Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,318,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
God forbid that the FCC might sponsor a study demonstrating to what extent that access to news and information is increasingly controlled by a few corporate organizations and individuals. Just not ignore the fact that in certain markets the take over is virtually complete with little or no access to local content or coverage of local issues.

You think I'm the blind one?
40 years ago one person pretty much controlled the news and what we would see on a daily basis. Walter Cronkite. Today you can get on the internet and get news from all over the world.

If you are suspicious about what Brian Williams tells you, you can find other viewpoints in a matter of minutes. If a station decides to present the news that is only negative towards the administration it's none of their business. The "why" doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,855,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The internet is making it all a bit irrelevant. I'm sure it won't be long before the government decides to "moniter" your decision there also.
The internet is not a magic solution guaranteeing access to information, particularly with the current court ruling.

From a former FCC commissioner.
From the desk of a former FCC Commissioner : Columbia Journalism Review

Equally threatening to journalists’ and others’ online future has been FCC reluctance to guarantee a truly open internet. The secret of a thriving internet is that users, not gatekeepers, control their online experiences. The core idea of the open internet is that consumers should be free to access the lawful content of their choice, run the applications they prefer, and enjoy the benefits of transparency and non-discrimination by preventing internet service providers from favoring their own businesses over others. This is not just to encourage competition; it is also to maintain a free flow of information so citizens are able to access a diversity of providers. Permitting Verizon, AT&T, or Comcast to control access to information is a direct and unacceptable threat to our democracy—and to you as journalists, since gatekeepers can separate you from your audience for any reason they choose.

Some claim that internet freedom is a solution in search of a problem. Yet there has been no lack of attempted gatekeeping in numerous cases such as AT&T’s restricting FaceTime, Madison River, and the well-known instance of Comcast throttling BitTorrent, which struck me as purposefully slowing certain applications on its networks and discriminating in a way that threatened the freedom end-users expect. Now AT&T is talking about a “sponsored data” plan wherein deep-pocketed content providers could pay for quicker carriage than small sites could afford

Old 02-20-2014, 11:07 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,604,003 times
Quote:
The internet is not a magic solution guaranteeing access to information, particularly with the current court ruling.
So the solution to guarantee access to information is to put government cameras in the newsrooms?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:

From a former FCC commissioner.

[i][color=Navy]Equally threatening to journalists’ and others’ online future has been FCC reluctance to guarantee a truly open internet.
No study is needed to keep the internet open. I have no problem accessing any and all news sources I desire.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
40 years ago one person pretty much controlled the news and what we would see on a daily basis. Walter Cronkite. Today you can get on the internet and get news from all over the world.

If you are suspicious about what Brian Williams tells you, you can find other viewpoints in a matter of minutes. If a station decides to present the news that is only negative towards the administration it's none of their business. The "why" doesn't matter.
40 years ago there was a robust newspaper industry providing lots of local coverage with reporters generating original content. Now we just of the illusion that are many sources of information.

More for a former FCC commissioner:

During my 10 years at the FCC, I took part in literally scores of town hall meetings and community forums all across America to tell people what I saw happening and to learn more about their personal experiences with our communications ecosystem. Several of these sessions lasted over six hours and drew hundreds of citizens.

In some places these meetings would attract media attention; in others they would go uncovered. It didn’t take me long to figure out why the disparities. If a community’s media was under consolidated control—with a large and distant company owning the major broadcast and, often, newspaper outlets—the coverage would usually be somewhere between slim and none. But if I was visiting a town where independent media still existed and locally employed journalists were on the beat, there would be advance notice that a meeting was going to happen; there would often be live TV coverage; and the event would be reported in detail, often on the front page of the local paper.

But let us ignore the problem because Obama is the president.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
No study is needed to keep the internet open. I have no problem accessing any and all news sources I desire.
Who is your Internet provider? What stops them from cutting off your access.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
So the solution to guarantee access to information is to put government cameras in the newsrooms?
You realize the study has zero to do with putting government cameras in the newsrooms.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,604,003 times
Quote:
You realize the study has zero to do with putting government cameras in the newsrooms.
Sorry - getting my government oversight stories confused. Yes, this is people that will be there to question reporters etc. - even worse.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:28 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,351,137 times
Quote:

You think I'm the blind one?
Yeah, I'm going to jump on you too. Have you seen the WSJ story? The FCC actually wants to know- "One question for reporters is: "Have you ever suggested coverage of what you consider a story with critical information for your customers that was rejected by management?"

Ajit Pai: The FCC Wades Into the Newsroom - WSJ.com

Imagine the consequences of such questioning of an underling about their bosses decision? Maybe they should just put a hotline in every newsroom for disgruntled reporters.

Also - "the agency selected eight categories of "critical information" such as the "environment" and "economic opportunities," that it believes local newscasters should cover. It plans to ask station managers, news directors, journalists, television anchors and on-air reporters to tell the government about their "news philosophy" and how the station ensures that the community gets critical information."

WTF is the FCC doing questioning local newscasters about what stories they cover? And the FCC is "suggesting" certain categories should be covered? Really? You're comfortable with the Obama administration "suggesting" news services should cover certain stories? How would you folks feel about a Republican administration suggesting to the MSM they should only cover the pro-life side of the abortion debate or run stories debunking global warming?

These are ugly waters the Obama administration and the FCC are wading into. This is an open door to media censorship, anyone defending this is out of their minds.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Who is your Internet provider? What stops them from cutting off your access.
What stops them? The fact that I have many to choose from that wants my money. I actually have two providers. The home one and the cell one. Both cable companies offer internet. If one doesn't want my money I'm sure the other does.

Heck I can go 1/4 from my house and access it free at the welcome center......or McD's or any of the many different places that offer it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies