Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:48 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
However, there is nothing "new" about heroin use surging in suburbia. Using just one example, Plano, TX:
Heroin was popular among the druggies when I was a kid. And it wasn't even "new" then.

Not naming any dates, but one hint: Black&White TV......

Hearing this described as a "sudden, new problems" tells me that the people reporting on it really have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER what they're talking about.

It's almost like reporting alcoholism as a "sudden, new problem". It says much more about the reporter, than about the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 11:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Not at first. It's the pills that are the choice but when you can't get them then you turn to heroin. Suburban white people love their pills. It allows them to be a legal drug-addict while still looking down their noses and denying that they have anything in common with the dirty brown/black urban drug addicts.

The problem is that the pills are getting kind of tough to come by at this point so now they have to see the dopeman just like an ordinary junkie.

I've taken the health histories of many fine upstanding white citizens of the U.S.A who say stuff like: I take 30mg of Oxycontin 2xdaily for my back pain, 2mg of Xanax 3times daily for my anxiety, and 10mg of Ambien at night to help me sleep. I also have the occassional (means multiple and daily) drink and some pot every once and a while (yeah right let them stay in the hospital for 2 days and they will go into DTs.).

A little weed would help the back pain, reduce the anxiety, and can be a wonderful alternative as a sleep aid too. Wouldn't you think?

Old 02-21-2014, 11:58 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I doubt that it is actually "the drug of choice" for young white people in the suburbs.
Decades ago I grew up in a white, working, middle class environment and heroin was big then.

Heroin has become a drug of choice. Painkillers sold on the street can go for $30. A bag of heroin can go for $10.

Keep in mind, one can snort heroin, the same as coke, and for a lack of a better description you have a longer "control" period when snorting it and addiction takes a bit longer. Heroin by needle is quickly addictive.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:04 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,371 times
I agree 100%

Big pharma doesn't want this weed that can grown in a pot inside of your house to ever be 100% legal. They much rather sell you pills that come with all kinds of side effects. I used to hand-out Ambien's to old people like they were tic-tacs until one day we found out that Ambien is really bad for the elderly. Some docs swtiched to different sleep aids, gave a low dose of a benzo like Clonazepam (which also leads to dependence and can cause seizures if the pt is suddenly cut off from their supply), or gave nothing at all. A teaspoon of MJ oil would have the same effect as any of those drugs but without the potential for bad side effects or dangerous withdrawal but NO big pharma doesn't want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
A little weed would help the back pain, reduce the anxiety, and can be a wonderful alternative as a sleep aid too. Wouldn't you think?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Decades ago I grew up in a white, working, middle class environment and heroin was big then.

Heroin has become a drug of choice. Painkillers sold on the street can go for $30. A bag of heroin can go for $10.

Keep in mind, one can snort heroin, the same as coke, and for a lack of a better description you have a longer "control" period when snorting it and addiction takes a bit longer. Heroin by needle is quickly addictive.

I too grew up in a white, working, middle class environment (graduated in 1991). Cigarettes, booze, and pot were the big things. A few dabbled in hallucinogens like acid, and shrooms, but heroin was pretty much non-existent. We always thought it was such a 70s thing.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%

Big pharma doesn't want this weed that can grown in a pot inside of your house to ever be 100% legal. They much rather sell you pills that come with all kinds of side effects. I used to hand-out Ambien's to old people like they were tic-tacs until one day we found out that Ambien is really bad for the elderly. Some docs swtiched to different sleep aids, gave a low dose of a benzo like Clonazepam (which also leads to dependence and can cause seizures if the pt is suddenly cut off from their supply), or gave nothing at all. A teaspoon of MJ oil would have the same effect as any of those drugs but without the potential for bad side effects or dangerous withdrawal but NO big pharma doesn't want that.

Yeah Big Pharma does hate the idea of having cannabis legalized. I mean, it pays to keep people sick. However; given the trend, and the growing majority that support legalization, I don't think it will be illegal much longer.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:10 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I too grew up in a white, working, middle class environment (graduated in 1991). Cigarettes, booze, and pot were the big things. A few dabbled in hallucinogens like acid, and shrooms, but heroin was pretty much non-existent. We always thought it was such a 70s thing.
It was a 70s thing. And it was also the belief that it was only blacks and Hispanics that used heroin.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Not at first. It's the pills that are the choice but when you can't get them then you turn to heroin. Suburban white people love their pills. It allows them to be a legal drug-addict while still looking down their noses and denying that they have anything in common with the dirty brown/black urban drug addicts.

The problem is that the pills are getting kind of tough to come by at this point so now they have to see the dopeman just like an ordinary junkie.

I've taken the health histories of many fine upstanding white citizens of the U.S.A who say stuff like: I take 30mg of Oxycontin 2xdaily for my back pain, 2mg of Xanax 3times daily for my anxiety, and 10mg of Ambien at night to help me sleep. I also have the occassional (means multiple and daily) drink and some pot every once and a while (yeah right let them stay in the hospital for 2 days and they will go into DTs.).
Heroin is cheaper, a better bang for the buck and often easier to score, than pain pills/opioids, synthetic morphine. Lots of kids and young adults fool themselves by thinking pills are not as bad as heroin and smoking/inhalation of heroin is not as bad as shooting. They are mistaken.

The " it's not so bad" mindset is common in all addicts.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:30 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Whites are the predominant users of drugs (which makes you wonder why black people far outnumber them for drug-related arrests and convictions ).

I'm of the belief that drugs should be legalized. Perhaps when it becomes more of an "epidemic" for mainstream society, something will actually be done to end this epic failure of a war on drugs.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Heroin was popular among the druggies when I was a kid. And it wasn't even "new" then.

Not naming any dates, but one hint: Black&White TV......

Hearing this described as a "sudden, new problems" tells me that the people reporting on it really have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER what they're talking about.

It's almost like reporting alcoholism as a "sudden, new problem". It says much more about the reporter, than about the subject.
I knew many kids in school in the 70's who were addicted to heroin. They all died in their teens-early 20's. They all came from middle class, 2 parent homes.

I volunteered for years in a hospital detox ward in a white suburban community. Parents almost always felt the need to explain that they did not raise their kids to become drug addicts. Parents have an especially tough time accepting that they are powerless over their teen and adult children's choices.

For many, there is such a fine line between alcohol, pot and harder drugs. Only thing I know for sure is that no one tries opioids/opiates with the intention of becoming addicted. They all believe they can handle it, till they can't. And even then......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies