Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Sorry - getting my government oversight stories confused. Yes, this is people that will be there to question reporters etc. - even worse.
I believe the study had researchers in newsrooms for a month. This would allow the researchers to examine the editorial processes being used when determining what was broadcast. The FCC is, as part of this study, not purposing any long term on site monitoring of the editorial process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I believe the study had researchers in newsrooms for a month. This would allow the researchers to examine the editorial processes being used when determining what was broadcast.
It's none of their business.

Quote:
The FCC is, as part of this study, not purposing any long term on site monitoring of the editorial process.
One month or one day, it's none of their business.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
I believe the study had researchers in newsrooms for a month. This would allow the researchers to examine the editorial processes being used when determining what was broadcast. The FCC is, as part of this study, not purposing any long term on site monitoring of the editorial process.
What do you propose was the purpose of the study? Were they just curious, or did they want to be in the know in cocktail party conversations when people talk about the media? Were they just wasting time?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yeah, I'm going to jump on you too. Have you seen the WSJ story? The FCC actually wants to know- "One question for reporters is: "Have you ever suggested coverage of what you consider a story with critical information for your customers that was rejected by management?"

Ajit Pai: The FCC Wades Into the Newsroom - WSJ.com

Imagine the consequences of such questioning of an underling about their bosses decision? Maybe they should just put a hotline in every newsroom for disgruntled reporters.

Also - "the agency selected eight categories of "critical information" such as the "environment" and "economic opportunities," that it believes local newscasters should cover. It plans to ask station managers, news directors, journalists, television anchors and on-air reporters to tell the government about their "news philosophy" and how the station ensures that the community gets critical information."

WTF is the FCC doing questioning local newscasters about what stories they cover? And the FCC is "suggesting" certain categories should be covered? Really? You're comfortable with the Obama administration "suggesting" news services should cover certain stories? How would you folks feel about a Republican administration suggesting to the MSM they should only cover the pro-life side of the abortion debate or run stories debunking global warming?

These are ugly waters the Obama administration and the FCC are wading into. This is an open door to media censorship, anyone defending this is out of their minds.
You mean have a seen the op-ed written by a FCC commissioner that was published on a site for which, at least originally, I would have to pay to read. A site BTW controlled by one of the few large media conglomerations that are increasingly controlling access to news and information.

Yeah, I read it. I believe I was granted access based a trial access for new customers. I would suggest that if the FCC commissioner was really concerned he could have published his op-ed in a manner that would be more readily available.

The FCC role is based on what functions Congress has mandated the FCC perform. Monitoring how the public airwaves are used is part of that mandate. This is one of the reasons why TV and radio stations have to get an FCC license to broadcast.

This study has zero to do with the current administration or some future Republican administration attempting to control content that the administration supports or opposes.

This study is about an attempt to quantify to what extent local issues can or are being covered in the current media environment. One possible outcome is the study determines that local issues are well covered; that having a handful of media conglomerates dominate the whole broadcast spectrum has not eliminated local coverage.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What stops them? The fact that I have many to choose from that wants my money. I actually have two providers. The home one and the cell one. Both cable companies offer internet. If one doesn't want my money I'm sure the other does.

Heck I can go 1/4 from my house and access it free at the welcome center......or McD's or any of the many different places that offer it.
And if those providers choose to control what content you are able to receive, you are also ok with that?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
And if those providers choose to control what content you are able to receive, you are also ok with that?
I prefer it over the government.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:11 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Yep, yah, sure, ya bet'cha. In and then out, never to return.

If that was all they wanted, they could get this type of general info by hiring some people who used to work for CNN or talk to their pals over at NBC

Old 02-20-2014, 02:12 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Voluntary monitors - who in the hell is going to do that? This sounds like an Onion article or a South Park episode. Good grief, bad idea. Not to mention wasting our tax dollars.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
What do you propose was the purpose of the study? Were they just curious, or did they want to be in the know in cocktail party conversations when people talk about the media? Were they just wasting time?
You can find links to the original study that led up to the FCC proposed study at Annenberg site.

USC Annenberg | Dean Wilson, Weil and Ph.D. student Ognyanova present public's critical information needs to FCC

The American public has measurable, significant and unmet information needs at the individual and community level, a team of USC Annenberg researchers concluded at a June 26 meeting with the Federal Communications Commission.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I prefer it over the government.
Well I prefer that neither the government nor media conglomerates control the news and information I receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies