Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:54 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,724,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
horse poop~~
it might be that mind set of yours that could be some what at fault
trust me I am a white old lady and I spend ZERO time thinking about race except in statements like yours
that I find pitiful
don't blame me for your anger
blame yourself
don't blame me for your lack of development look in the mirror
I have zero to do with your lot in life
I work hard and do not look to others to make me happy
I do not have time to feel sorry for someone who is always bitching at someone else for their very own
misery
if you are mad then do something about it
frankly I am finding more and more hard to swallow the race game it is so tiresome and boring as hell
when Obama is out of the people's house will this race bull shi* keep going on??
Lord I hope not we have a lot more important things to worry about than that
get over it please it is sicking~~
Yes.....and you are the surrogate of all past and present whites. In other words, you have demonstrated that what is true of you is thus true of whites. Hence, any claim that any black person makes can be refuted by your historical love and benevolence towards the Negro....lol.

what you really need is a nice long, hard and stiff.....black history lesson.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-01-2014 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 04:56 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,952,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How has "structural racism" forced Black boys to drop out of school and commit crime ?
No HS diploma and a criminal record and people wonder why this group has a high UE rate.
I am all for personal responsibility. As a mother of two Black sons, I emphasize this to them all the time, but what bothers me about these discussions is that some people want to brush the institutional racism under the rug. Unfortunately, it still exists. If a Black boy commits a crime, he is more likely to get a harsh sentence than a White one. If a Black person interviews for the same job as a White person with the same qualifications, they are less likely to get the job. I personally know people who were told that an apartment was not available, but when they had a White person ask, they were told there was one. I have seen Black people have to provide more documentation to get a home loan than a White person at the same bank. I sat in a court room myself and watched two drug addicts go before the judge. The White guy got probation and rehab and the Black guy got jail time. Both had been there for the same thing before. People in urban predominately Black neighborhoods are also more likely to get a sub-standard education.

If there is no explanation and the only difference is skin color, a lot of people are going to assume that is the reason. It isn't about playing the race card. The people who built this country believed that they were superior because they were European. Is it that far-fetched that this belief still exists? Is it that hard to believe that there has always been systematic racism in this country? If you think it went away, please tell me when. It wasn't when slavery ended. It wasn't after desegregation and the end of Jim Crow. So when exactly did it stop?

I tell my sons to do better than their peers, and to excel. You can't claim to be a victim of racism when someone is actually better and more deserving than you are. In the same token, I am not with the people who want to pretend that minorities are no longer discriminated against. In doing so they condone discrimination. It isn't just Black people, people are discriminated against for their sex, sexual orientation, religion, and financial status. It isn't okay.

I am constantly seeing threads from White males claiming to be victims of discrimination due to affirmative action, or because of some random crime committed by a Black person against a White person. The thing is that White females benefit from AA more than any other minority group. Furthermore, violent crimes against Whites are much more likely to be committed by other Whites. People who are in such an outrage about "political correctness" or claim to be victimized because they're White are the first ones defending discrimination against non-Whites, non-Christians or gays. Crime is a problem, but so is racism against ANYONE. Systematic racism does affect non-Whites more than Whites and it is not dead. Until it is there will be affirmative action and claims of racism against non-Whites. The crime rate among Blacks does not justify systematic racism.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,646,938 times
All you have to do is ask yourself how come Asian Americans are crushing black and Hispanic kids in school and college and income?

School of Education at Johns Hopkins University-A Closer Look at Asian Americans and Education
by C. N. Le

As has traditionally been the case, receiving an education is of paramount importance for the Asian American community. Like African Americans, Latinos, and American Indians, Asian Americans have had to fight a long battle to have access to desegregated and equal educational opportunities. In this historical context, some of the most important victories were the 1968 and 1969 student strikes at San Francisco State University and U.C. Berkeley that ultimately led to the establishment of the first Ethnic Studies and Asian American Studies programs in the country.

Since then, Asian Americans have faced many other issues when it comes to their educational experience. Perhaps the most far-reaching issue that Asian Americans still face is actually the most ironic. In the past, Asian Americans were fighting mechanisms of prejudice, exclusion, and institutional discrimination that prevented them from even attending certain schools and therefore receiving a fair education. But recently, Asian Americans have been and continue to be touted as the one ethnic minority group that has successfully overcome racism and achieved the American dream, primarily through education.

School of Education at Johns Hopkins University-A Closer Look at Asian Americans and Education

More than 72 percent of African-American births are out of wedlock.Therefore, most of the children living in single parent homes not only live in poverty but were born into poverty. Although there have been many studies trying to pinpoint why this phenomenon exists, there is no denying that poverty and the “invisible†or “checked-out†fathers are common factors.

Asian Americans living arrangements align with these values. They are more likely than all American adults to be married (59% vs. 51%); their newborns are less likely than all U.S. newborns to have an unmarried mother (16% vs. 41%); and their children are more likely than all U.S. children to be raised in a household with two married parents (80% vs. 63%).

Asian Americans have a pervasive belief in the rewards of hard work. Nearly seven-in-ten (69%) say people can get ahead if they are willing to work hard, a view shared by a somewhat smaller share of the American public as a whole (58%).

The Rise of Asian Americans | Pew Research Center

Why do so many Asian-American kids do so well in school?
Researchers are zeroing in on one important reason: the unique style of Asian-American parenting.

http://blackstarjournal.org/?p=3307

A century ago, most Asian Americans were low-skilled, low-wage laborers crowded into ethnic enclaves and targets of official discrimination. Today they are the most likely of any major racial or ethnic group in America to live in mixed neighborhoods and to marry across racial lines.

How come the Asian Americans are not having the same problems that black people are having? perhaps it's time African Americans quit obsessing over past injustices and pay attention to what Asians have done with their opportunities in America. We have African Americans in the highest levels of government, for Pete's sake, not to mention corporate CEOs, governors, members of Congress and an abundance of millionaires.

So, quit complaining and start doing.

The lesson of Asian Americans for blacks: there are more important things than basketball and victimhood

The lesson of Asian Americans for blacks: there are more important things than basketball and victimhood

Old 03-02-2014, 06:15 AM

59,273 posts, read 27,435,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
And economic recessions and depression are caused by fluctuations in the level of education in the labor pool, as well as fluctuations in work ethic. For example, the economic upheaval of 2007-2008, where millions of jobs were lost, and many people were out of work, was caused by a sudden change in the educational attainment level of the labor poor.......or better yet.....a sudden rise of personal irresponsibility and laziness on behalf of Americans, which resulted in a sharp rise in the levels of unemployment.

I never seen a leading or lagging economic indicator that measured education, personal responsibility, laziness and such, to forecast the health and direction of the economy overall. However, in the black community, and in the black community only, those are economic indicators.
"And economic recessions and depression are caused by fluctuations in the level of education in the labor pool"

Sounds like a bunch of elitist academia gobbledygook to me.

The SIMPLE fact is, if you DON"T have a high school diploma, the chance of you succeeding in America are VERY slim.

And the records for blacks dropping out of high school way way back before 2007.

A basic education is the key. WITHOUT that key, you will NEVER open the door of opportunity.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,046,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
. Systematic racism does affect non-Whites more than Whites and it is not dead. Until it is there will be affirmative action and claims of racism against non-Whites. The crime rate among Blacks does not justify systematic racism.

I can believe to a degree that there is some discrimination or if you want to call it, systematic racism. However, I really believe that the black community (not all) really have more of themselves to blame. Is crime a justification? No. But its not just the high level of crime, its the entire culture of a big portion of the black community today. There seems to be this proudness of striving to be different. Stereotypes that really arent just stereotypes, theyre true. The way many conduct themselves, talk, act, dress, etc etc etc. I really believe that plays a part.

But having said that, this Toure clown would be nothing if it werent for his act of crying racism day in and out. To sit there and say you cant make it if you try, because its all set against you because of racism is bs. Responsibility is absolutely important, yet Toure doesnt even want to acknowledge it.

Just like with white families where kids get into hard drugs and this and that, a lot of this goes back to parenting. It starts at home, it starts in the community. And sorry, but there are too many sections of the black community where there is no personal responsibility and its all just a mess of their own doing.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:28 AM

89,171 posts, read 44,953,235 times
Quote:
Yes.....I am the "Angry black man" which is evidenced by my propensity of suggesting that actions produce reactions and suggesting that the races would be in the same situation, given the same circumstances in time and space.
Let's look at the circumstances:

Four in 10 children are born to unwed mothers

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, National Center for Health Statistics, 2011.

Quote:
"Children of unmarried mothers of any race are more likely to perform poorly in school, go to prison, use drugs, be poor as adults, and have their own children out of wedlock.
Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health | NBC News

It's a self-created and self-perpetuating problem guaranteed to grow, exponentially.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"And economic recessions and depression are caused by fluctuations in the level of education in the labor pool"

Sounds like a bunch of elitist academia gobbledygook to me.

The SIMPLE fact is, if you DON"T have a high school diploma, the chance of you succeeding in America are VERY slim.

And the records for blacks dropping out of high school way way back before 2007.

A basic education is the key. WITHOUT that key, you will NEVER open the door of opportunity.
Think of the economy as a game of musical chairs. There are 10 chairs and 12 people circling them. Now, regardless of the educational attainment of the 12......there are still only 10 chairs. Its a false promise that EDUCATION will solve the problem of this situation. If the 12 people in the labor pool all get degrees.....two will still not be able to find a seat when the music stops.

That having been said, if everyone did have an education or degree then they would be filtered out by level of Degree. In other words, associate, bachelor, masters and PHD. America needs a way to justify not being able to fulfill the promise of OPPORTUNITY for all, that indicts the individual, and not the system. Furthermore, keeping the supply of educated people less than the demand is what preserves the higher premium (wages and salaries) for educated people. If everyone did get educated, that would result in the supply of educated people exceeding demand and driving down the value of education. Only something like 27% of the jobs in the economy require a college degree or formal education. China is not booming because of education. Its booming because of cheap labor. The link between jobs and education is spurious. While it is true that most educated people are employed (because the supply of educated is near or matches demand) it does not follow that educating everyone would create employment for everyone, due to supply exceeding demand.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:39 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I am all for personal responsibility. As a mother of two Black sons, I emphasize this to them all the time, but what bothers me about these discussions is that some people want to brush the institutional racism under the rug. Unfortunately, it still exists. If a Black boy commits a crime, he is more likely to get a harsh sentence than a White one. If a Black person interviews for the same job as a White person with the same qualifications, they are less likely to get the job. I personally know people who were told that an apartment was not available, but when they had a White person ask, they were told there was one. I have seen Black people have to provide more documentation to get a home loan than a White person at the same bank. I sat in a court room myself and watched two drug addicts go before the judge. The White guy got probation and rehab and the Black guy got jail time. Both had been there for the same thing before. People in urban predominately Black neighborhoods are also more likely to get a sub-standard education.

If there is no explanation and the only difference is skin color, a lot of people are going to assume that is the reason. It isn't about playing the race card. The people who built this country believed that they were superior because they were European. Is it that far-fetched that this belief still exists? Is it that hard to believe that there has always been systematic racism in this country? If you think it went away, please tell me when. It wasn't when slavery ended. It wasn't after desegregation and the end of Jim Crow. So when exactly did it stop?

I tell my sons to do better than their peers, and to excel. You can't claim to be a victim of racism when someone is actually better and more deserving than you are. In the same token, I am not with the people who want to pretend that minorities are no longer discriminated against. In doing so they condone discrimination. It isn't just Black people, people are discriminated against for their sex, sexual orientation, religion, and financial status. It isn't okay.

I am constantly seeing threads from White males claiming to be victims of discrimination due to affirmative action, or because of some random crime committed by a Black person against a White person. The thing is that White females benefit from AA more than any other minority group. Furthermore, violent crimes against Whites are much more likely to be committed by other Whites. People who are in such an outrage about "political correctness" or claim to be victimized because they're White are the first ones defending discrimination against non-Whites, non-Christians or gays. Crime is a problem, but so is racism against ANYONE. Systematic racism does affect non-Whites more than Whites and it is not dead. Until it is there will be affirmative action and claims of racism against non-Whites. The crime rate among Blacks does not justify systematic racism.
I've always said Black boys don't get the benefit of the doubt. Also that there is discrimination in the work place. Although I suspect that it's no motivated by hate but simply wanting the best workers. The sad reality is that Blacks don't have the best reputations as workers especially in the working class arena so hiring managers just discard the whole group. This is wrong but it is also very human.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Let's look at the circumstances:

Four in 10 children are born to unwed mothers

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, National Center for Health Statistics, 2011.

Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health | NBC News

It's a self-created and self-perpetuating problem guaranteed to grow, exponentially.
Nothing is SELF-Created. Give me an example, other than the big bang, of self creation. Everything has EVOLVED into being by actions begetting reactions over time. Its the law of the universe, as we know it. Hence, the actions of centuries of white racism, against blacks, are not being accounted for as creating any REACTION.....which defies the rule of nature that all actions produce reactions. I mean, its the OBVIOUS explanation for racial socioeconomic inequality in America. Different treatment of the races created different reactions in the races. This is not rocket science......unless ones mind is convoluted with preconceived notions about natural superiority and inferiority of races.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:49 AM

89,171 posts, read 44,953,235 times
Quote:
Nothing is SELF-Created.
Really? Explain why there are significant differences in the births to unwed mothers rates. Who or what is preventing 72% of Black mothers from marrying the fathers of their children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies