Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:14 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I dont think it's just liberals, northerners.

I've met moderate and conservative northerners that thumb their noses

It's based on stereotypes, I was guilty of that myself until I went to the south and fell in love with parts of it. Although I have no desire to ever see Texas or Oklahoma.
Austin is a stellar city.
San Antonio Riverwalk is really nice too.

Houston and Dallas are just metropoli with not much to see but ok places to live.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Here is what I have learned from this thread:

1. The OP believes that a single article by a writer for the magazine Mother Jones is representative of all liberal/Democrats. I disagree. One should try not to confuse the opinion of one person with the opinions of tens of millions. Plus, the Mother Jones reference seems suspect: the OP tossed it in when others were challenging his or her blanket statement of fact.

2. I have rarely, in my 58 years here in Fort Worth, heard Texans called new-comers a 'Yankee' face to face in a disparaging manner. As a teenager my friends and I may have referred to someone as a "Yankee", but youths do such things. I note that we were not clear on what a true "Yankee" was, by the by; we tended to think anyone north of the Red River fit that category, which is not true.

3. I note that people of all political sides keep moving here. I rarely visit the Fort Worth thread herein, since it simply consists of various people asking where to live, as they are moving here. I have nothing against people moving to Texas for jobs and to improve their life; I just wish they would leave their cars at home. Anyway, people from around the country are 'voting with their feet'.

4. Texas, as some have noted, is a wide-ranging, beautiful state. One poster noted the Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend Country. If you ever have a chance, take a raft down the Rio Grande through the canyon. It is breathtaking. Mind the rapids. Others have spoken of the other natural beauties to be found, so I will not repeat. I agree that much of the land in the western section is, well, just flat land. Yet, places like Midland and Abilene continue to grow. Bring your own water if you contemplate moving to certain parts of Texas.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-14-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
There's a lot of bigotry and hatred from the left toward the South and southerners. My question is, why?
"My question is, why?" Ignorance would be my guess.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
There's a lot of bigotry and hatred from the left toward the South and southerners. My question is, why?
It is probably a reaction to the bigotry and hatred the South and southerners hold towards people who disagree with them.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
its not just limited to the south... its anyone that has an opposing opinion.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It is probably a reaction to the bigotry and hatred the South and southerners hold towards people who disagree with them.

I look at it this way. This is a big country, and with that comes several different regions with different cultures. What works in Texas, may not necessarily work in New York, or vice versus. The same could be said when it comes to the differences between ALL urban and rural areas in this country. At any rate, if I go to a different region of the country, I'll do my best to be polite in "their house." If I feel that strongly against it, I simply won't go to that region.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I am not even a liberal and I have heard such **** about the Northeast and California from southerners that you wouldn't believe. This is a double edged sword, my friend.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:43 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I live in a Southern state but the region itself isn't traditionally Southern. I find it ironic that Northerners move down South to try to change things that left their previous area in shambles. Much of the Northerners are liberal so to speak and they are usually not the kind of normal people that Southerners are.

Lots of areas in the South have pretty much down-to-earth folks and much of liberals apparently tend to be snobby. Liberals in South don't appear to be all liberal but there aren't very many.
"but there aren't very many" And you formed your opinion on what?

I see a LOT of dems from the South on this list:

Contact Democratic Politicians

Old 03-14-2014, 10:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
In part, you have Thomas Jefferson to thank. From his letter to the Marquix de Chastellux...

Quote:
An observant traveler, without the aid of a quadrant, may always know his latitude by the character of the people among whom he finds himself...In the South they are fiery, voluptuary, indolent, unsteady, independent, zealous for their own liberties but trampling on those of others, generous, candid, without attachment or pretensions to any religion but that of the heart.
To be fair, he was also critical of Northerners. He didn't much like anybody in the colonies, excepting the Pennsylvanians, who he seemed to find most agreeable.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:14 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Why? Texas is more "progressive" than the Deep South and has far more to see. I just don't get why people who have never been to my state feel so strongly about their dislike of it.

Little Texas - God Blessed Texas - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies