Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:48 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,212,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I can't think of a single one. Which is why I asked that other person what it is about a map of the universe that clued her in.
I just gave you one outside of your cherry picked criteria.

Edit: there is no such thing as a "map" of the universe.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:59 PM

679 posts, read 616,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
I just gave you one outside of your cherry picked criteria.

Edit: there is no such thing as a "map" of the universe.
Astrophysicists create the first accurate map of the universe: It’s very flat, and probably infinite | ExtremeTech

Actually....there kinda is

Old 03-18-2014, 05:16 PM

Yes emphasis on "kinda"...then again, my daughter can draw a bunch of stars and planets on construction paper and call it a "map of the universe" too.

But the quandary remains that this "map" lends itself to the "fine tuned universe" theory because it doesn't get around the cosmological constant. So, therefore, it's also in conflict with the theoretical physicists who explain away the issue with the multiverse hypothesis.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:54 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,290,203 times
All I want is to know what someone who isn't this chin music person sees in a plot of known galaxies that makes them think god is real, and what they think it would look like otherwise. I thought it was a reasonable question.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yes emphasis on "kinda"...then again, my daughter can draw a bunch of stars and planets on construction paper and call it a "map of the universe" too.

But the quandary remains that this "map" lends itself to the "fine tuned universe" theory because it doesn't get around the cosmological constant. So, therefore, it's also in conflict with the theoretical physicists who explain away the issue with the multiverse hypothesis.
Until the GUT actually comes into being there's always going to be a conflicting theory that will be talked away with one or another hypotheses. Simply put, this could have been much easier stated with one simple addition: the word "known"

Your daughters scribbles could in fact be called a map, the veracity of it may be called into question though.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
All I want is to know what someone who isn't this chin music person sees in a plot of known galaxies that makes them think god is real, and what they think it would look like otherwise. I thought it was a reasonable question.
For anyone it's going to be a personal opinion that will colored by their own intuitions and observations, otherwise it would in fact be proof of a god (which as we all know does not exist).

For me personally its some things that are easily described as coincidental, completely based on the relative nature of conceptualizing that bit of info, but they always seem like a thing that makes me think that maybe there is a deity.

Things like the beauty in Euler's equation make me think that there could very well be a god. Is that deity the Christian god? I wholly doubt it, and if they are then I think there's some issues going on, but it is something completely personal that when taken out of the context of my own perception becomes quite meaningless.

As it is with faith in general in a lot of ways.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,033,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Evolution is not a sound scientific theory.

People who rightly question evolution aren't "rejecting science", they are criticizing the promotion of something that has more holes than a chunk of Swiss cheese.

Exactly right. Religion has embraced science, whether these people choose to admit it or not. THEY are the ones who can't tolerate religion. They have become the thing they rage against; closed minded and intolerant.

It says a lot that they'll discuss String, Multiverse, Quantum Mechanics, and believe that everything came from nothing (Big Bang) yet somehow "know that God doesn't exist" It's hypocritical at best, because even God, divine intervention, and intelligent design are valid theories.

God said "Let there be light" and there was light. Sounds like a big bang to me.

Last edited by surfman; 03-18-2014 at 06:23 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Until the GUT actually comes into being there's always going to be a conflicting theory that will be talked away with one or another hypotheses. Simply put, this could have been much easier stated with one simple addition: the word "known"

Your daughters scribbles could in fact be called a map, the veracity of it may be called into question though.
Yes, they "know" what is a mathematical representation of a map.

That's not a map. Maps are charted territory, directly observed.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:46 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,744,651 times
Quote:

Explain how this nullifies the map to a point where (according to you) no map of the universe exists.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,729,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Slate must be one of those 'religious reactionary' blogs-
Slate didn't express any of the corrupted perspectives that religious reactionaries regularly express. Slate took minor exception to the dramatic license taken. It is not surprising to see right-wingers jump to try to draw a parallel between Slate's reasonable, sensible, measured commentary on the program and their own inanely ridiculous, dogma-blinded prattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies