Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:45 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
that and ritalin. half the white kids i went to school with were on it.
HALF?? So, if there were 2,000 white students you are saying 1,000 were on ritalin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 PM

587 posts, read 1,412,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I doubt that it is actually "the drug of choice" for young white people in the suburbs.
I live here in the Baltimore area and it is all the rage with white kids out here. Weed is like cigarettes to white kids out here. Acid and mushrooms were a right of passage for this crowd as well. But heroin is the ultimate high for white kids out here. Largely, it depends on what part of the country. Out West, Meth is more popular with white people it seems.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM

587 posts, read 1,412,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I always associated it with the death of people like Janis Joplin (1970), who didn't meet the "downtrodden impoverished overwhelmingly black populations in squalid inner city districts" criteria.

However, there is nothing "new" about heroin use surging in suburbia. Using just one example, Plano, TX:

Plano, Texas: A Community's Struggle with Drugs. This article was written in 2006.

ABC Evening News for Sunday, Jan 18, 1998: Headline: Plano, Texas / Heroin (Note this was 1998.)
I wasn't saying it was "new" for white people in the 'burbs to do dope. I was saying that 90% of new heroin users are white people from the suburbs. Heroin addiction has become a suburban white problem in many metro areas as black folks who grew up in the city have learned not to touch it from watching their elders.

I was born in the early 80's in San Francisco in a neighborhood known as Oceanview. I lived literally 50 feet away from one of the most active dope trenches in the Bay Area in the 80's and 90's. Back then, my neighborhood was mostly black although inner city Bay Area neighborhoods have always been much more diverse and integrated than inner city areas outside of Northern California. Most people who used crack and heroin in my old hood in the 80's and 90's were sad and tired older black folks who had rough lives and watched the neighborhood spiral from being a nice quiet middle class area to becoming a jobless, hopeless, violent drug infested ghetto warzone. There were always suburban white kids who commuted to the hood to buy dope and crack, but they were not the majority of the buyers back then. Most people from the much nicer surrounding neighborhoods were scared to death to even go to my old neighborhood in the 80's and 90's, including the cops.

I have lived in the Baltimore suburbs since the 90's. Heroin has always been huge in the 'burbs out here. Back in the 90's, tragic young and white cultural icons like Kurt Cobain and River Phoenix glamorized the deadly drug amongst teenage white kids going through the classic suburban adolescent alienation phase. However, the big H is now bigger than ever. You don't even need to go to the hood in Baltimore to cop anymore. Kids are snorting it nowadays which makes it more attractive because no one wants to stick a needle in their arm. However, most addicts progress to the injection phase.

A lot of it is generational. I am an early 80's baby and although I am not white, pills were never the drug of choice when I was in high school. Weed and alcohol were the universal substances among all races. White kids used acid and 'shrooms and a very small subset of white kids used dope and cocaine although white people from the suburbs will usually tell you that they've "done everything" as if thats something to take pride in. But today, its gone well past experimentation. Today, it seems regular recreational heroin use has been completely normalized amongst average middle class suburban white kids under 25 out here in the Baltimore area.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 02-21-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 02:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I doubt that it is actually "the drug of choice" for young white people in the suburbs.
You wouldn't know anyway. After all, you're the one who on another thread about drugs more or less downplayed the severity of the drug demand in this country. I mean, you actually tried to sell the idea that Vancouver had a worse drug problem than Boston.

Your fingers are in your ears and your head is buried deep in the sand. You don't WANT to know how bad it is.

Unless we're talking about young black or Hispanic kids...then you'd know ALL the stats like Rainman.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,072 times
Not really surprised nor is it new to me. Like other posters, most kids would go as far as weed and alcohol but the rich white kids would go after heroin too. However, this was happening more in other schools in the county than ours.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:54 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,103,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It is becoming a huge problem here in northeast Ohio as well as around the country, with heroin, and their legal cousins prescription opiates, no question.
Another great example of Darwin's theory in practice. Anyone stupid enough to start shooting this poison shouldn't be allowed to breed. I'm sharing this planet with enough retards already, thanks.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
UMMM, people of all races have been doing drugs, including heroin, for a very, very long time.

This is not new or news.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Heroin is pure refined version of opium. Until the 1920s, opium was widely available and you didn't need a proscription because it was over the counter in places called drug stores. It was used when you felt out of sorts or in pain and needed a pain killer. In Victorian times it was a commmonly used snuff powder which was widely used by the elite of the day.A lot of our upper classes probably kept a supply in the home so they wouldn't have to run out or send the house staff out to get some.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
It's not a "70s thing" on the west coast. In the PNW, heroin was a huge problem in the 90s, up to the early 2000s at least. I left there in 2003 so who knows if it has changed, I don't pay attention to the PNW much anymore...but it certainly was not a "70s thing".

Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,738,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It is becoming a huge problem here in northeast Ohio as well as around the country, with heroin, and their legal cousins prescription opiates, no question. Yet the "Reefer Madness" crowd still wants to hammer on cannabis, and lump it in with nasty substances like heroin.
legalize cannabis and less peeps will do hard drugs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies