Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:02 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,694,167 times

Advertisements

I applaud him for this. You can't debate evolution denialists.

Quote:
The deniers, of course, are already out in force over the new Cosmos, whose first episode brought up both evolution and global warming, and whose future episodes will tackle human evolution in greater depth. At the creationist website Answers in Genesis, one writer even goes so far as to dispute the show’s treatment of the Big Bang, writing, “The big bang model is unable to explain many scientific observations, but this is of course not mentioned.”

Tyson certainly has plenty of criticism for those who would deny science. “I claim that all those who think they can cherry-pick science simply don’t understand how science works,” he explained on the podcast. “That’s what I claim. And if they did, they’d be less prone to just assert that somehow scientists are clueless.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson on "Cosmos," How Science Got Cool, and Why He Doesn't Debate Deniers | Mother Jones

Old 03-15-2014, 06:07 PM

924 posts, read 668,333 times
I'm as atheist as they come, and even I was shocked that an educational primetime show on network tv actually acknowledged that the Church killed people to slow progress (and keep people stupid).

Of course, the religious right is in uproar, but they can be mad at the truth for as long as it takes.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:57 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,051,215 times
Evolution is not a sound scientific theory.

People who rightly question evolution aren't "rejecting science", they are criticizing the promotion of something that has more holes than a chunk of Swiss cheese.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:10 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,472,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
I'm as atheist as they come, and even I was shocked that an educational primetime show on network tv actually acknowledged that the Church killed people to slow progress (and keep people stupid).
People can believe in God and yet not be bible thumping caricatures. Shocking as it may be, we believing conservatives don't actually hate women, poor people, or blacks.

All one has to do is believe that the private sector can solve problems more efficiently than the public sector, and one instantly becomes a racist, greedy, misogynistic, warmonger.

And the people doing this stereotyping are the people who consider themselves the tolerant and intelligent ones.

It's absurd.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,135,271 times
Quote:

Of course, the religious right is in uproar, but they can be mad at the truth for as long as it takes.
It was interesting bit of history but I think they spent too much time on it and were making a political statement. History needs to be exposed but I'm not so sure that was the correct platform.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:18 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Agreed. Too much soap box nonsense.

More time could have been spent discussing actual science.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,725,093 times
I disagree. That would be ignore the audience, something which good communicators know never to do.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:25 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,455,716 times
From the op's link:

Last Sunday's debut of Cosmos, the rebooted series from Fox and National Geographic, made television history. According to National Geographic, it was the largest global rollout of a TV series ever, appearing on 220 channels in 181 countries and 45 languages. And, yes, this is a science show we're talking about.

I find it encouraging that a science program draws such a large audience. And Dr Tyson is a worthy successor to Carl Sagan as the popular voice of scientific inquiry. Sagan's passing 17 years ago left a large void that has proven difficult to fill.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 AM

21,493 posts, read 10,611,444 times
Why is this continuously put in the Politics and Other Controversies section? It's a tv show about science. Maybe it should be in one of those catagories. Personally, I thought the show was really good. I have some skepticism of the AGW theory, but I could care less if they talk about it in the show. It's still a great show designed to bring big ideas to a large audience. Neil deGrasse Tyson is a good host, obviously with some connection to Carl Sagan. Sagan's widow even has writing credit on this show. My kids loved it. I got to watch the original with my mom when I was a teenager (Sunday evening the TV was always on PBS). Now my kids get to watch with me.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,206,308 times
Quote:
Um, the Imperial Roman Catholic Church never killed anyone.

However, they did murder several hundred million people in cold blood.

That includes the cold-blooded murder of 8+ Million women who were "witches." And that doesn't include the "witches" the Protestant Churches murdered.

Kinda makes you wonder why Jesus never bothered to tell the popes that there's no such thing as "witches."

Cruel joke....

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies