Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,261,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaraka66 View Post
So which is the better country to live in , the USA which is very me me me or Australia which is us. Going through the differences is interesting, the USA is a Republic no it is not a Democracy, Australia is a Constitutional Monarchy, like eight ? out of the ten top countries. Your Governance is interesting, a political party with the most members in the house can shut the USA down, and the astonishing thing is that nothing happens to those politicians, in Australia if our Prime Minister shut the country down him and his government would be fired by the Governor General and new elections called. One could say the US Supreme court could do the same job, but all the Supreme court judges are picked for their loyalty to a political party so one can hardly call them neutral As for single payer health care the USA is like a passenger ship with the skipper trying to steer with an oar. Why not have states set up their own health care systems, if Iceland with a population of 300,000 can do it no reason why US states cannot.
Another topic maybe but the figures say Australia spends less per capita for public health care than the US does.

Its just our money is spent smarter.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:14 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,171,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy

So, an OFA Obama sycophant posts his plug for Obamacare. Thanks, but no thanks. We had better care here till Obama and the Democrats started pushing their agenda on us. That's why people from other countries, when facing real health issues, always came to the United States for treatment. Doesn't that tell you something?
People go to a lot of countries for medical care, a lot of Americans actually go to Mexico for procedures, with countries in the Far East are also increasingly popular. Whilst in terms of the very wealthy they often head for medical centres of excellence such as London's Harley Street.

Saying that I am sure America is a great place to live, with a high standard of living and with being such a large country it is very diverse in terms of weather and landscape. It is also home to some truly unique natural wonders from awe inspiring mountain ranges and national parks through to stunning natural wonders such Niagara falls or the Grand Canyon. The US is also home to some beautiful coastline and amazing unspoilt areas. The scale of such natural phenomenon in the US is also often being beyond the comprehension of people living in other countries, indeed to get lost in a wooded forest or in the wilderness in the US is very different to being lost in the woods or wilderness in most countries.

Last edited by Bamford; 02-21-2014 at 06:39 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 06:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,778,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchick118 View Post
To the well traveled, do you feel America is the best place to live or does it depend on what stage you are in life? Maybe different places are better when you hit retirement age or maybe you feel America is just the best in every department. Why are why not? Please don't answer if you only go for mission trips, or if you only go to super touristy destination.

Thanks
Having lived on three continents, my answer is yes. The high cost of health care during retirement might cause me to retire someplace else, but for non-retired professional people it is the best place.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-21-2014 at 06:31 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,742,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
For maximizing earning potential, America is still the best, but that's about where it ends.

I'm convinced that American life is making a huge percentage of the population psychologically damaged: addiction, depression, anxiety disorder, autism, asbergers, bipolar, bulimia, intellectual disability, impulse control disorder, extreme narcissism, insomnia, PTSD, and all the others. Add to that increasing allergies and asthma, preventable physical disabilities, and of course obesity... Americans are a mess these days.

I see far less of these when I travel and I know the statistics would back up my claim.
No you do not. If you did you would have them.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:57 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,049,068 times
How can there be any one best place to live for the billions of people that live on planet Earth? For some the best place to live might be what's considered to be a 3rd world country if they are in the top 10% income earners in their country. That same person might have to come to the states and not be able to obtain the same standard of living here as they did "back home". In a case like that the U.S.A would NOT be the best country for them.

What I really want to know is: Why are so many people in the U.S.A deeply invested in the myth that this place and the people who live here are the best on the planet? If that is the case than the inevitable conclusion is that we 330 or so million people living here in the states on this piece of land we call the U.S.A are SUPERIOR to everyone else and everything else you can find outside of our borders.

Gee, remind me why a lot of people around the globe see the people of this country as being xenophobic, nationalistic, and dare I state racist too? Since all these "patriots" certainly don't think of the minorities here as being "true Americans" in the Sarah Palin sense of the term? Where did that reputation come from?

Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,702,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchick118 View Post
To the well traveled, do you feel America is the best place to live or does it depend on what stage you are in life? Maybe different places are better when you hit retirement age or maybe you feel America is just the best in every department. Why are why not? Please don't answer if you only go for mission trips, or if you only go to super touristy destination.

Thanks
Yes.

Or at least we were, things are changing in a 'fundamental' way, and I'm not sure how free or safe from government harassment we will be down the road.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,460,351 times
Default the best of both worlds

I live in two countries. THe US and Canada. Since I work in the US, it is essential that I have a residence here for the days I am between assignments. However, I also have a home in Toronto. which is best? That is hard to assess. I love them both.

The US is changing before my eyes...and not for the better. Canada is secure, the people are wonderful (most anyway). However, it is cheaper to live in the US.

I am very happy to be able to live in both of these fine countries.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,174,812 times
Heaven on Earth to me is the Bernese Oberland region of the Swiss Alps. The USA is will likely always be home, but if we were to buy a chalet somewhere, the BO would be our destination.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 AM

59,398 posts, read 27,561,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
I can give you one valid reason for preferring to live in another developed Western country over the United States - free health care. There's something to be said about never having to worry about health care or the quality of health care, regardless of whether you're employed, unemployed or retired.
" free health care" Are you really naive enough to believe it is free?

I guesses you never heard of taxes!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,383,654 times
Nope, I wanted to move to Canada but I don't make enough nor do I have an "in demand" job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies