Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think marijuana should be legal in all 50 states?
Yes 89 81.65%
No 20 18.35%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Both marijuana and alcohol should be illegal in all 50 states
The government has no business telling people what they can and cannot put in their bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Those who run prison companies surely dream of the same thing coming true. They're surely keeping their fingers crossed that legalization in Colorado and Washington will fail. Meanwhile, dope dealers would take delight adding a new product to their inventory to sell in the street--alcohol.
Yep. Gotta keep the profits rolling to the Prison Industrial Complex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Marijuana has healing properties which we have ignored. It already helps chemo patients. Kids with seizures are benefiting from this when no other medication helped. Families are moving to Colorado just for this reason.
SHHHH!!! Big Pharma, the Prison Industrial Complex, and our elected officials don't want people to know this. It hurts their bottom line!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,704 times
I am all for people making informed choices, but they have to realise that smoking cannabis involves health risks, so if they smoke cannabis and develop lung cancer or other health problems when they are older then they shouldn't start kicking up a fuss or trying to sue people. They are just going to have to accept that it's a risk.

Does smoking cannabis cause cancer? : Cancer Research UK : CancerHelp UK

Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Yes ,legalize it so it can be researched more for medicinal use. I want to know if it can help people with conditions like cerebral palsy, to help ease the tight muscles. Sure as hell can't be worse than injections of Botox into the muscles of kids w/ CP, which didn't help my son at all.
There is already research and patents in various areas here, though more can be done.

U.S. Government owns the patent on cannabis cures...

Old 03-19-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I am all for people making informed choices, but they have to realise that smoking cannabis involves health risks, so if they smoke cannabis and develop lung cancer or other health problems when they are older then they shouldn't start kicking up a fuss or trying to sue people. They are just going to have to accept that it's a risk.

Does smoking cannabis cause cancer? : Cancer Research UK : CancerHelp UK
The smoking issue has been brought up before in regard to this topic. There have been other options presented.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
The government has no business telling people what they can and cannot put in their bodies.

Yep. Gotta keep the profits rolling to the Prison Industrial Complex!

SHHHH!!! Big Pharma, the Prison Industrial Complex, and our elected officials don't want people to know this. It hurts their bottom line!
This kind of thing should not be happening.
US~Observer - Medical Marijuana Prosecution"
quote:
Patricia has already informed us that Scoble told her to pack up her home and get ready to go to prison. According to Albright, she doesn’t have any defense because Federal Judge Garland E. Burrell Jr. has stated that he won’t allow a “medicinal marijuana†or “legal according to California State law†defense. This is pure insanity! Even people charged with federal tax evasion are afforded the “good faith belief†defense of believing they weren’t required to pay the federal income tax. And there are no state laws making tax evasion legal, whereas California State law makes Patricia’s medicinal marijuana grow perfectly legal. If this is indeed Judge Burrell’s position, he will be responsible in great part for her false prosecution.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Brownies.
Problem solved.
Yes you mentioned combining chocolate previously. Sounds like a winner. I also posted these previously, but appears there could be a market here.

Bliss Edibles - Bliss Edibles
Dixie Elixirs & Edibles - medical cannabis infused products

Old 03-19-2014, 06:02 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Yes, it should be legal. It is no worse than alcohol. In fact, I find it far less pernicious than alcohol. I tried marijuana for the first time at 35 and currently use it almost exclusively for medical purposes (I get terrible headaches, and medical marijuana candies take the edge off of the stress and allow me to sleep with no meaningful side effects - my doctor actually thought it was a reasonable idea given that there are so few options for sinus headaches beyond surgery.) Having used it occasionally for the past year, I actually cannot see how it would be habit-forming, and I have a highly addictive personality. For this reason, I have never tried a cigarette, and I rarely permit myself more than one beer. Marijuana is just something that occasionally helps me sleep - most of the time I forget I even have it in the house.

Frankly, I picked up a jar of cookie butter from Trader Joe's the other day, and trust me, that is FAR more habit-forming. I keep going back to the cabinet... :P

I'm sure the side effects of MJ are devastating for people with severe existing mental health issues, but pretty much any controlled substance is devastating for people with those conditions. My friend's daughter has borderline personality disorder - she skipped right over pot and alcohol and went straight to heroin. People like that are always going to find their fix, whether it's legal or not. If she'd become a raging pothead, it would have been a blessing compared to using a drug like heroin.

I've lived in Colorado for 3 years now, and during that time marijuana has been legal in practice for most of that time, and currently is in reality. I have not noticed any major problems, and in fact, I am far more concerned by the number of drunk drivers on the road, given the number of breweries in the area. The number of people who drive drunk here is INSANE. At least with pot, people tend to stay home, and if they're high they just drive slower. Meanwhile, I've seen plenty of drunks peel out of the bar they just stumbled out of and speed off like lunatics. (Once I saw this happen right in the center of the city, in an area filled with pedestrians.) I've dealt with potheads and I've dealt with alcoholics - both pretty extensively. Who causes the most grief, chaos and damage to those around them? Take a guess.

The tax revenues are pretty awesome though.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
The smoking issue has been brought up before in regard to this topic. There have been other options presented.
The people I know who use it regularly use a bong or edibles. None of them smoke joints or pipes. My friends who use it occasionally (like once every few months, if that) will use pipes or rolling papers - I don't think that's enough to cause cancer.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:13 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Brownies.
Problem solved.

I love brownies, never had pot brownies though

Old 03-19-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I love brownies, never had pot brownies though
Apparently, there are companies that make these kind of things. However, whatever you do stay away from the nutmeg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies