Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 03:09 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,813 times

Advertisements

My brother-in-law is one of those Republicans. He works as a consultant rather than an employee, so he doesn't get employer based insurance. He couldn't get his own prior to ACA due to a history of alcoholism.

He's glad to have coverage now, but still bitched about how inept the roll-out was (true) and how difficult it was to find someone to ask questions. He managed, though, and he has coverage for himself and family, so it's a muted complaint.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:35 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Again I have to stress that our solution needs to be an American solution. So the delivery will remain by and large private. And thus prices and costs and HC spending will not be the same everywhere. An American solution means by and large private docs. We will of course need more private docs, and more docs means more stuff being done on more patients. And then more overall costs.

With UHC not only will we have many more patients, but each patient will have more done.

I don't see us going for a pure central UHC system, where the docs are publicly hired and the hospitals are Gov't owned.
I agree with you. Frankly, the idea of being forced into the lowest cost solution is not always going to be the way I want to go and if I can afford to do better, I should be allowed to do so.

Here's an example for you - my daughter had a very rare tumor in her head that caused complete one-sided facial paralysis. While not life threatening if she didn't get immediate surgery, timeliness was necessary to ensure the return of her facial function. We paid the extra it cost to get her same day surgery. This was available because the free market offered it. I've been in touch with other people around the world who had this same tumor (it's so rare, it's a very small group). Those over in England are waiting around eight months, on average, to get surgery and that's considered fast for them. They've ended up with complications, infections, and all sorts of issues my daughter did not. Their lives were never in jeopardy, no, but they couldn't get the option to shop around and get a better appointment and/or better surgeon. I could. That's an American solution.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:21 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Cathy McMorris Rodgers acknowledging that her conservative districts is a big beneficiary of Obamacare thinks its time to move past trying to repeal the ACA. She if one of the first Republicans to fold on this issue. Of course is it any wonder when about 25% of her supporters are on Medicaid or signed up for the ACA in some parts of her district. Pretty hard to have a town hall meeting expecting the usual suspect Tea Party-Medicare recipients showing up complaining about big gubbermint and finding you have a whole lot of people on Medicaid and and ACA showing up who voted for you asking you why you want to get rid of their health care? The Spokane District she represents is the perfect microcosm of Republican politics...mostly white and very dependent on the government while they complain about the government.

McMorris Rodgers says ACA likely to stay - Spokesman.com - April 25, 2014

The PJ Tatler » McMorris Rodgers: Obamacare Is Here to Stay
Its not over until the fat lady sings! Democrats has threaten regular Americans to sign up of pay dearly! This whole concept is so Un- American. The Replacement plan that Gov. Jindal is a step in the right direction. The Key factor is regaining the Senate.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
All that is true. It is also true that you can sign up just because you finally can get insurance you can afford.
It's terrible insurance for the poor but yes it is very inexpensive compared to the previous system.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:19 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
When you are forced to do something, or pay a tax/penalty....what ever the hell you want to call it, what would yo do?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
When you are forced to do something, or pay a tax/penalty....what ever the hell you want to call it, what would yo do?
Yeah, but the reality is that Republican opposition to the ACA has always been steeped in the idea that it will be too popular to repeal once all the provisions are in place and in full use.

That nightmare is slowly coming true for Repubs. Not that there was ever any chance of repeal.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, but the reality is that Republican opposition to the ACA has always been steeped in the idea that it will be too popular to repeal once all the provisions are in place and in full use.

That nightmare is slowly coming true for Repubs. Not that there was ever any chance of repeal.
When you can provide true factual numbers, then we can talk. Until then, there is nothing.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:30 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Its not over until the fat lady sings! Democrats has threaten regular Americans to sign up of pay dearly! This whole concept is so Un- American. The Replacement plan that Gov. Jindal is a step in the right direction. The Key factor is regaining the Senate.
Feel free to regain the senate and repeal the ACA. I would laugh and laugh. 4 years later the Democrats would have the senate, house, and presidency.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:30 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
I still support the public option game plan.

Probably combined with the Medicaids and Medicare. Basically a means tested, with copays and deductibles, Medicare for all who want and need it.

But we need to always keep our private options open for those with the desire and the means.

My daughter also has a rare condition that no private plan would cover. Now she has good coverage with recent HC reforms. So we need to keep our options open. Public and private.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
When you can provide true factual numbers, then we can talk. Until then, there is nothing.
Well, we had a pretty major election where the ACA was a major issue. Do those numbers count?

It will take few years before we really know how this will work out. Maybe people like you will be able to invite people like me to a meal of crow. Or maybe the invitation will go the other way.

I do think it is safe to say that we will not go back to the status quo pre-ACA. And I think that is a *good* thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.