifts and improves neighborhoods, it's terrible that it is at the expense of those who have lived in these neighborhoods for generations.

The improvement of neighborhoods should never come at the expense of driving out residents and pushing the problem to another area of the city. Ultimately, gentrification is all about money, not improving the conditions of the downtrodden.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If you don't improve the poor neighborhoods, you're oppressing people by abandoning them. If you do improve the poor neighborhood, you're oppressing people by gentrification. No matter what you do - except of course sprinkling around free government money as payment for all your oppression - you're oppressing people in poor neighborhoods. Nothing can change their oppressed state, and for your oppression, you must pay!
Born a victim, live a victim, die a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
yeah we can't have those damn white crackers moving in next door.
They will take away from our ghetto culture.
Consider yourself ignored. I don't engage with those who resort to such juvenile and sophomoric debating tactics.

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'oppressed' is a highly coveted status among some. whether it has any basis in reality or not is completely irrelevant.
This is very serious politically.

Those who have been successful in obtaining oppressed status guard that CoV monicker with singular ferocity. Look no further than the average declining urban center. You propose anything that might actually, I don't know...improve anyone's life, and it will be shot full of holes before it ever leaves the ground, all in order to preserve and entrench the feeling of perpetual oppression.

That's why words like gentrification exist. It makes a positive trend sound oppressive, thus ensuring that no matter what happens, the oppressed are always oppressed, always in need of reparation, etc.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So if blacks want it, it's ok and a reason to preserve their ethinic enclave. If a white wants, it he's just being racist, right? I just want to make sure I understand this properly.
The part you don't seem to get is that when whites move in, it drives black people out. When blacks move to safer (whiter) neighborhoods, it's just to escape the violence of their past and live peacefully *among* whites. Big difference.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are driven out by increasing property taxes as the homes around them are razed or totally renovated bringing up property values.

It's not just the people moving in though.
The county jacks up the value of existing homes as well even though nothing has been done to them.
These people should NOT have their homes shoot up 10X or more in value because some yuppie razed and rebuilt down the block.

I'm not a fan of gentrification because the motive is purely financial.

In that case, they should not be permitted to enjoy the INCREASED VALUE when they finally do sell and move out. They should have to sell for the value BEFORE the area improvements. You can't have it both ways.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I need to start a new chain of restaurants called "Gentrifried Chicken." Maybe that will appease those who feel "oppressed" when white people move into their neighborhoods? Keep some of the culture alive while making the area better for all.
White people don't eat fried chicken? Do you really think the black population is keeping fried chicken joints prosperous?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
who here has defended all-white neighborhoods on principle?

yet you have posted nearly a quarter of all the posts on this thread vigorously defending the 'right' of blacks to keep out non-blacks.

and then blubber endlessly about those mean ol' hypocritical white people, who haven't even done what you're claiming.

very telling
Are you playing ignorant? Do you not see the difference in how whites/blacks operate when it comes to living amongst one another?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Bland? That's your opinion. Frankly I don't see anything vibrant with dilapidated homes, busted store fronts and no REAL diversity (all black =/= diverse anymore than all white does).

The problem is you offer no solution to cities struggling with "vibrant" neighborhoods. Maybe you expect people from the outside to just... what.... take care of things for the people who live in those neighborhoods for them? Throw money at the problem and hope the folks will decide to start taking care of their neighborhood?

Money talks, and increasingly, black people are helping steer gentrification.

Actually it happens all the time. In my city a once vibrant mall slowly turned for the worse. Maybe it was a chicken and egg phenomena, but as lower end clientele came in, the stores changed, crime, shoplifting and MURDER came along, and it eventually just went out of business. This was/is in an area adjacent to a country club community.

Now its being redeveloped into a "high end" outlet mall, providing jobs and opportunity for tons of minority workers who otherwise would have nothing but their "culturally vibrant" neighborhoods to sit around in all day. The challenge, of course, is getting people who once wrote off the area entirely to come back and contribute to its renaissance.
IMO, diversity is not just black people, but minorities in general.

Who are "people from the outside"? LOTS of the dilapidated housing in poor neighborhoods are the result of slumlords who don't maintain their properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies