Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 AM

947 posts, read 1,466,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Wrong. There is a conservative (and better) solution. It's called the free market system.
You mean the system that has been in place for over 30 years. Funny how that has led the US to be ranked 36th yet be number one in spending.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:20 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,217,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
My brother-in-law is one of those Republicans. He works as a consultant rather than an employee, so he doesn't get employer based insurance. He couldn't get his own prior to ACA due to a history of alcoholism.

He's glad to have coverage now, but still bitched about how inept the roll-out was (true) and how difficult it was to find someone to ask questions. He managed, though, and he has coverage for himself and family, so it's a muted complaint.
This is the Pubbies' biggest fear: when all the dust settles, people will find out that the ACA didn't cause the sky to fall and that they were lied to by their Republican representatives about how "awful" the ACA was going to be for them ... and this goes triple for the Tea Partyers who were the biggest liars.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:23 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,260,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
I honestly don't think people have any inkling of how messed up the healthcare system is until them or there family has to deal with a serious chronic health condition. I have already had two chronic issues that will follow me for the rest of my life, each no fault of my own what so ever. One i was born with and the other that I contracted (my family had no history of it and I was pretty healthy when I got the diagnosis. . Each time I have had to deal with both, its been a hassle to deal with the private insurance company. I would rather deal with anybody else, even the DMV, compared to the private insurance company.

Part of the problem was that the ACA didn't do enough to tackle the main issue of healthcare in America; costs. I didn't stop hospitals or the pharmaceutical industry from pricing gouging Americans. Hopefully, in the future, we can figure a way to rein in costs. I will say this: If it wasn't for the ACA, I might have ended up paralyzed and had a lower quality of life. So far that, I am grateful for the ACA.
I had a major operation in March this year. The bill total for hospital care only was jut under $69k. The negotiated deal brought it done to just a bit more than $15k. In my book that is NEGOTIATING and i cannot ssee how i got gouged.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:26 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,260,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
it wasnt, it was someone who self admitted to getting the handouts..

I'm getting one as well, but shouldnt be..
You always come across as thinking you are better than quite a few around here. At least in my eyes. Why aren't you that great American that won't take this terrible insurance?

Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,200,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The reason for the mandate is actuarial. Like any insurance pool, it needs to be large enough to pencil out. I'm sure this was a huge issue as the ACA was developed, I doubt it surprises anyone that this is the biggest problem people have with it.
Arent you at all offended that a bill which was pushed forward with the intent to insure 30,000,000 americans, actually requires 30,000,000 americans to remain uninsured, in order to pay for the bill?

Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,222,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Cathy McMorris Rodgers acknowledging that her conservative districts is a big beneficiary of Obamacare thinks its time to move past trying to repeal the ACA. She if one of the first Republicans to fold on this issue. Of course is it any wonder when about 25% of her supporters are on Medicaid or signed up for the ACA in some parts of her district. Pretty hard to have a town hall meeting expecting the usual suspect Tea Party-Medicare recipients showing up complaining about big gubbermint and finding you have a whole lot of people on Medicaid and and ACA showing up who voted for you asking you why you want to get rid of their health care? The Spokane District she represents is the perfect microcosm of Republican politics...mostly white and very dependent on the government while they complain about the government.

McMorris Rodgers says ACA likely to stay - Spokesman.com - April 25, 2014

The PJ Tatler » McMorris Rodgers: Obamacare Is Here to Stay

Completely agree and thank you for the sage wisdom.

Both political parties and all of us should have to feel this pain first hand. When we realize that it is more about new taxes than about actually ever covering anything, then maybe we can scrap it.

Tell me more about big governments plans for fixing of all our problems and meeting our needs?

Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The GOP opposition could not have lasted too long simply because Obamacare is fundamentally a GOP plan. If the Dems had passed a universal or single payer system, the Repubs could maintain their opposition longer, but it would not have lasted too much longer either.
With a lot of the crap fixed from the GOP plans.

There is a reason why the GOP healthcare efforts were opposed for years. Namely because they would have drastically caused insurance rates to skyrocket.

Gop version would have caused many insurance companies to fold because plans that would have offered less would dominate since the insurer that offered less would be headquarted in another state that allowed them to offer less. See there are a number of laws enacted in certain states that require insurance companies to offer certain things such as care for diabetics. But under the GOP plan a health insurance company would be able to skirt that law if headquartered in another state. So the plans that didn't cover diabetics but of course didn't tell people signing up for insurance from these cheaper plans. The cheaper plans of course would drive the more expensive plans that covered diabetus out of business so diabetics in these states would find that their diabetus medicines and medical conditions/treatments not be covered by their insurance like they would have been expecting.

Then there was the issue of fraud. If an insurance company under the GOP healthcare plan had done fraud the person wouldn't be able to sue or press charges against the health insurance company since the health insurance company would not be located in their state.

Democratic efforts to fix these issues were revoked by the Republicans.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,200,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You always come across as thinking you are better than quite a few around here. At least in my eyes. Why aren't you that great American that won't take this terrible insurance?
It was my understanding that the law requires one to sign up or pay a tax..

I dont pay taxes.. left me with little choice.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I had a major operation in March this year. The bill total for hospital care only was jut under $69k. The negotiated deal brought it done to just a bit more than $15k. In my book that is NEGOTIATING and i cannot ssee how i got gouged.
Your trying to use logic on Republicans. The same Republicans who thought medicare plan D which was promoted as saving money on healthcare actually cost US taxpayers over a billion dollars since the Bush admin refused to negotiate for lower prices for prescription drugs under the plan. These were bulk purchases and since when has anyone else besides a Republican not negotiated for a better price when buying in bulk from a manufactorer?

Old 04-28-2014, 07:34 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,043,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It was my understanding that the law requires one to sign up or pay a tax..

I dont pay taxes.. left me with little choice.
That's why the OP's argument was a fallacy on its face. Correlation does not equal causation. The OP is arguing that since Republicans are buying a product (which is mandated), then they must like it. Polling shows that to be untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.