Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:39 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
My hostility is bare. It is directed at those who insist on imposing their worldview, which has no basis in fact, on the rest of us who experiment and observe. I am hostile to them. I used to pretend that I wasn't. I used to believe that there was room for tolerance of opposing viewpoints, but I have come to realize that there's no tolerance of mine, so why should I tolerate theirs in return. Why pretend to be nice. I f*cking despise religion. Why did 9/11 happen after all? Was it a secular crime or a religious one? All for a God that doesn't exist. Lives snuffed out forever. Damn right I'm intolerant and hostile.
Well, then be intolerant and hostile towards the extremists that still stone women to death and kill apostates. Hint, it ain't Christians.

I have always been agnostic, but I live in the Bible Belt so am very used to religious people. I have never had any religious person as hostile to me as the atheists. Just a thought.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:45 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Well, then be intolerant and hostile towards the extremists that still stone women to death and kill apostates. Hint, it ain't Christians.

I have always been agnostic, but I live in the Bible Belt so am very used to religious people. I have never had any religious person as hostile to me as the atheists. Just a thought.
You're "agnostic"...lol. Right.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
You're "agnostic"...lol. Right.
You don't know me, but I could care less what you think.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
That's the thing. For some reason, some people suggest that if you dare to question evolution, that means you don't believe in science. Wha???

Of course, that is absolutely absurd but it's an easy way for people to write off anything a religious person says when you treat anyone who questions evolution as someone who doesn't believe in science.
What do you mean 'for some reason'?

If the questions come from a lack of knowledge or a misunderstanding of the Theory of Evolution, then there are many freely available public education sources that can answer them.

If the questions come from wilful ignorance because a person doesn't want to accept the ToE because of religious beliefs, then yes, that means they don't accept science.

However, if someone thinks they have a valid alternative scientific theory to the Theory of Evolution that explains ALL the evidence and facts of evolution BETTER than the ToE does and is as consistent with all other relevant fields of science, then gosh, they need to present it to the world and they'll be famous. So far, in over 150 years, no one has.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
What do you mean 'for some reason'?

If the questions come from a lack of knowledge of the Theory of Evolution, then there are many freely available public education sources that can answer them.

If the questions come from wilful ignorance because a person doesn't want to accept the TOE because of religious beliefs, then yes, that means they don't accept science.

However, if someone thinks they have a valid alternative scientific Theory to the Theory of Evolution that explains ALL the evidence and facts of evolution BETTER than the TOE does and is as consistent with all other relevant fields of science, then gosh, they need to present it to the world and they'll be famous.
They won't. They can't. So we're left with half-cocked "objections"...for the sake of objection. They don't even understand the science they're arguing against.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:32 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Not necessarily.
Either that or disproving the thesis with evidence at least as good as that that proves the thesis. Either way - just saying "nuh uh", which is what most zealots do, doesn't hold water.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Then there is this bit of news....

Gravitational waves offer new insight into Big Bang

Old 03-18-2014, 05:41 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Evolution is not a sound scientific theory.

People who rightly question evolution aren't "rejecting science", they are criticizing the promotion of something that has more holes than a chunk of Swiss cheese.
Please provide evidence to support your notion that evolution is not a "sound scientific theory".

Old 03-18-2014, 05:58 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

And the most hostility I've ever encountered was from christians whose ideas about the universe can be so easily swept aside by the simplest scientific fact.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
And the most hostility I've ever encountered was from christians whose ideas about the universe can be so easily swept aside by the simplest scientific fact.
Yes. It is a natural over-reaction to the fact that literalist Christian dogma is unsustainably inconsistent and indefensible on several levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies