Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Obviously this means tax season is coming and someone doesn't want to do his taxes. Personally I get that out of the way as soon as I can so I can get back any money owed to me and plan our next vacation. This year was a double trip, we went to Philly a couple weeks ago and then going to where I grew up in a couple more weeks. I love tax season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:00 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
The IRS, and income taxation, is legal and has been tested many times. I know tax deniers seem to magically think that if they squeel enough the IRS will go away and all of those programs funded by it would keep going by unicorn farts and pixie dust.

If you want the IRS to go away, then go lead a movement or a lawsuit against it. Fight the agency you want to get rid of and figure out something new. Get off your fat ass and quit expecting other people to lead the charge.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nope its not unconstitutional...but it is stupid

why tax on income, when a good portion of income is never reported, especially from all the people who work off the books

get rid of the income tax, and the estate tax and start taxing spending

FairTax.org Home Page - Americans For Fair Taxation
It is illegal to pay people off the books, we should crack down on illegal employments. Also why would you want to punish those making the least with a high sales tax because there would not only be a state sales tax for those that have it, but a federal sales tax to make up for the loss of an income tax.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:17 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Not unconstitutional, but;

Could make a Title VII claim, disparate impact based on race and gender. It would be a long shot, not get anywhere, but would get noticed.

What should be really addressed is how screwed up property tax is.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:59 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is illegal to pay people off the books, we should crack down on illegal employments. Also why would you want to punish those making the least with a high sales tax because there would not only be a state sales tax for those that have it, but a federal sales tax to make up for the loss of an income tax.
but it happens all the time

you want to take you wife for dance lessons and dancing on fri/sat...you ask Susie to watch you kids from 6-12 fri/sat you pay Susie 150 for the 12 hours...(this is every weekend) that is 7800 you paid Susie OFF THE BOOKS, unless you gave her a 1099...

Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not unconstitutional, but;

Could make a Title VII claim, disparate impact based on race and gender. It would be a long shot, not get anywhere, but would get noticed.

What should be really addressed is how screwed up property tax is.
I don't have a problem with income tax, I do have a problem with a progressive income tax. Everyone should pay the % of income in taxes. The 14th amendment equal protection clause should apply to income taxes.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Supreme court already said that an income tax is constitutional.
Yes the government validated its own actions, no surprise and criminal as they may be.
Of course slavery was constitutional at one time as well.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sure there is an amendment allowing congress to tax the people. OUCH!

But is it also true, the government has to treat us all equally?

If one gets a dollar, we all get a dollar. If one pays $10, we all pay equally $10.

If someone gets a tax break, we all get a tax break.

Income based taxing, is being used to punish the very people that allow it.

You have 47% of people receiving benefits, but pay zero in income based taxes.

If it is equal for all, why are some forced to pay and other don't pay a dime?

We talk about equality and there is nothing that resembles equality in the laws and taxes our federal, state and local governments make. They want us to be equal. but make it clearly shown, that they keep us unequal.
And you pay 28% of your dollars while a multi-millionaire pays 11% of their dollars. Is that 'equal' to you?
Not me. I pay 30%, and I'm no millionaire by a long shot. I can't even imagine what it would be like to possess a million dollars.
Fairness decrees a millionaire should pay the same percentage you or I do, doesn't it?

I have no problems with taxing the poor. Let them pay 28% too. For the poorest, 28% of nothing is still nothing. If all millionaires had to pay 28%, our deficit would disappear very fast.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Supreme court already said that an income tax is constitutional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
And you pay 28% of your dollars while a multi-millionaire pays 11% of their dollars. Is that 'equal' to you?
Not me. I pay 30%, and I'm no millionaire by a long shot. I can't even imagine what it would be like to possess a million dollars.
Fairness decrees a millionaire should pay the same percentage you or I do, doesn't it?

I have no problems with taxing the poor. Let them pay 28% too. For the poorest, 28% of nothing is still nothing. If all millionaires had to pay 28%, our deficit would disappear very fast.
No it wouldn't, the crooks would just have more to spend.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but it happens all the time

you want to take you wife for dance lessons and dancing on fri/sat...you ask Susie to watch you kids from 6-12 fri/sat you pay Susie 150 for the 12 hours...(this is every weekend) that is 7800 you paid Susie OFF THE BOOKS, unless you gave her a 1099...
Only if you are paying little Susie over $9500 a year, she doesn't need to file taxes. Also it depends on the state, she could be considered an independent contractor and it would be her responsible to file taxes.

Also dance lessons on both Friday and Saturday? That sounds excessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies