Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:51 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There hasn't been labor trouble in years. They have UAW plants, like in Spring Hill, Tn where they've been working a long time without even having a contract.

The UAW accepted deep concessions to keep the industry afloat...even accepting a two tiered pay system.

The union isn't why the Big 3 had problems. They manufactured junk..that's why they had problems.
They manufactured junk because they couldn't keep the price of their cars competitive.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The only difference in them and their union counterparts is accountability and more pay in their checks.
A win win for non-union labor.
And apparently a loss for VW management. Not only do conservatives despise the working class they also despise the company that pays them.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
And apparently a loss for VW management. Not only do conservatives despise the working class they also despise the company that pays them.
The workers voted and they voted NOT to have a union.
Where's your "tolerance" ?
This is their decision, not yours.
This is their job and their paycheck, not yours.

And I doubt that all those workers in in the plant were "conservatives".

Old 02-15-2014, 05:58 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
That is BS, Toyota, Hyundai, and Honda are much cheaper than GM, Chyrsler, and Ford.. Stop spreading your lies.. I think it is odd when liberals complain of taxpayer money going to companies, but apparently it is okay to subsidize unions...
So you`ve never shopped for a new vehicle. Get back to us when you have.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:06 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
heh. In the good 'ol south, there are no jobs, In Tenn. you have to be white and poor to be privileged enough to work in a "right to work " (aka fire w/o cause ) state.

I see the OP still has her hatred of transplants and northerners going strong. Same reason home "skoolin" is so popular in the good old south.

They pay schoolteachers 25k in Tennessee. The economy is abysmal.

Ignorance has led them to being the largest takers of WIC, and Medicaid for unmarried Appalachians, no husband or job, no income.

"And that's what I lobe about the South". an old song.

Redneck lady disses Obama - YouTube
Aside from the irony of you attempting to call someone else out for prejudiced attitudes, your post is a flat out lie. Teachers in Tennessee actually make a pretty decent salary.

From the Tennessee Teachers Association:

Quote:
For the 2010-11 school year, Tennessee’s average classroom teacher salaries ranged from a low of $38,483 to a high of $57,242.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
It's amazing the crap spouted by people on both sides of the argument. It's pretty typical of all arguments.

Toyota's and Honda's are not cheaper than GM Chrysler Ford. Hyundai is some and while I don't want to argue it Hyundai/Kia are lesser quality. Then the employee's were gave a fair shot to state their opinion here and they choose to not go with the union. What's the problem? It was obviously a fair vote.

GM's didn't fail earlier because of the unions but the unions did indeed play a role. In a shrinking world the unions refused to get out of the 50's and 60's. GM was run by idiots also. Part of it was the countries fault also. CEO's are paid by what Wall Street thinks of them as opposed to what is best for the company. If a CEO had made decisions to help out GM in the long term view Wall Street would have punished GM.

That said, I work in a non union plant. Thursday we got a 2.5% raise. No fuss, no bother, no strike. $28.65 an hour. Here in a low COL area, I can't complain. We have voted no on the unions also.

My son works for a union. This has been noted before......the one big benefit he gets from his union is very good health care. Medical-dental-eye and it covers very well for nothing outside his union dues out of his pocket. He has been told by the union that they do not know what is going to happen to that benefit because the government is attacking these benefits as being "too good".

So while those that are pro union will stick to attacking "conservatives" right now it's this administration doing the most damage.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:18 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
So you`ve never shopped for a new vehicle. Get back to us when you have.
Retarded as usual, your ASSumption is wrong...

Old 02-15-2014, 06:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
The German concept of Works Councils is quite different from gansta' style union thugism. Git educated.
There hasn't been any gangsta style union thugism (whatever the hell that means) in a hell of a long ass time, and certainly not from the UAW. You get educated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Thank you. My pockets are big. Need more in them.
LOL...yeah, right. You and everyone else on C-D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
And I would wager, that you are a union member...

I remember, back in 1987, my wife and I had our first child, and she wanted to work part time, and found a job at caldor's in Groton Ct. It turned out that Caldors, is a UNION SHOP, and to work there, she had to join the union, and pay union dues. Part time for her, was anywhere from 10-20 hours a week. They take the Union cut every 2 weeks, becuase they were paid bi-weekly. One paycheck, she was sick, and only got in 4 hours the one week, and nothing the next, and the next check she got, after taxes and union dues was NEGATIVE, because it wasn't enough to cover the automatically deducted union dues, and she had to make it up on the NEXT check.

Yup, gotta love that union, "Pay us to work here", attitude.

The only good union, is a Credit Union.
You'd lose that money.

You have a habit of making bad wagers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Umm, there has been. Not strikes and riots, but crappy rules that hurt the company, brand and young workers.
Nope...there hasn't been. The UAW has been very good to the Big 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The only difference in them and their union counterparts is accountability and more pay in their checks.
A win win for non-union labor.
What's in their checks is their business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
They manufactured junk because they couldn't keep the price of their cars competitive.
They manufactured junk because that's all they were seemingly capable of producing. Other nations during that same time produced great stuff with a unionized workforce.

Besides, American cars are better now, but they still leave much to be desired in the fit and finish category.

Sure, they can make somewhat decent Pickups and SUV's...but i wouldn't be caught dead driving those things.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:59 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,864,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
heh. In the good 'ol south, there are no jobs, In Tenn. you have to be white and poor to be privileged enough to work in a "right to work " (aka fire w/o cause ) state.

I see the OP still has her hatred of transplants and northerners going strong. Same reason home "skoolin" is so popular in the good old south.

They pay schoolteachers 25k in Tennessee. The economy is abysmal.

Ignorance has led them to being the largest takers of WIC, and Medicaid for unmarried Appalachians, no husband or job, no income.

"And that's what I lobe about the South". an old song.
Get a clue.
Go to most any factory in the south, and you'll see a higher-to-much higher percentage of minorities working at those factories compared to the demographics of the surrounding areas.
And yes, the south has a multitude of jobs and factories. Blue-collar jobs that liberals comically defend and despise at the same time.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Unions pay better and look after their employees. Sorry you don't agree.
No, they don't.

We are all adults. As an adult, I don't need to pay someone to look after me...what is that? Is that like a babysitter? If I don't like a work environment, I leave that work environment. That's how it works. You're a fool to pay someone to think about maybe obtaining some type of a spine to perhaps represent a few of your complaints...well, at least the ones that will ruffle the fewest feathers.

Unions are a damn joke. Spineless little whiny types. I don't need a coward to have my back, and I certainly am not interested in paying for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies