Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:12 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times

Advertisements

How many "parents" are trying to raise a family on minimum wage?

less than 3% of the working population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
How many "parents" are trying to raise a family on minimum wage?

less than 3% of the working population
Why is this foolish statement repeated over and over. You're misleading people.

REALITY:
less then 2 % of the working population makes EXACTLY the minimum wage
more then 20% of the working population makes less then $10.10 and would be affected by raising it.

I suppose I could just let people say "its only 2%" and then reply with, so hey-no big deal then, why not do it if its only 2%? But come on, lets be honest people.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Hey, if you increase the Minimum Wage 33%, then I want a 33% increase in my Social Security and Military Retirement checks, too!
No worries, you will get them year after year with COL increases tied to inflation. Or would you rather we stopped the COL increases, and just pegged Social security to minimum wage? Now that would be entertaining.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:04 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
Default Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It will affect every worker in the US, if I'm making $10 now that means my labor is worth more than minimum and I'm going to want a 33% increase too. Labor costs will increase across the board, prices will reflect those increased costs and the minimum wage worker is back to square one.
Exactly right...it will raise prices, no doubt. Why is it that many simply do not understand this?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I suppose some will continue to think that, however, there is no history that shows raising min wage actually has that effect. Makes a "good" talking point tho, huh?
What it DOES do, for those who are are incapable of comprehending the post they replied to, is deflate the wages of everyone already making equal to or greater than the minimum wage you proscribe to.

Everyone already making more, has had wages artificially deflated, when you raise other's wages, without raising theirs. Then there will be the cost increases associated with wage increases so businesses will react by cutting hours, (Seen the last time congress pushed through the minimum wage increase), cutting workers, (Seen the last time congress pushed through the minimum wage increase), and increasing prices, (Seen the last time congress pushed through the minimum wage increase).

Then all those people already on the edge, who have hours cut back, or lose their jobs, will lose their homes, they should have NEVER gotten a mortgage for but was allowed to when the banks were FORCED to make those loans, lose their cars, and everything else.

Of course those people who are now making more, (Probably less than 3% of the working population), will have to deal with price increases, (Seen the last time congress pushed through the minimum wage increase), and those who were already making at at just above the new minimum wage, since their wages probably didn't go up, but prices have, their buying power is reduced, thus reducing their standard of living.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's difficult to explain Real Life to stupid people.

Who says it should be?

On what basis?

Is your position too weak to defend?

The 50 Million "uninsured" was trickery, too.

There is evidence raising the minimum wage costs jobs, but you don't want to see it.

Before you cite some silly biased study, I suggest you exercise due diligence and follow up on those studies, because the authors most commonly cited in support of minimum wage have backed-off of their claims (after their data and methodology was proven false).

Where are the 50 Million "uninsured"?....

Mircea
Right? Not to mention this latest gem...

Last May, Ford said it would stop manufacturing in Australia, and General Motors announced late last year that it, too, would be closing down.

Now, Japanese automaker Toyota is the latest to shut down production in Australia. Toyota said its move to end production in the southern Australian state of Victoria was “heartbreaking.†Senior managers blamed high labor costs and a strong Australian dollar, which has made Toyota cars sold overseas more expensive.

The Australian government has also been unwilling to offer subsidies to offset higher costs for car manufacturers.

Pull Out of Japanese Car Maker Toyota Latest Hit To Australia's Economy

Now where was I hearing about how great Australia was?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Exactly right...it will raise prices, no doubt. Why is it that many simply do not understand this?
Because the REALITY is that everytime we have increased minimum wages the resulting inflation has been incredibly small. even when it was over $10 inflation adjusted the country did not crash into death and despair.

Why is it that many simply do not understand this? Oh wait...because they think of it like their houshold finances, dont understand that 70% of our business is all related to people spending money, and that giving the lowest folks on the totem pole more money is a good thing.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Of course those people who are now making more, (Probably less than 3% of the working population), will have to deal with price increases, (Seen the last time congress pushed through the minimum wage increase), and those who were already making at at just above the new minimum wage, since their wages probably didn't go up, but prices have, their buying power is reduced, thus reducing their standard of living.
I love this. Someone who still keeps quoting the less then 3% idea. This is being intellectually dishonest. And who hasn't looked at inflation rates and minimum wage increases to see that reality doesn't agree with him.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:30 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Where did the figure $10.10 come from. Was it pulled out of the same butt as the $250,000 figure?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Where did the figure $10.10 come from. Was it pulled out of the same butt as the $250,000 figure?
Presidents state of the union speech referred to it. Its easy to remember, and less then the minimum wage has been before I believe. Could have rounded it to 10 just as easily I suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies