Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 AM

46,326 posts, read 27,162,639 times

Advertisements

I have 2 insurance plans, last year I paid zero copay on a certain medicine, January...it is all of a sudden $22.50....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
My premium with Aetna was $645.00 per month. They raised it to $708.00 FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS BECAUSE THEY COULD! I now have Obamacare and the premium is $159.07 per month. Better coverage also. Sorry for those that are getting stuck at this a time. Will take a while for this machine to smooth out. I thought you could appeal?
Here's the only way you can opt out:
Quote:
ObamaCare Mandate: Exemption and Tax Penalty
If you belong to any of the groups listed below you are exempt from ObamaCare's mandate to "obtain minimum essential coverage" (i.e. buy insurance):
• Unaffordable coverage options Exemption. People who would have to pay more than 8 percent of their household income for health insurance
• No filing requirement. People with incomes below the threshold required for filing taxes (in 2012, $9,750 for a single person and $27,100 for a married couple with two children)
• Hardship. The Health Insurance Marketplace, also known as the Affordable Insurance Exchange, has certified that you have suffered a hardship that makes you unable to obtain coverage. (please note that if your plan was canceled due to the Affordable Care Act in 2013 you qualify for a hardship exemption in 2014 and are not thus not required to obtain coverage).
• Short Coverage Gap Exemption. If go without coverage for less than three consecutive months during the year you will not be responsible for the fee for those months. Make sure to sign up for a plan that starts by April 1st, 2014 to avoid the per month fee in 2014. Open enrollment ends March 31st, but if you sign up after March 15th your coverage won't start until May 1st, 2014 and you may be responsible for the fee for going without health coverage in April.
• Religious conscience. People who qualify for religious exemptions. The Social Security Administration administers the process for recognizing these sects according to the criteria in the law.
• Health care sharing ministry. You are a member of a recognized health care sharing ministry
• Not lawfully present. Undocumented immigrants; You are not a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national or an alien lawfully present in the U.S.
• Incarceration. People who are incarcerated.
• Indian tribes. Members of a federally recognized Indian tribe.
The kicker is if you have a "life changing event" you will have to buy insurance BUT you can do it within a time frame (obviously you can't really change plans the minute you get a higher paying job.) A change in your life that can make you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period to enroll in health coverage. Examples of qualifying life events are moving to a new state, certain changes in your income, and changes in your family size (for example, if you marry, divorce, or have a baby). https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/...ng-life-event/

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I have 2 insurance plans, last year I paid zero copay on a certain medicine, January...it is all of a sudden $22.50....
That wasn't too uncommon under the old system though. My parent's co-pays have gone up $5 some years (I know this from being under their system until I turned 26.)

Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,840,324 times
I don't like being told I have to buy health insurance I don't need.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 AM

46,326 posts, read 27,162,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

That wasn't too uncommon under the old system though. My parent's co-pays have gone up $5 some years (I know this from being under their system until I turned 26.)
This certain medicine was $0 since 2009...August to be exact...

Old 02-06-2014, 10:55 AM

13,984 posts, read 5,644,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
My premium with Aetna was $645.00 per month. They raised it to $708.00 FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS BECAUSE THEY COULD! I now have Obamacare and the premium is $159.07 per month. Better coverage also. Sorry for those that are getting stuck at this a time. Will take a while for this machine to smooth out. I thought you could appeal?
When you rob Peter to pay Paul (quoted above), you can always count on Paul's support.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
So beyond ao the heresay and hoaxes, rumors and myths, Obamacare still has a number of critics. In spite of the fact that millions of people will now have access to healthcare coverage, meaning lives will be improved and saved, some people still claim to hate Obamacare.
Why do YOU hate Obamacare?
What are your reasons ?
Please tell me what is wrong with it.
Well for starters: our deductibles have gone over the top, even with Medi Care, our office visits have almost doubled and other costs went up this year. We expect some increase but not what we got. Our younger daughters insurance for her husband more than doubled, and our other daughters husband company stopped covering spouses period. Of course he ended up being laid off so it didn't make much difference either way. Is that a start for you or would you like me to give you other reasons?

Old 02-06-2014, 02:14 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,689,942 times
Quote:
So beyond ao the heresay and hoaxes, rumors and myths, Obamacare still has a number of critics. In spite of the fact that millions of people will now have access to healthcare coverage, meaning lives will be improved and saved, some people still claim to hate Obamacare.
What are your reasons ?
If that is all you think ObamaCare does, it could have been replaced with a simple law doing away with the use of preexisting conditions to deny a person health insurance.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:15 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,028,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You, sir, are completely full of crap.

Obamadoesn'tcare took a system that sort of work and broke it.
It worked for a vast majority of the people. Instead of finding a solution for the minority for whom it didn't work, they broke it for everyone.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:37 PM

30,480 posts, read 19,236,406 times
Quote:
What are your reasons ?
It's absurd. I know only of people that have been harmed by it including my daughter. It didn't address any real problems including excessive cost. Its truly an asinine law.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I approve of most aspects of Obamacare except for its dependence on the private sector insurance industry. All the private companies do is provide a high priced accounting service that can be more efficiently done by the government. Just compare the overhead for Medicare with private sector insurance providers.

I see Obamacare as a necessary step towards a Universal Health Care system owned and operated by the government at cost instead of being burdened by unnecessary profit.
If government is so efficient, why do they cotnract out medicare, and medicaide to the private sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies