Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Do you remember that time when you had to chose between making your mortgage payment or health insurance premium payment? Or what about that other time when no insurer would offer coverage to your spouse because they suffered from chronic migraines? You remember, you had to watch her/him go for more than a full year without being able to get standard tests for anything because without insurance it costs thousands of dollars? Or couldn't afford to get all of their monthly prescriptions filled because without insurance it costs upwards of $1,000?

Because if you don't, if you don't understand how remarkably biased healthcare is for people who need to go it on their own without having sufficient income to pay the insanely high premiums being charged (if they even extend an offer of coverage), you can't speak from a true position of expertise.

Criticize the ACA only if you have a viable alternative, otherwise you're just simply part of the problem we previously couldn't solve.
Funny you should mention migraines... Someone I love had a good healthcare plan, but because it didn't provide her reproductive coverage (she had a complete hysterectomy 15 years ago) as mandated under the ACA her policy was cancelled. She turned to the ACA exchange in her state. Her coverage is now more expensive and she now has a $6000 deductible to pay before her new policy pays a red cent. She doesn't have $6000 and she has migraines, so she does without her medication that helps her get through the day. No, I don't have a solution to the new problems that have been created by the ACA, but then I didn't have a problem before the ACA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 PM

379 posts, read 580,487 times
Quote:
Do you remember that time when you had to chose between making your mortgage payment or health insurance premium payment? Or what about that other time when no insurer would offer coverage to your spouse because they suffered from chronic migraines? You remember, you had to watch her/him go for more than a full year without being able to get standard tests for anything because without insurance it costs thousands of dollars? Or couldn't afford to get all of their monthly prescriptions filled because without insurance it costs upwards of $1,000?

Because if you don't, if you don't understand how remarkably biased healthcare is for people who need to go it on their own without having sufficient income to pay the insanely high premiums being charged (if they even extend an offer of coverage), you can't speak from a true position of expertise.

Criticize the ACA only if you have a viable alternative, otherwise you're just simply part of the problem we previously couldn't solve.
You are the gift that keeps on giving.

One of the sheep. Bah

Old 03-05-2014, 10:26 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times
Quote:
And by "person who voted for this" you mean who exactly? I didn't see it on any ballot that I can remember.

Funny thing is, after reading the article I was thinking that there will now be 8,586 people who will have access to affordable healthcare who are likely now without it.
The whole article in my opinion was a "Tea Party Hit Piece". The actual cost of health care will be about one half of what was reported. Interesting though out of 50 states North Carolina was the only one that didnt provide health insurance for employees under 40 hours. More trash from the Tea Party that will take several days to fall into the trash bin.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:28 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
You are the gift that keeps on giving.

One of the sheep. Bah
I read through this reply twice and didn't find a viable alternative to the ACA. I realize it's a high form of intellectual debate to mockingly one-liner the opposition but I was hoping you'd stoop low enough to intelligently defend why doing nothing for tens of millions of people was okay.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:42 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They will have no choice but to raise the price of tuition, thus harming those who cant afford it the most..

Democratic success..
The poor get a free ride in the form of grants.

It's the middle class who will bear the burden.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:

I remember being homeless because I had no money to afford a dam thing, even food..

Are you suggesting the 8500 or so employees all suffer from some type of chronic illness, and are such poor managers of money that they cant afford insurance?

how is UNC paying $46M in fines, going to get these people insurance?

Old 03-06-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I read through this reply twice and didn't find a viable alternative to the ACA. I realize it's a high form of intellectual debate to mockingly one-liner the opposition but I was hoping you'd stoop low enough to intelligently defend why doing nothing for tens of millions of people was okay.
According to the CBO 30 million will go without insurance due to ACA... Are these the tens of millions of people you dont give a **** about?

Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 AM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
You cant be serious..

Why not? Of course you think it's wrong for anyone other than yourself to have access to health care. I think it irritates the conservative ilk to no end that poor people and those with pre-existing conditions are now able to get health insurance. It makes me smile every time I see a post from a conservative ranting on about how he or she hates the ACA. That means it's WORKING!!!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Why not? Of course you think it's wrong for anyone other than yourself to have access to health care. I think it irritates the conservative ilk to no end that poor people and those with pre-existing conditions are now able to get health insurance. It makes me smile every time I see a post from a conservative ranting on about how he or she hates the ACA. That means it's WORKING!!!
I dont have health insurance, FAIL

more failure, paying $46M in fines, for not insuring your employees doesnt provide them with insurance either, nor is reducing their hours going to put them into a better financial position to buy it.

Do you think before you post crap this horrible?

If the whole point of ACA was to annoy Republcans, then yes, its working.. if however it was to provide insurance to individuals who didnt have it, its failing miserably, as the CBO admitts there will be 30 million WITHOUT INSURANCE due to ACA, and its only going to cost us over $1T to insure NO ONE..

Do you understand how much of a failure it actually is? Of course not, you think its to annoy Republicans...

Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
I remember being homeless because I had no money to afford a dam thing, even food..

Are you suggesting the 8500 or so employees all suffer from some type of chronic illness, and are such poor managers of money that they cant afford insurance?

how is UNC paying $46M in fines, going to get these people insurance?
Health insurance premiums are not fines. Switching the words around in order to make a poorly constructed point doesn't alter the facts.

Quote:
According to the CBO 30 million will go without insurance due to ACA... Are these the tens of millions of people you dont give a **** about?
Y'know what? Upon further reflection I'd prefer the ACA opposition stick to the low brow one-liners and not quote misleading facts. If you really believe that's what the Congressional Budget Office said then there's no real point in engaging in dialogue with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies