Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
If a Satanist is killed in a car wreck, would it be OK for his/her loved ones to erect a Satanist monument on public property?
Who am I to tell someone how to grieve? Honestly, when it comes to a roadside tribute, if you don't like it, don't look. It's not there for you.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:45 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,481 times
I'm not a huge fan of these roadside memorials. This one in particular was a five foot cross. That's pretty large and would be a distraction to drivers. Although the mother is in mourning, she does not have the right to create a road hazard that could cause further deaths at that location.

How come these roadside memorials became so popular? Less than 20 years ago, they were unheard of. When I was young, a number of teens were killed in automobile accidents, yet not ONE single roadside memorial was erected.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:50 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
I find them unsightly, but is it really that upsetting to go to this effort? It takes a fairly petty and insecure person to not accept that the benefit to the grieving may outweigh whatever offense you can reasonably take as you go by at 70 mph.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Not even children?
There is no person, place or thing that is sacred or has ever been sacred.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Who am I to tell someone how to grieve? Honestly, when it comes to a roadside tribute, if you don't like it, don't look. It's not there for you.
Who is it there for then?

If you want a shrine, build it at home.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:02 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Not reading this thread, but it is obvious in the few posts above mine, that people just don't care....way to go....it's all about what YOU think....who cares about the rest....

Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Seriously.... lol

i didn't know there are people in this world who whine so much over a memorial.

"Wahhh!! wahhh! mommy its a cross what are we gonna do mommy!!?!! omg wahhh wahh!!"

Like seriously? close your eyes for a split second if it bugs you that much lmfao...

Old 03-13-2014, 08:18 PM

468 posts, read 827,142 times
Quote:

Really easy to say if you aren't an emergency worker.

About 20 years ago, we were toned-out to an accident scene on a two lane highway. Reported accident with fire.

An individual in a pickup truck had just lost his job. He must have lost his mind too as he was speeding on a two lane road going up a blind hill and decided to pass another car while going across the double solid line. He crashed head on into another vehicle and his vehicle burst into flames.

I was in my POV and arrived on the scene just after another firefighter arrived and was attempting to get the man out of his truck which was fully involved in fire.

Have you ever seen a human being burn to death right in front of your eyes? It isn't a pretty sight.
There was no way for us to get him out and by the time the engine company arrived, it was already too late. The woman he crashed into was busted up pretty bad. She had broken lower extremities as well as facial and torso injuries.

Sure enough, days after the wreck there was a memorial with wooden cross and flowers that remained there for about 3 years. Someone would come by and occasional put flowers on it and clear away the weeds. I called it a memorial to stupidity. This man no only lost his life but he almost killed another person due to his own selfishness and lack of self control.

For the next 3 years, I had to pass that memorial most days and all I could think about was the vision of this man burning to death and not being able to do anything about it. Did I really need to be reminded of that?

Easy for you to say, don't look at it. You don't really have a clue as to what is important in life....... and death.

If you want to place a memorial, do it at the cemetery. It is a lot more meaningful and you don't have to intrude on other people's feelings in the process. Some of us would rather not be reminded of what happened there.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not reading this thread, but it is obvious in the few posts above mine, that people just don't care....way to go....it's all about what YOU think....who cares about the rest....
Right. That's what we're doing...saying what WE think.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:24 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Not even children?
Only to their parents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies