Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:26 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Having health care is not my definition of rich, maybe it's yours.
If you pay for health care, you're probably rich.

If you pay for health insurance, you're probably middle class

If you don't pay for either but still get it, then you're probably poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
I agree with a lot of your points except for this. Not to say anything about Obama's leadership or what not, but government pensions being out of control wayyyyyy pre-date Obama and any kind of influence he could have made.
How do you not get that it's a Democrat thing? Teachers unions and public employee unions endorse and vote for which party?

Old 03-12-2014, 04:44 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
That's not the average.

The average teacher's pension in Illinois is $44,844.
That's outdated and biased info.

Here are the real average pension payouts. They're nearly twice what you posted:
Average government pensions in Illinois

And public employee pensions are indeed state income tax free.

Furthermore, public employees contribute very little to funding their guaranteed payment pensions, that's why the state is in fiscal crisis:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolit...tom-looks-like

Old 03-12-2014, 05:39 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
That is 100% your own fault.
Like its the fault of people who lost their homes and now scream about the big bad bankers?

Old 03-12-2014, 05:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Efficiency.

I'm a strong advocate for lowering taxes on wage-earners and increasing them on the wealthy investment class.
Yet you support Obama politics who taxes wage-earners. You know the people busting their asses making $200k who are "millionaires and billionaires". <idiot or lying in chief take your pick>

Old 03-12-2014, 05:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Income is not the primary measure. Wealth is. I would consider anyone with mean household financial (non-home) wealth greater than $1.5 million to be "rich." That's about the top 20%.
But we don't tax wealth. We tax income.

And I'd disagree with you. Using your definition there are a lot of people who are rich because they have IRA's and houses. 1.5 million is barely enough for a 65 year old couple to retire on without pensions and that may be stretching it. The interest on 1.5 million invested at a ROI of 3% is only $45,000/year and that's assuming they don't have part of that 1.5 million tied up in their house so it's available to be invested. $45,000 isn't enough for a retired couple to live off of so they'll be hitting principal.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 03-12-2014 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Efficiency.

I'm a strong advocate for lowering taxes on wage-earners and increasing them on the wealthy investment class.
What percentage of tax payers are in the rich investment class?

The problem with our tax system is not that the rich don't pay enough. It's that the bottom HALF pay too little with many getting back more than they pay in because of tax credits.

I know you live in the utopia of dreamland but here in the US there just aren't enough rich people to pay our way even if we took all their income. The problem is at the other end of the spectrum. There is no reason that every American doesn't pay something to keep the government running.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:17 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
I'd don't really care if income or net worth are used to measure wealth. They are both valid measures.

But of course there is no true definition of the rich, so getting into an argument about it is just a conservative waste of time to really talk about the insane conservative conspiracy theory that the Democratic party wants to punish the rich or near rich, blah, blah, blah.

First off of course the people who run the Democratic party are themselves rich and high income. Many of the big donors to the Democratic party are rich and high income, so they are trying to punish themselves and their wealthiest donors?

How do conservatives get around that reality? With another insane conspiracy theory.

The conspiracy is that somehow the Democratic party excludes themselves and their political allies from higher taxes. They hide it in the tax code where conservative elected officials can't see them and neither can tax experts. SMH.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I am in that bracket and live paycheck to paycheck.
What is your excuse? Too much money in German beers?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Efficiency.

How do you want to tax your targets? Please - how are you going to tax Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Beyonce and Jay Z?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies