Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 06:11 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,435 times

Advertisements

There is one state that has a limit on how long one can be there. One year and the garbage people pick itup. Its a Mexican thing,and by Mexican I mean something else. The same culture that will tattoo a memorial on their rear end and Paint the house bright turquoise and yellow, wear 12 point boots, menmen spekie no english.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A liberal group known as the American Humanist Association has imposed their intolerance for religion on a grieving family who only wanted to create a memorial for their son who died in a tragic accident.

Grieving California mom takes down cross on road after group

It is really pathetic that a group of liberal bigots can force their will on a family that lives 3,000 miles away.

Is nothing sacred?
Yes, something is sacred: the separation between church and state.

These "intolerant bigots" did not object because this family wanted to erect a memorial for their son. They objected because this family wanted to erect a religious symbol--a cross--on a public road. Please don't try to tell me there was no other place the family could have erected that cross!

And I'll tell you something else. I bet if the grieving family were Muslim and wanted to erected a memorial featuring a star and crescent on a public road, a lot of the people supporting this family now would be singing a whole different tune.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Across the road from my house is one of those roadside memorials.....to a dog.
Wouldn't it just be wonderful if everybody jumps on this stupid bandwagon?

Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
If a Satanist is killed in a car wreck, would it be OK for his/her loved ones to erect a Satanist monument on public property?
The court ruling says no if you had bothered to read it. It is fair as it applies to all religions equally.

Also this is as it should be and as the constitution requires. Once again right wing conservatives prove what contempt they hold our constitution in.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Yes, something is sacred: the separation between church and state.

These "intolerant bigots" did not object because this family wanted to erect a memorial for their son. They objected because this family wanted to erect a religious symbol--a cross--on a public road. Please don't try to tell me there was no other place the family could have erected that cross!

And I'll tell you something else. I bet if the grieving family were Muslim and wanted to erected a memorial featuring a star and crescent on a public road, a lot of the people supporting this family now would be singing a whole different tune.

How is a cross on a highway the exact same thing as the government declaring that Christianity is the official state religion? It's like atheists won't be happy until government completely pretends that religion doesn't exist.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
The OP clearly doesn't know the meaning of the word bigot. Asking that the law be upheld equally for everyone, as the constitution requires, does not make one a bigot.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My issue with it would be its size, not its shape. I see those small crosses on the side of the road all the time and as a Jew, they don't bother me at all. I know they're just meant to memorialize where someone was killed in an accident. I wouldn't be OK with a cross 5 feet high, though. That's distracting and unnecessary.

A large billboard sign is even more distracting to drivers. Why not ban those?

Old 03-13-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The Vietnam memorial has no religious symbolism. It is a wall with the names of those Americans who gave their life for the Republic of South Vietnam, listed in the order that they died.
What about the Normany American cemetery? Plenty of religious symbols there, and if the government has nothing to do with it, why was the cemetery closed during last year's government shutdown?

Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-13-2014, 07:20 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
How is a cross on a highway the exact same thing as the government declaring that Christianity is the official state religion? It's like atheists won't be happy until government completely pretends that religion doesn't exist.
It isn't the exact same thing, and no one would ever claim it was. That is a total non-issue.

But this isn't an act by the government. It is an act by Christians who want to display Christian symbols on public property, thus claiming privilege for their faith to do so. That cannot be allowed.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post

It is an act by Christians who want to display Christian symbols on public property, thus claiming privilege for their faith to do so. That cannot be allowed.
Would that mean that I can't wear my cross if I appear on public property? Would I have to slip it inside my collar so it isn't visible and doesn't offend anyone? How about an "angel on my shoulder" pin? How about a cross on a book bag? How about a Bible under my arm in the public square. Can we read the Bible in the city park? Can we share the Bible in a public park?

Or is all the above still to come?

A roadside memorial causes me to remember the family's loss, to say a prayer for them and other drivers on the road with me, and remember to slow down and be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies