Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
At most universities, it has vague, arbitrary meaning and is selectively applied according to progressive party line. Too many examples bear witness to it.
So. I went to a university too.

The word has a meaning whether you like it or not.

This has nothing to do with politics. For God's sake, not every damn thing in this world is political.

Geez..some of you are watching way too much Fox News and listening to too much political radio every day for your own good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Nearly all of the people who complain about the fake term political correctness aren't complaining about all of those long term limits on speech. Nah, they only complain about the fact their right or ability to insult or put down various groups of people is pushed back upon.

These people who throw around that term political correctness almost universally aren't fighting for some noble cause that dares to address the numerous ways and contexts in which speech is limited, but instead focuses on their narrow interests of insulting various racial, religious, or ethnic groups and how that speech is limited in certain contexts.
Exactly. "PC" these days is almost always invoked by those who want to insult or demean other people, usually in a racial, ethnic, religious or gender-based context, and not want to be held accountable for it.

Sure, you can exercise free speech. And so can other people who may comment on your words.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:48 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So. I went to a university too.

The word has a meaning whether you like it or not.

This has nothing to do with politics. For God's sake, not every damn thing in this world is political.
If only that were true at academic institutions, but indeed, they are more and more political and less and less academic all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Geez..some of you are watching way too much Fox News and listening to too much political radio every day for your own good.
I view FoxNews the way your average MSNBC viewer would, and I view MSNBC the way the average Fox News viewer would. In other words, I find most televised news/commentary to be repellent on its best day. For the most part, it's debate for people who don't understand debate or anything remotely connected to logic and reason.

But the politicizing of universities and the use of speech codes to promote specific agendas is not some Fox News invented hysteria, and is a legit area of concern, considering what university is supposed to represent in intellectual development terms. If there was absolute fairness in enforcement, I am not even having this conversation, but there isn't, so I am.

And I am being specific to universities because that is the topic of this thread.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
As tasteless as it is, there is a risk of going overboard with the criminal matter. I get the offensive nature of it but the damage isn't very high since a noose and flag can just be pulled off of the statue. I don't the blame the fraternity for getting rid of these idiots at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies