Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
No it would not.

See this post

Loss of Unemployment Insurance does not affect the Unemployment Rate.
Your post notes what unemployment insurance measures. If you are no longer on it of course you are not counted. We are talking about those who are unemployed, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Good thing the Republicans are working to raise the minimum wage.

Oh wait....
It's too bad Democrats are doing everything they can to keep people on minimum wage jobs.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:46 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Your post notes what unemployment insurance measures. If you are no longer on it of course you are not counted. We are talking about those who are unemployed, period.
Again ... you are making your own assumptions about who is counted and who isn't.

Try reading the rules:

http://www.bls.gov/cps/faq.htm

Quote:
Who is counted as unemployed?

Persons are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work.
Workers expecting to be recalled from layoff are counted as unemployed, whether or not they have engaged in a specific jobseeking activity. In all other cases, the individual must have been engaged in at least one active job search activity in the 4 weeks preceding the interview and be available for work (except for temporary illness).
NOWHERE in the above rules does it mention ANYTHING about Unemployment Insurance.

The only things that matter are:
(1) they do not have a job, and

(2) they actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and

(3) they are available for work.
And I will repeat again what the BLS states about Unemployment Insurance related to the Unemployment Rate (from same BLS website as above):

http://www.bls.gov/cps/faq.htm

Quote:
What do the unemployment insurance (UI) figures measure?

These data are not used to measure total unemployment because they exclude several important groups. To begin with, not all workers are covered by UI programs. For example, self-employed workers, unpaid family workers, workers in certain not-for-profit organizations, and several other small (primarily seasonal) worker categories are not covered. In addition, the insured unemployed exclude the following:
  • Unemployed workers who have exhausted their benefits
  • Unemployed workers who have not yet earned benefit rights (such as new entrants or reentrants to the labor force)
  • Disqualified workers whose unemployment is considered to have resulted from their own actions rather than from economic conditions; for example, a worker discharged for misconduct on the job
  • Otherwise eligible unemployed persons who do not file for benefits
Unemployment Insurance IS NOT USED to measure total unemployment as stated above.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Persons are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work.

I've been out of the work force for 5 years.....the kids are off to school and I'm now out looking for a job. How does the government measure me?

I've been out of work and reporting to the government my activities to keep my unemployment up to date. I've run out of benefits so I am no longer reporting to the government. Have I quit looking or just quit reporting to the government?

Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
No it would not.

See this post

Loss of Unemployment Insurance does not affect the Unemployment Rate.
And the source is the government!!! What a surprise.

You go right ahead and believe what the government tells you. I'll stick to my belief that it is corrupt, lies to the American people, and looking to destroy this country. Our government has become a self-serving organization and has no interest in serving the people nor doing what is in the interest of the country.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Absolutely!

From your article above:

Quote:
One reason Wall Street may have looked on the bright side Friday is that the separate survey of households the Labor Department uses to calculate the unemployment rate told a different story from the payroll data survey. It showed a gain of more than 600,000 workers, helping bring down the unemployment rate.
Try reading the BLS info directly from the source:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Quote:
After accounting for the annual adjustment to the population controls, the civilian labor force rose by 499,000 in January, and the labor force participation rate edged up to 63.0 percent. Total employment, as measured by the household survey, increased by 616,000 over the month, and the employment-population ratio increased by 0.2 percentage point to 58.8 percent. (See table A-1. For additional information about the effects of the population adjustments, see table C.)

Last edited by RD5050; 02-08-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

I've been out of the work force for 5 years.....the kids are off to school and I'm now out looking for a job. How does the government measure me?

I've been out of work and reporting to the government my activities to keep my unemployment up to date. I've run out of benefits so I am no longer reporting to the government. Have I quit looking or just quit reporting to the government?
If you were selected to be part of the BLS's Household Survey which is used to calculate the Unemployment Rate, I believe you would be considered Unemployed, since you meet all three of the conditions mentioned on their website.

Quote:
Persons are classified as unemployed if
  1. they do not have a job,
  2. have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks,
  3. and are currently available for work.
I also recommend reading the BLS Employment Situation Summary for Jan 2014:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Old 02-08-2014, 01:04 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
The stock market also loves billions of dollars of federal dollars being pumped into it each month artificially propping up the market. Only problem is that only masks the real problems and creates an inevitable corrections or crash when we can no longer afford to keep pumping borrowed money into the system. Eventually you have 2008 all over again. It's not a question of if but when.
Exactly, there are 75 billion reasons why the stock market is not reflective of anything to do with the economy.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
If you were selected to be part of the BLS's Household Survey which is used to calculate the Unemployment Rate, I believe you would be considered Unemployed, since you meet all three of the conditions mentioned on their website.
You "believe"? I know of not a single unemployed worker ever surveyed. You?

I'm 22 and just out of college. I'm looking for a job, how does the government know that? I was fired from my last job and not eligible for UI so I didn't sign up but I'm looking for a new job. How does the government know that?

If they don't even know you are unemployed how do they select you?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:17 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
So let me get this straight in my head.

Unemployment falls to five-year low on weak jobs report...

Teen Rate Hits 21%...

Black Teen Unemployment Jumps to 38%...

SHOCK: Almost One in Four 26 year-olds still live with parents!

And generation y thinks Obama is the best thing ever?

Ignore the Unemployment Rate

The most totemic statistic about the U.S. economy is archaic and misleading

Today at 8:30 a.m., the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics released its monthly employment report, as it does at the start of every month. As usual, the announcement was widely covered in the financial and mainstream media—a convenient hook for commentary about the state of the economy, the arc of the recovery and the future of the U.S.
Let's see what teens are experiencing in this 0bama economy: BLS-LNu04000012Q

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies