Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,674,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I remember a lady from Florida calling the Talkeetna Historical Society and asking how high the moose were when we drop them. Apparently she was under the impression that the moose are dropped from helicopters.
That's rich. "Hey! When you guys gonna drop the Moose"?

On an episode of WKRP in Cinncinati, they dropped a load of live turkeys on a crowd of people in the town square as a Thanksgiving Day promotion for their radio station.
They thought the turkeys could fly.

The reporter on the ground said they were "Hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement."

Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,863,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That's rich. "Hey! When you guys gonna drop the Moose"?

On an episode of WKRP in Cinncinati, they dropped a load of live turkeys on a crowd of people in the town square as a Thanksgiving Day promotion for their radio station.
They thought the turkeys could fly.

The reporter on the ground said they were "Hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement."
I remember that WKRP episode it was hilarious!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,473,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
"The festival went under scrutiny from PETA, and they began a campaign against it after a misinterpretation led them to believe that the festival involved moose being dropped out of helicopters. This took several heated letters and hours of phone conversations to clear up with PETA and make them recognize that moose droppings were being dropped from helicopters, rather than the actual animal."

Talkeetna, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ah, well that certain explains the Florida woman.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,236,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
'Merica Day? Is that the day when people dress up like a redneck wearing red white and blue while drinking Budweiser and shooting holes in a pick up truck that is sitting on cinder blocks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They do that in Colorado ?
Hunter S. Thompson probably did.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,953,863 times
Introduction
The holiday of Cinco De Mayo, The 5th Of May, commemorates the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862. It is primarily a regional holiday celebrated in the Mexican state capital city of Puebla and throughout the state of Puebla, with some limited recognition in other parts of Mexico, and especially in U.S. cities with a significant Mexican population. It is not, as many people think, Mexico's Independence Day, which is actually September 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Because it concerns Mexicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Nobody gets upset with Saint Patrick's Day being celebrated in the US... so why the problem with Cinco de Mayo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
So what's your point? You are the one who said St Pat was a legitimate holiday while Cinco is a made up holiday. Neither are holidays.
Actually, both are holidays in the people's own countries........ one is a war victory holiday, the other a religious holiday. At least the Catholic Church is very involved in America, where "The Battle of Puebla" not so much!

Leave it to Americans to celebrate another countries war victory......beer anyone!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,613,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Seems okay to have a cinco De Mayo but its not okay to celebrate America.
Which is obviously why the 4th of July is banned. Oh wait.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,953,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
St. Patrick's Day is totally about a historic political event of Ireland. It basically signifies a major figure and period in the development of their culture right down to the adoption of the shamrock as a cultural symbol(the shamrock was used to explain the holy trinity by St. Patrick supposedly)--religion and culture were linked strongly at that point in history. It wasn't a holiday celebrated by anyone who wasn't Irish until fairly recently in the last century, it was originally a religious feast day, but it was something recognized as a rememberance of Irish pride that was brought up during years of struggling against the English. Now people celebrate St. Patricks Day in even Japan who have nothing to do with Catholicism or the Irish.

Why do you care so damn much about Cinco De Mayo? No one is forcing you to celebrate it.
Do you think Mexico will one day celebrate 4th of July? I don't think anyone feels forced to celebrate. More like confused as to why Americans feel the need to celebrate another countries victory war day

Are we hard up for days to drink beer without guilt?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,480,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do you think Mexico will one day celebrate 4th of July? I don't think anyone feels forced to celebrate. More like confused as to why Americans feel the need to celebrate another countries victory war day

I'm confused about why we have an official holiday celebrating an Italian who sailed for Spain and discovered Cuba.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:22 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,674,761 times
Quote:

LOL, I'll bet those American expats living down there off their Social Security have a nice old time on the 4th.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:18 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,540,695 times
Quote:

The Origins of the Cinco de Mayo Celebrations in the US — Pilsen Portal

The celebration of Cinco De Mayo in the US started in the 1860s in California among people of Mexican descent. It evolved into a celebration of the Mexican culture in the Southwest, so it's basically a Mexican-American holiday in the way it's became more important north of the border. Part of it was that Cinco De Mayo was an easier holiday for Mexicans in the US to get away with celebrating than something like Mexican Independence Day.

There's historians who claim that the victory over the French at Puebla tied up Napoleon III in Mexico leaving him unable to support the Confederates during the early years of the Civil War and had the French not lost the battle there would've possibly been a renewed European empire on the southern border of the US. The Battle of Puebla wasn't the end of the war but it was a patriotic victory for those fighting the French--and after years of guerrilla warfare and the end of Maximillian's puppet regime it would be the last time a European nation would ever invade the Americas. Hey, I'll drink to that...

Anyhow, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be so offended by the idea of Cinco De Mayo, though certain folks on here seem to get their Depends in a bunch on here on anything involving Mexicans. People celebrate all kind of interesting historical events as holidays--look at the tradition of Juneteenth. No one is forcing anyone to observe any of these non-official holidays so go cry me a fricking river because I could care less about people who aren't Catholic or Irish celebrating St. Patrick's Day or non-Chinese going to Chinese New Year events. Frankly, I just like to have a good time with good folks.

And y'all are free to celebrate 'Murica Day or what ever the hell else you want...

Last edited by Deezus; 02-05-2014 at 11:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies