Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I understand that you believe that and feel that way. But "fundamental rights" are held to be different things by different people. The "right" to marry is not defined in the Constitution. Marriage is not covered in what we refer to as our "Bill of Rights", or the "Rights of Man" of the French Revolution, or the Magna Carta or anywhere else. Marriage was just understood to be between man and woman until only very recently in human history. This is new legal territory and it will have to be sorted out in SCOTUS. You and I are hoping for opposite results.
You should google it, Fundamental Rights are in the Bill of Rights and no state can dictate what is and isn't allowed with our Fundamental Rights. This isn't what you or I believe, it is just a fact. Marriage is one of those Fundamental Rights.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Meh whatever. Two soldiers died in Afghanistan today. You think gay marriage is more important. Shows where the libs priorities lie
I never said it was more important, that is just a false assumption on your part as usual. But I hate to break it to you, many things can be important issues at the same time. We don't live in a one important issue at a time kind of world.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Unless the Attorney General of Virginia files an appeal, which seems unlikely, SCOTUS will not be asked to weigh in on this decision. She stayed the decision only to give the State of Virginia the opportunity to file an appeal.
She filed a stay based on the likelihood it will be appealed. Just because VA's AG has made a deal with the Devil does not mean the VA House cannot appoint someone to take up the appeal.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Yes they are, just like in 67 with Loving verses the state of Virginia, they were forced, along with 16 other states with bans on interracial marriage, to stop their bans on interracial marriage. At that time more than 70% of the population of southern states still opposed interracial marraige and even up to the early 90's Alabama still denied marriage licenses to interracial marriage and even a few years ago a judge in Georgia refused a marriage license to a black/white couple. Do bigots really think that their religions, their morals, their rights trump everyone else's? Do you?
Do I? LOL Don't be silly.
First off marriage isn't a right. No one should ever be able to force their views of marriage on anyone. As far as the law is concerned bigots can think and do as they please as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others. Since when is government in charge of moral issues? Yea lets keep one of the most immoral entities in charge?
We the people are the ones who make the call if we want to recognize marriage. Real men don't need the Nanny state.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Bound234 View Post
Because a society with no morals, eventually becomes lawless. Why can't you grasp this basic point?
Government has no morals. Government is not society. Why can't you grasp this basic point?

Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
First off marriage isn't a right.
Yes it is. Affirmed by SCOTUS at least 14 times. It's been discussed here probably 5,000 times.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:15 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
A Black Obama appointee writes an absurd opinion. I think even she knew it was absurd that's why she stayed the decision. She just wants her moment in the sun. Her decision opens and closes with irrelevant quotes. It's riddled with poor writing and confuses the Declaration of Independence with the Constitution. Hopefully SCOTUS will put an end to this nonsense.
They will, but I have a feeling you aren't going to like the decision.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Do I? LOL Don't be silly.
First off marriage isn't a right. No one should ever be able to force their views of marriage on anyone. As far as the law is concerned bigots can think and do as they please as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others. Since when is government in charge of moral issues? Yea lets keep one of the most immoral entities in charge?
We the people are the ones who make the call if we want to recognize marriage. Real men don't need the Nanny state.
The only people forcing their views on marriage on others are the ones BANNING certain people from getting legally married. No one is forcing you to have a same sex marriage.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Yes it is. Affirmed by SCOTUS at least 14 times. It's been discussed here probably 5,000 times.
Can you prove that it is in the Constitution? Like prohibition, right?
The ruling,currently, is about only allowing heteros to marry. Before that it was about inter racial marriage. Government should not be able to discriminate by law. Government should be about equal access for all of the people. No different than over turning Jim Crow.
If government would have stayed away from these issues America would be a much better place.
Why give power to the same corrupt entity that enslaved our people and continues to run parts of our daily lives? Is it because government knows best?

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 02-14-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The only people forcing their views on marriage on others are the ones BANNING certain people from getting legally married. No one is forcing you to have a same sex marriage.
sigh......
I don't care either way. However when government uses force, even on an issue I agree with I have no choice but to take a stand against that tyranny. We fought a revolution to over throw tyranny and we didn't do it to replace it with our own brand of tyranny.
Keep government out of marriage, completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies