Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,554,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Personally for me Wood=Work. As long as my ground source heat pump keeps my house warm I will never turn to cutting, chopping and splitting wood. That said to each his own. It's easy to say no big deal just go buy a wood stove that meets the new EPA regulations. It's only money right? I would hazard to guess that most folks using wood as a primary source of heat do so because they don't make 80 g a year like I do. I have no idea if there is price increase for the new EPA approved stoves. I think wood stoves are small fish compared to the pollution created by AirForce 1 whenever any President uses it for campaign trips, vacations or goodwill tours.

I would hazard that when a member of congress decides to use military jets to go visit the troops there is whole lot more pollution involved.
I would hazard that when the Navy or air force does their flybys for sporting events it creates more pollution than those wood burners.
When I was building, a ground source heat pump added somewhere around $12k to the $5-8k cost of a forced hot air system. An in-floor radiant heat system (while much more efficient and pleasant than FHA) was sigificantly more. A quality wood stove will run ~$3k with another ~$1k in installation (chimney system, pipe, support, etc). It's also a more pleasant heat than forced hot air, with no drafts. (OK, we won't talk about the costs of a chain saw, splitter and the Kubota I use to haul wood from the forest).

We use a stove as our primary heat source mostly because we have more than enough dead and dying timber to supply our heating needs. Burning in any wood stove (certified or not) is cleaner than the alternative, burning slash on the ground in an uncontrolled manner. Or worse, leaving that fuel in the woods to eventually contribute to a wildfire. One wildfire will put out more pollution than every wood stove ever sold. Not to mention that it eliminates a the largest portion of our monthly electric bill, and cuts down on the coal burned or dams built to produce the power.

Now...if the EPA wanted to actually reduce the particluates from wood burning, they would go after the Forest Service. Their management policies have resulted in massive amounts of dead and dying timber in the forests, all fuel for a potential fire. Wildfires are increasing, and again, one wildfire produces more pollution than a massive amount of wood stoves. Going after wood stoves is like draining the Atlantic with a spoon.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 02-20-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,594,523 times
Regulations like this are sadly amusing to me as I live in a rural state where use of wood stoves is widespread and necessary in our sometimes sub-arctic climate.

We have huge forests, and are not allowed to manage them due to the EPA regulations, so the forests are overgrown and that brought about a beetle infestation that killed millions of trees, (which we can't cut the dead trees for lumber by the way), so we have all this fuel load that burns each summer in huge wildfires that consume hundreds of thousands of acres and pump tons of particluates into the air.

But my wood stove is the major cause of pollution according to that same EPA?

Give me a break

P.S.
Didn't see Toyman's post before I posted, he is exactly right on this!.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,672,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to this, the EPA proposed updates to air standards for newly manufactured wood stoves and heaters. Please explain the quantum leap to the EPA banning the use of all wood stoves.

Ordinances and Regulations | Burn Wise | US EPA

According to your own links, local governments in some states ban the use of non-compliant stoves.

It's my understanding that some counties in your state ban the use of some wood burning stoves at defined times within the year. EPA certified stoves are exempt.
Thank you for this post.

I knew that any thread that started out "Putative President Obama" was going to be based on a lie. I'm glad that there are people who know the facts and are able to refute the OP's fraudulent claims.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,659,213 times
I hope they will still sell the wood pellet stoves, they burn clean.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,863,785 times
After a few more years of global warming...um I meant climate change, or what ever it is now called, we will not need wood stoves. Guess that means climate change / global warming / whatever it's called is good ?

Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,952,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
At my hunting camp in New Mexico, I use a wood stove that puts out some serious heat during the winter and it is good to cook on. They are very beneficial when the electricity goes out plus they are cost effective using wood as a natural resource. In rural America, this will have a tremendous impact on peoples daily lives when it becomes neccessary to use them in their homes. This is another example initiated by the putative president getting the government to intervene in our lives.

EPA's Wood-Burning Stove Ban Has Chilling Consequences For Many Rural People - Forbes

Obama regime bans wood-burning stoves. Wants you to rely on government for heat.

EPA's Wood-Burning Stove Ban Deals Blow to Rural Homes
The article says the ban is for production and sale of a perticular type of stove. All stoves in use today are grandfathered in.

The EPA is not going to confiscate people's stoves. ALL new stoves sold after the restrictions will meet the EPA's standards.

A wood burning stove isn't advanced technology...I could built a metal wood burning stove in a weekend.

Homemade woodstove - YouTube

People didn't need to buy wood stoves 100 years ago. Americans have lost how to provide for themselves. If it isn't sold at the home depot, people are lost.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:02 PM

17,455 posts, read 9,288,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
We're banning wood stoves up here as well, because they're incredibly polluting.
Montreal is also banning Fireplaces ......
Quote:
Homeowners with wood-burning stoves or fireplaces will have to permanently render them inoperable, have them removed, or have them replaced with a fireplace that burns gas or a stove that burns EPA-approved pellets.
Montreal moves to eliminate all fireplaces within the City Limits.

When you look at the EPA and ThinkProgress charts ..... a Fireplace ban in the USA has to be next.

The new EPA ban begins in 2015 - it's claims that no product on the market today meets their new standards. Emissions must be reduced by 80% of what is currently sold. The ban on new products won't meet their Agenda - eventually they will attempt to ban what people already own and use - just as Montreal is banning Fireplaces.

The interesting thing is that the Federal Government was giving Tax Credits to people the buy these "biofuel" heating devices just a few years back .... now they will be 'banned'. Natural Gas is of course the 'cleanest' fuel, but the Envio-Wackos and the EPA don't want the drilling for it or the transport for it in the USA. Go Figure.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,554,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
The article says the ban is for production and sale of a perticular type of stove. All stoves in use today are grandfathered in.

The EPA is not going to confiscate people's stoves. ALL new stoves sold after the restrictions will meet the EPA's standards.

A wood burning stove isn't advanced technology...I could built a metal wood burning stove in a weekend.

Homemade woodstove - YouTube

People didn't need to buy wood stoves 100 years ago. Americans have lost how to provide for themselves. If it isn't sold at the home depot, people are lost.
You are correct, you could, with the right equipment. Only thing is, you now need to spend another $100,000k to have it tested and certified by an EPA approved lab before you can use it! Now, of course you ran a computational fluid dynamics program when you designed your secondary combustion system to ensure that you're geting a good reburn, right? And evalutated the insulating properties of the firebrick and rockwool in the stove to ensure that your firebox stays hot enough for efficient combustion. And designed a nice airwash system to make sure your ceramic glass door front stays clean?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:18 PM

15,540 posts, read 10,527,165 times
Not a chance. Folks in the mountains would get mighty uncomfortable with them.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:21 PM

7,521 posts, read 5,766,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The great President Obama has, as usual, taken the superior position here. Why be upset because your party didn't think of it?
Don't $hit yourself. He's dumber than a bag of rocks. I will give you credit though you support him regardless of his complete and total incompetence. Like people stick together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies