Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 AM

5,737 posts, read 3,269,366 times

Advertisements

yep thats what happened. But instead of assimilating with the neighborhood, they turned it into a ghetto and had the balls to tell every white liberal that would listen "whitey left it this way".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
What happened to change that? Can you provide a history? It wouldn't happen to involve black people escaping the severely oppressive South would it? If so, do you really want to go there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,470,350 times
Quote:
Please, relax. I use the term because it is used in the article and throughout this thread. How about poor? Does that work better for you? Will you address the question or focus instead on a term I used?
It sucks being poor but if you are renter these are the risks. Rents can and do go up. Homeowners can sell and move to cheaper areas. One of the reasons why Blacks have few resources during retirements is because their homes don't appreciate much in value. Most blacks would love for their homes to be in demand. Heck I'm sure you can relate to that being a PG resident.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,219,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You will be priced out if you rent, not if you own. Maybe you should be working to I courage property ownership, you know, part of the American dream and all.
Never heard of property taxes? It happens:

Left with nothing | The Washington Post

Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They can sell their home. My Black co-worker's MIL owned a half share in a home in Alexandria that her husband left her. The house has been paid off and they recently sold it for about 900k. Another co-worker's father has owned a house in Arlington for 50 years. The house is a dump but the land alone is worth about a million. I think the county has a plan to freeze his taxes while he lives out his days. At some point his family will sell it and reap a windfall.

I'm not seeing a problem here. Are we to have specific designated zones for yuppies?
What you're not getting is that folks don't want to leave, whether by force or by selling. Why should they be forced out?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
yep thats what happened. But instead of assimilating with the neighborhood, they turned it into a ghetto and had the balls to tell every white liberal that would listen "whitey left it this way".
Did they really or was it a matter of whites leaving in droves and slumlords not maintaining their properties?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,852,783 times
Quote:
Never heard of property taxes? It happens:

Left with nothing | The Washington Post
Ever heard of selling and making hundreds of thousands of dollars?

I have heard of property taxes because I pay them every month. Hoping your home does not increase in price so your property taxes do not go up is very short sighted.

I'll turn down my next raise so I don't have to pay higher taxes, sounds like a winning strategy to me.

46,001 posts, read 35,286,244 times
I am actually happy this project died because the lot is a key lot that deserves a mixed use building rather than a suburban style grocery store and parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It sucks being poor but if you are renter these are the risks. Rents can and do go up. Homeowners can sell and move to cheaper areas. One of the reasons why Blacks have few resources during retirements is because their homes don't appreciate much in value. Most blacks would love for their homes to be in demand. Heck I'm sure you can relate to that being a PG resident.
Again, will you address what happens to these poor people? Are they magically not poor anymore? Magically not criminal-minded anymore? What happens to them?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Ever heard of selling and making hundreds of thousands of dollars?

I have heard of property taxes because I pay them every month.
What you don't get is that many black people have emotional ties to their communities. They aren't so willing to sell and move somewhere else. Many of us live close to our families and have a history that can't be bought by the highest seller. Contrary to what you might believe, finding an area that is accepting of black people is not as easy as you would think, so picking up and moving your life somewhere foreign can be a daunting task. Especially when those other places are likely to be other urban areas where this cycle will just repeat itself again.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,487,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Born a victim, live a victim, die a victim.

That is also a Crock! I have many black good decent hard working own their own business as my friends. They never felt they were born a victim they do not live like a victim, and they sure as hell will not die as a victim.

They live in beautiful areas, own their own business, and never blame the white guy, for a gosh damn thing. They are successful, and want to live where it Is vibrant, and a good place to raise their families.
They live in diverse areas, and some will only live with white's, why is that. They have shared with me why, why do you think they do. At some point past needs to be that, and people need to move on for the better. being bitter, never helped one bit.

I understand the many view points, but at some point people have got to want to help themselves.

I can hear it now, well her friends are rich, that has nothing to do with the way they were raised, they were taught right by their loving parents. Gained a education, and went into business for themselves. The only person that holds you back is you.

Before living where we now do, I lived in diverse areas, many before deciding we wanted to live by the beach. I lived with blacks, Mexicans, Asians., and everything in between. Funny thing, we all got along just fine, and the blacks had no problem at all living with whites. Infact we all use to have barbecues and party nites, where every family would make their favorite dishes. It is all how one perceives to live their lives. We got along great, so I disagree that blacks do not want to live where whites are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies