Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:30 PM

27,176 posts, read 15,359,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee
This story outlines exactly why we didn't buy our health insurance on the Obamacare exchange. I could have purchased a less expensive health insurance plan on the exchange.

The Ocare exchange said our doctors were accepting the insurance they were offering. When I checked with our doctors, their office said they were not; that information on the website was not true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The information contained on insurer's websites is often outdated. The insurer is the source of information for the healthcare exchange, thus garbage in/out.

As you noted, it is always best to check with the MD/medical practice.

In my neck of the woods it is a long time common practice for MD/medical practices to verify insurance information before the appointment to avoid surprises on both ends.

In those practices where it's all walk in business, identification and insurance is verified before one is seated.

You should read this again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 04:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,978,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
You have to be joking...right? I mean just what does health insurance mean to people? I means access to hospitals, doctors and health care.....That example is like buying a car and it doesn't run and you ask the salesman whahappened and he says, "well I never promised it would run."
No, you're the one joking. "Insurance" is not "access". It is a financial service.

Our "health insurance" is now a joke - a monstrously stupid one.

Oh, and we told you BEFORE it was passed that this would happen. But did you listen? No, you just accused us of hating poor people. Well, the point is, this was painfully obvious then and and actually painful now.

So, the cure? Stop listening to liberal politicians when they tell you they can fix or take care of you. Why? They lie.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 PM

577 posts, read 436,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Let's dissect that statement...

"'Covered California' plans are private company plans."

What is "Covered California"? It's the state exchange. Why would someone use it? Because they're eligible for a subsidy. If you're not getting a subsidy, there's no reason to use the exchange.

"They are not government plans"

The government is dictating the terms of the coverage. They're paying for a portion of the premium. They regulate the bejeezus out of the insurance industry in general.

I think it's safe to say that "Covered California" plans are, practically speaking, "government plans." The government dictated the terms of the contract. The government is paying for a portion of the premium. The fact that the check you write each month for your small portion of the cost is made out to a business is largely irrelevant, in the overall scheme of things.

LOL.. you people have no clue what you are talking about..

First, yes, you buy the plans THROUGH the exchange if you qualify for a subsidy. You don't have to go on the exchange to buy the inurance, you can go directly to hte insurance company.

BUT. even those plans, ones not purchased on the exchanges, must meet government MINIMUM standars.

THEY ARE ALL THE SAME PLANS!!!! lol

The ONLY difference is that the governmnet pays a portion of the plan for those that purchased it through the exchange.

So, unless Doctors are going to go to ALL CASH ONLY from patients, they WILL NOT be "opting out" of plans offered on the exchange..

Think about it.. if we all had the money to pay what the doctors want to recieve without insurance, there wouldn't be a need for insurance..

I understand medicaid and medicare - doctors not taking that.. but PRIVATE COMPANY insurance plans purchased on the exchange or off (since they are the same) .. it's complete BS that doctors are suddenly NOT taking insurance..

If that's the case.. they won't have any patients

I suppose the car you drive is a "government car" because the government mandated the minimum standards on them...

Old 02-05-2014, 05:53 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,518,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
I think a lot of this is bullpoop.. "covered california" plans are PRIVATE COMPANY plans.. they are NOT government plans, etc.. like medicaid/medicare...

I think this is a bunch of phony BS dreamed up by right wing media and these stories aren't real.

I understand doctors not taking medicaid/medicare because of reduced payments.

But a private plan offered on the california or even federal exchange? That's just ridiculous.. cause ALL insurance is now Obamacare - government minmum standard - insurance
It looks like those fools at DHS fell for the right wing BS ---

"In a Tuesday letter to health insurers, CMS proposed a new set of rules to govern the plans to be offered through federal health exchanges for the 2015 benefit year. The proposed rules would require insurers to submit a list of providers offered on each of their plans, and CMS would review the list to make sure that the plans provide “reasonable access†to hospitals, mental health providers, oncologists and primary care services."

New Obamacare rules seek to improve access, but could raise premiums | WashingtonExaminer.com

I think that Obama/Ocare lovers are less rational than the policy makers. The policy makers are sometimes willing, usually as secretly and quietly as possible, to recognize flaws. The lovers go to any lengths to deny that anything is wrong.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,555,991 times
Quote:
LOL.. you people have no clue what you are talking about..

First, yes, you buy the plans THROUGH the exchange if you qualify for a subsidy. You don't have to go on the exchange to buy the inurance, you can go directly to hte insurance company.

BUT. even those plans, ones not purchased on the exchanges, must meet government MINIMUM standars.

THEY ARE ALL THE SAME PLANS!!!! lol

The ONLY difference is that the governmnet pays a portion of the plan for those that purchased it through the exchange.

So, unless Doctors are going to go to ALL CASH ONLY from patients, they WILL NOT be "opting out" of plans offered on the exchange..

Think about it.. if we all had the money to pay what the doctors want to recieve without insurance, there wouldn't be a need for insurance..

I understand medicaid and medicare - doctors not taking that.. but PRIVATE COMPANY insurance plans purchased on the exchange or off (since they are the same) .. it's complete BS that doctors are suddenly NOT taking insurance..

If that's the case.. they won't have any patients

I suppose the car you drive is a "government car" because the government mandated the minimum standards on them...
Obamacare plans pay lower amounts to doctors than current plans bought by employers for employees.

Remember, President D-Nozzle delayed the employer mandate.

Buy a clue.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:04 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,970,546 times
This fool may end up dying over her votes for Obama. Poor, stupid thing.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
This fool may end up dying over her votes for Obama. Poor, stupid thing.

LOL.. I surely would have died under McCain and Romney for sure.. since prior to the ACA I didn't have access to health insurance and thereby had a hard time getting my medications for my pre-existing condition.

I would die under any Republican who could give two hoot about anyone but their cronie capitalist buddies. .

Obama brought about a change in the healthcare system.. something I waited quite some time for.. meanwhile the last Republican I voted for didn't do anything about the problem but ignore it..

Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,970,546 times
Quote:
LOL.. I surely would have died under McCain and Romney for sure.. since prior to the ACA I didn't have access to health insurance and thereby had a hard time getting my medications for my pre-existing condition.

I would die under any Republican who could give two hoot about anyone but their cronie capitalist buddies. .

Obama brought about a change in the healthcare system.. something I waited quite some time for.. meanwhile the last Republican I voted for didn't do anything about the problem but ignore it..
Typical selfish liberal. You got yours and don't care about the consequences for anyone else, including the silly, deluded Obama voter in the OP.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Obamacare plans pay lower amounts to doctors than current plans bought by employers for employees.

Remember, President D-Nozzle delayed the employer mandate.

Buy a clue.

Those employer plans still have to meet minimum standards set by the U.S government. They also cost employers more.

I told a friend of mine she should just raise her employees pay and stop giving healthcare as a benefit. Then , they could pick their own plan on the exchange and get a better deal.

And, those plans are still brougth about by the same companies (in oru state Geisinger, Blue Cross, Aetna.. etc).. and therefore doctors belong to the network assicated with each company - not each individual plan...

Again.. if doctors stop taking insurance.. they'll stop having patients. I seriously doubt any non insured patient would be able to pay better than any of the insurance companies..

I know too well about healthcare.. Iv'e studied it and read the law (I have it on my Kindle). I've been following it for years....

Here's hoping we loose insurance all together and have a one payer system.. because that's what I'll take the ACA over no change any day.. as I said, the ACA pretty much saved my life.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Typical selfish liberal. You got yours and don't care about the consequences for anyone else, including the silly, deluded Obama voter in the OP.

Well.. lets see.

Consequence to some "others" for having Obamacare is that their premiums are a little more.

Consequence to people like me for NOT having Obamacare - pretty much death..

So um.. whose selfish now. To continue to deny people access to the care that saves their lives, you were happy with the statu quo... but you don't want to pay a little more for healthcare even though that means others who didn't have access before woudl still have access.

And, FYI , the exchanges and subsidies are set up so that if the cost of care falls above 20% of yoru income you'll get a sbusidy.. which means those that don't can certainly afford to pay it without the subsidy...

Yeah.. I value my life and lives of others over money any day.. if you want to call that selfish than I'll proudly wear the "selfish liberal" name you want to tack to me any day over the heartless conservative tag..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies