Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 08:24 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Many people see it as an equality issue, though that's not really the goal of Gay Activists. For them gay marriage is pretty much just a way for them to push their lifestyle onto others and try to '' normalize '' it.
What about the rest of us that aren't gay activists? Don't we deserve rights and protections? I'm not trying to push anything on you or normalize anything. All I want is to file taxes with my partner, add her to my health insurance, ensure that she gets custody of our children in the case something happens to us, etc etc. What you people fail to realize is that most of us just want this and no one is trying to force you into anything.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
despite what some would have us believe, a man can not be a woman, and a woman can not be a man.

therefore, a woman can not be a father: The Importance of a Father's Role
Seeing the important and complementary roles that both my wife and i play in raising our children, i can never imagine having the Gaul to proclaim to the mother's of the world that I, being the bastion of enlightment that I am, would be able to replace their role as nurturer of the family.

Yet some here have no such apprehension, and liberally insult fathers as being an optional member of the family unit. Devolution, thy name is a test tube.
Again, please show one state law that requires the ability, or willingness, of a couple to have children that are biologically related to both of them, in order for them to get married.

You do not have to have children to be legally married, and you do not have to be legally married to have children.

We are discussing MARRIAGE, not REPRODUCTION.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
What about the rest of us that aren't gay activists? Don't we deserve rights and protections? I'm not trying to push anything on you or normalize anything. All I want is to file taxes with my partner, add her to my health insurance, ensure that she gets custody of our children in the case something happens to us, etc etc. What you people fail to realize is that most of us just want this and no one is trying to force you into anything.
But they need to feel like they're being forced into something, else no one will listen to these crybabies about their alleged victim status.

It doesn't matter. Gay marriage will be the law of the land. Whining conservatives will just have to live with it. It won't kill them.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:29 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
I wish we would get Government out of Marriage and vice versa. Then this issue wouldn't exist. Secular Civil Contracts for everyone, Marriage between Churches, Synagogues, families etc...
The system you wish for is really the system we have.

Government has no involvement whatsoever in religious marriage (except some states do have laws on the books that ban private, polygamous associations - laws that I believe are blatantly unconstitutional (a judge in Utah recently ruled Utah's law is)).

Separate from religious or familiar marriage, we have secular, civil contracts within the law - they happen to be called civil marriages. If the name of the secular, civil law/contract bothers you, I'll gladly support your effort to change the name. Give me (as a homosexual) equal access to civil marriage law today, and tomorrow I'll join in your movement to change the name to whatever you want.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,540 times

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zw4PIcjVNg

I agree that a child needs and wants both a Mom and a Dad. Gay parenting is not the same, as anyone with a brain knows.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 AM

This is awesome.

Quote:
Testimony has ended in a trial over Michigan's ban on gay marriage after a Canadian economist made unflattering remarks about homosexuals.

Doug Allen of Vancouver, British Columbia, said Thursday that gays who engage in homosexual acts are bound for hell unless they repent. His comment came during cross-examination Thursday in Detroit federal court. Allen is a witness for the state of Michigan, which is defending a 2004 state constitutional amendment that bans gay marriage.
I sincerely hope the judge takes into account the very thoughtful and well-reasoned testimony of Mr Allen. /sarcasm

Testimony ends in trial over Michigan's gay marriage ban

Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
the reasoning is that the Supreme Court has ruled that marriage supports happiness, and the Declaration of Independence guarantees everyone the pursuit of happiness.. period..

All other personal reasons is secondary to the legal argument that gays should be allowed to marry so they can be happy.
Since when does marriage make people happy?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Has the Conservative Base Given Up on Gay Marriage? - NationalJournal.com

Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Huh? I listed 3 things my boyfriend and I can't do:

1) Write a contract to secure an immigration visa.
2) Write a contract to secure the right to sue for wrongful death in court.
3) Write a contract to secure the right to live in military housing and shop at the base commissary.

How is it that I actually can do those things as you claim, and how would my boyfriend and I having a child make that easier?
yes you can, if you adopt your deceased boyfriends child upon his death, you then can sue on behalf of your child, in the same way Michael Jacksons family sued the doctor on behalf of his children.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 AM

493 posts, read 783,626 times
Quote:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zw4PIcjVNg

I agree that a child needs and wants both a Mom and a Dad. Gay parenting is not the same, as anyone with a brain knows.

The homosexual offenders (Corinthians 6:9-10) playing the moral high-ground, THERE'S a doomed path!

You know, because Dr. Drew's over opinionated and under educated sidekick should be everybody's "go-to guy" when it comes to moral authority

not surprising to hear such racist steroetypes from that very prejudice demographic. west coast republican (castro district elitist?) could prolly tell some tales about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies