Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There are plenty of crap jobs where there is literally nothing you can do to earn a higher wage. What are you going to do in a convenience store? Upsell product? Clean the coolers? Stock all the racks to the max? We already do those things; there is no uncharted territory for us to seize.

At one point I thought I was pretty clever, I thought I'd scout around for potential new and cool products to carry but my employer had zero interest in expanding his selection.
Did you gloss over what I wrote? What part of, "I worked crap jobs for 10 years while I honed my craft" did you not understand? Are you going to work in a convenience store your whole life, or are you going to say, "Gee, this job really blows chunks. Maybe I should work on something that I'm pretty good at, and make myself extremely valuable."

You walk in to a convenience store and see misery for the rest of your life because you can't move up in the convenience store.

I walk into a convenience store and see temporary conditions that motivate me to become something far, far better than a product facer and shelf duster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
can do

Not everyone can do what you did and just saying what you did or someone else did does not prove anyone can nor proves that businesses do not want to pay bare minimum.
Another who glossed over what I wrote.

I started out not getting work in a field I wanted to work.

I took crap jobs for 10 years while I made myself better at what I wanted to do for a living. (Ten years because sometimes I worked four crap jobs a day and didn't have several hours a day to work on improving my skills.)

I then landed work doing what I wanted to do. When I started out, I made "x" amount of dollars.

Less than one year later, my value has increased six times over what I was worth when I started.

Yes, everyone CAN do what I have done, you just have to stop making up a bunch of excuses as to why you can't do it. If you're going to throw in the towel every single time life gets hard, you're right, you won't be able to do it.

And again, it most certainly DOES prove that if you are more valuable, a business WILL pay you more. How blind are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies